Deathwatch relic question

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Deathwatch relic question

Post by Gamer-Guy » Thu May 31, 2018 10:23 am

With the relic “beacon angelis” it says that at the end of my movement phase, I can teleport a unit from anywhere on the table, or in reserves so that they are within 6” of the bearer.

My question is this: can I have my character with the beacon deep strike, then use the relic in the same turn?

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Deathwatch relic question

Post by Koonitz » Thu May 31, 2018 10:58 am

Gamer-Guy wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:23 am
With the relic “beacon angelis” it says that at the end of my movement phase, I can teleport a unit from anywhere on the table, or in reserves so that they are within 6” of the bearer.

My question is this: can I have my character with the beacon deep strike, then use the relic in the same turn?
Wait, there are other Deathwatch relics than that stupid tome?

Traditionally, models with wargear/rules like this have to be on the board at the start of the turn for them to be used. However, I am not currently aware of such a clause, and I have seen other examples where things that happen simultaneously, but the order that the controlling player resolves them matters.

Until clarified, I would say yes, so long as you choose to place him down first. However, if you wish to be fair to previous examples, I would limit your use of the relic in this way. While I find it surprising it was missed in the FAQ (I suspect because everyone has that tome shoved so far up their backsides they don't realize there are other relics), it will most likely find its way into the FAQ in a future update.

You should send this question to the GW team, too, by the way, so that they do put it in the FAQ.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Thu May 31, 2018 3:42 pm

Nothing in the beacon’s rules says that the model has to be on the table at the start of my turn.

How would I contact the GW team?

Also, speaking of that tome...
Can vehicles gain the benefit from it?

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu May 31, 2018 6:05 pm

Gamer-Guy wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:42 pm
Nothing in the beacon’s rules says that the model has to be on the table at the start of my turn.

How would I contact the GW team?

Also, speaking of that tome...
Can vehicles gain the benefit from it?
I believe the Tome merely allows you to select a different "Chapter Tactic" to take effect for a given turn. It does not alter who is normally affected by that "chapter tactic".
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Thu May 31, 2018 6:27 pm

Koonitz wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:05 pm

I believe the Tome merely allows you to select a different "Chapter Tactic" to take effect for a given turn. It does not alter who is normally affected by that "chapter tactic".
It reads a little funny.

“At the start of each of your turns, pick a mission tactic. Until the start of your next turn, you can choose to apply either the effects of the mission tactic that is currently active or the mission tactic you have chosen for the Tome of the Extoclades to any Deathwatch unit from your army within 6” of the bearer each time they attack.”