Going second with Astra Militarum

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
simonbromley
Now we're getting somewhere...

Going second with Astra Militarum

Post by simonbromley » Mon May 28, 2018 10:31 am

Hello, an am an Astra Millitarum and need your advise, the problem is that we I go first I win about 6/7 games, however we a go second I win none and the games are not great as well. Any of what unit to take to help this, am happy to take allies if this helps.

The army list I typically play.

Simon Bromley Battalion Detechment, Astra Militarum Cadian 6 Command Points (1500)
229 Knight Commander Pask with Punisher gatling Cannon, three heavy Bolters, storm bolter and hunter killer missle HQ
46 Primaris Psyker with Force stave with the powers smite, pyschic barrier, gaze of the emperor HQ
39 Company Commander with Kurov's Aquila, Power fist and Bolt gun , warlord with grand strategist HQ
30 Astropath with laspistol with the power Smite, Nightshroud E
42 Tech-priest enginseer with laspistol, servo-arm, Omnissian axe E
66 Infantry Squad with 7 lasgun, Bolt gun and 10 frag grenades with Plamas Gun and Autocannon T
54 Infantry Squad with 7 lasgun , Bolt gun and 10 frag grenades with Grenede Launcher and Heavy Bolter T
54 Infantry Squad with 7 lasgun, Bolt gun and 10 frag grenades with Grenede Launcher and Heavy Bolter T
58 Infantry Squad with 7 lasgun, Bolt gun and 10 frag grenades with Grenede Launcher and Autocannon T
61 Infantry Squad with 7 lasgun, Bolt gun and 10 frag grenades(0) and Missle Launcher T
118 Hellhound with Inferno Cannon,Heavy flamer, Hunter Killer Missle and storm bolter FA
113 Hellhound with chem cannon ,Heavy flamer , Hunter Killer Missle and storm bolter FA
61 Scount Sentinel with Lascannon with Hunter Killer Missle FA
145 Manticore with Heavy Bolter , storm bolter HS
190 Leman Russ with Demolisher Cannon, Hunter Killer Missle, Lascannon and storm bolter HS
160 Leman Russ with Battle Cannon , Hunter Killer Missle, Heavy Bolter and storm bolter Taken as one choice
33 Heavy Weapon Squad with 3 Morters HS
Last edited by simonbromley on Mon May 28, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Going second with Astra Militarum

Post by Koonitz » Mon May 28, 2018 10:57 am

Welcome to the forums. Someone with more experience with the AM will respond and help.

However, please remove all individual points for models and wargear. It is against forum rules to post them. Nothing more specific than total unit cost after all upgrades.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Signet-Powers » Mon May 28, 2018 11:24 am

Best way is to extend the game with AM and avoiding significantly nerfig yourself at the same time is to use a bunch of reserves. The tallern strategem can help your current list with this, as well as the use of Militrum Tempestus in general.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Tue May 29, 2018 11:45 am

Can't run Pask with Tallarn and some folks require you to paint the units to look differently if you soup up different regiment traits. Otherwise, it'd be annoyingly confusing if I ran a detachment of blood angels, a detachment of raven guard, but they're all painted ultramarines.

I'm not sure what the meta in your local area is like, but terrain actually plays a big deal in 40k and it sounds like if you're going first and winning most of the time, the issue might be you need more items that block line of sight. You could introduce the ITC rules where the first floors block line of sight even if there are doors, windows, and openings, or houserule that woods block line of sight unless you're in them, although they technically could if you pack enough trees into them. Either ways, the table should be set up in a way where no spot on the table gives you complete vision. Check out this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=106135

Playing missions with turn by turn victory points help too. That way board control over a period of time is rewarded rather than who gets the laugh last at the end of the game.

simonbromley
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by simonbromley » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:44 am

Thanks for this, you have been helpful and give me thing to think about.