Basilisk

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
KingBeaver
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Basilisk

Post by KingBeaver » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:53 pm

Hello everyone, I was wondering if the Basilisk is worth fielding and if not what should I get to replace it.

willjr
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Basilisk

Post by willjr » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:22 pm

A basilisk is great to field. place it where it has a good eye over an area and punish any unit that dares to cross it. you can find many uses for it and the great part is you can guess range units that are blocked from LoS. it can be a real bother for the enemy but strategic placing determines how well it will do.
81st Jäger Company
imperial guard 2000 points

Me rambling on about warhammer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMZxYQqD ... re=channel

Stephen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Stephen » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:47 pm

A basiilisk is great, the main downside is the minimal rnage but on a 6X4 table that leaves roughly half of it if you deploy around the corner of your deployment zone.

Al in all a squadron of full basilisks is great no matter what you say. Against horde armies it's death from the skies and against marines somethings bound to hit with 3 of them. And they're pretty cheap as tanks of this calibre go...

All in al they get my stamp of approval and in Apoc they get my 'only an idiot wouldn't want these babies' stamp. So get some basilisks man!!!

And actually al of the artillery units are cool (Man I love the medusa, it's like a demolisher canon with twice the range :twisted: ) so take a god long look at your codex when deciding between artillery
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

Damn Lucky
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Damn Lucky » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:54 pm

Direct Firing the Basilisk can be prety punishing to the enemy. As long as you can avoid returning anti-tank fire.

A Battery of bassies direct firing can cause more wounds then models in the unit.

But do to barrage rules, 3 bassies in a single unit is a waste since all the templets are connected. Your better off with two seperate batteries of 1-2 bassies each to put down the pain.

Stephen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Stephen » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:07 pm

Actually setting up 3 basilisks is a must in my opinion.

If you want a direct firing earthshaker equivilent then thats whey we have the standard leman russ...a basilisk is meant for indirect firing. So if you take 3 your almost guaranteed to hit your target and even if it scatter against a horde army it'll likely hit something
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

BigDuke6
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #7Group Build Badge #8Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by BigDuke6 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:02 pm

Agreed. When you want to soften the enemy up, a squadron of Basilisks is gonna make an impression (or is that depression?). It's classic tactics.
"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.”
- General George S. Patton Jr.