ASTRA MILITARUM - setting up a new army

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
Extreme Terror
Now we're getting somewhere...

ASTRA MILITARUM - setting up a new army

Post by Extreme Terror » Sat May 19, 2018 5:25 am

Hi!

I recently considered picking up a new army, Astra Militarum. I've read quite a lot about them but was wondering if any experienced AM players could give me some advice on where to start.

Currently, I am favoring Catachan and also I do not want to spam hordes of infantery but rather play a little more on the tank side, LRs, Hellhounds, Basiliscs, ... The question for me is: how do I support the tanks with infantery? Obviously, Seargent Harker and Master of Ordnance, but besides that the only thing I know I want to play are some weapon teams and some ratling snipers. Any ideas or important synergies I probably missed?

Thanks ;)

Extreme Terror

Re: ASTRA MILITARUM - setting up a new army

Post by Extreme Terror » Sat May 19, 2018 11:38 am

would something like this make any sense?
[+] Expand
++ Brigade Detachment +12CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [88 PL, 1498pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Regimental Doctrine: Catachan

+ HQ +

Company Commander [2 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

Company Commander [2 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

Tank Commander [12 PL, 213pts]: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters
. Command Battle Tank: Battle Cannon

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 47pts]
. 8x Guardsman
. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Flamer
. Sergeant: Laspistol

. 8x Guardsman

. 8x Guardsman

. 8x Guardsman

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 60pts]
. 7x Guardsman
. Heavy Weapon Team: Lascannon

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 60pts]
. 7x Guardsman
. Heavy Weapon Team: Lascannon

+ Elites +

Master of Ordnance [2 PL, 30pts]

Ratlings [2 PL, 45pts]
. 5x Ratling: 5x Sniper Rifle

Ratlings [2 PL, 45pts]
. 5x Ratling: 5x Sniper Rifle

Sergeant Harker [3 PL, 50pts]

+ Fast Attack +

Hellhounds [6 PL, 101pts]
. Hellhound: Heavy Bolter, Turret-mounted Inferno Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Basilisks [7 PL, 108pts]
. Basilisk: Heavy Bolter

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [10 PL, 168pts]
. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [10 PL, 168pts]
. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters

++ Total: [88 PL, 1498pts] ++

hislittlecuzin
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by hislittlecuzin » Sat May 19, 2018 12:13 pm

Leman Russ Squads can hold their own quite well but commanders REALLY buff Imperial Guard.

If you go Mechanized(Lots of tanks) you need some tank commanders because company and platoon commanders can't give orders to tanks.

If you don't want a lot of infantry you'll need some transports. You can get Chimeras for land transport or Valkyries for air transport. I haven't tried any Taurox but they look like good weapons platforms.

If you don't have anything and want to do some mechanized specifically I would recommend going something like this:
[+] Expand
Knight Commander Pask with punisher Gatling cannon
Infantry Squad in Chimera
Infantry Squad in Chimera
Leman Russ Battle Tank
Pask is really only used by armies that have 2-3 Leman Russ Battle Tanks to support him.
These mechanized armies tend to benefit armies like Armageddon Steel Legion more.
Since you're catachan you're more close combat and flamer oriented.

Most people don't use sentinels because they had better options in past editions.
I would go something more like this for Catachan:
[+] Expand
Colonel Iron Hand Straken (or Commisar. Either Lord or Yarrick)
Sergeant Harker
Infantry Squad with Flamer in Chimera with Heavy Flamer
Infantry Squad with Flamer in Chimera with Heavy Flamer
Scout Sentinel Squad 2 Sentinels with Heavy Flamers
Hellhound Squad with Hellhound variant
I was going to include either a veteran or special weapons squad in a valkyrie for a fast moving unit that can drop a squad of guys with heavy and/or standard flamers to blaze your opponent from behind.

Ratlings are pretty good but can feel pointless in small numbers. I haven't killed much of anything with Snipers nor Ratlings but if I had larger numbers of them they could easily do some major damage.

Catachans are almost like the Khorne of Astra Militarum with the high strength, close combat abilities & flamer benefits. As I said earlier, you'd go more fast attack with Catachan
Guardsmen are like ants. No matter how many get vaporized, they just keep on coming. Why can't pancakes be the same? I would pass the salt, but I just got tabled.

Extreme Terror

Post by Extreme Terror » Sat May 19, 2018 1:21 pm

The reason why I'm thinking about Catachan is on the one hand I quite like the design of the models and they seem easy enough to paint quickly and on the other side because of the reroll vehicles get for their weapons, I don't really want to go close combat to be honest... more like a gunline and have some flamers ready for a counter engage for melee oriented armies... Catachan not a good choice for this?
Which of the LR versions are recommendable from their layout?

hislittlecuzin

Post by hislittlecuzin » Sat May 19, 2018 5:07 pm

Extreme Terror wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 1:21 pm
The reason why I'm thinking about Catachan is on the one hand I quite like the design of the models and they seem easy enough to paint quickly and on the other side because of the reroll vehicles get for their weapons, I don't really want to go close combat to be honest... more like a gunline and have some flamers ready for a counter engage for melee oriented armies... Catachan not a good choice for this?
Imperial Guard isn't a close combat army by any means. The Catachans simply have higher strength so IF you went close combat with Guard, you'd likely go Catachan.
Gunlines might be more Cadia or Militarum Tempestus. This doesn't mean you CAN'T use Catachan Models. To be fair, I don't think you can buy Modian nor Armageddon models from Games-Workshop anymore.
Leman Russ have many varients. I'd say Battle Tank for general use. Gattling one for anti infantry/hoarde, and vanquisher for anti-vehicle.

EDIT:
Those are the 3 most popular Leman Russ tanks. I'd say the Codex has some pretty good descriptions and the rules really outline what they're good for. When in doubt, Leman Russ Main Battle Tank.
Guardsmen are like ants. No matter how many get vaporized, they just keep on coming. Why can't pancakes be the same? I would pass the salt, but I just got tabled.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sun May 20, 2018 3:51 am

hislittlecuzin wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:07 pm
Leman Russ have many varients. I'd say Battle Tank for general use. Gattling one for anti infantry/hoarde, and vanquisher for anti-vehicle.

EDIT:
Those are the 3 most popular Leman Russ tanks. I'd say the Codex has some pretty good descriptions and the rules really outline what they're good for. When in doubt, Leman Russ Main Battle Tank.
I find, from watching bat-reps and whatnot, the Executioner (plasma) and Punisher (gatling) are both leaps and bounds more popular than any other Leman Russ variant.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Signet-Powers

Post by Signet-Powers » Mon May 21, 2018 8:36 am

Koonitz wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 3:51 am
hislittlecuzin wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:07 pm

EDIT:
I find, from watching bat-reps and whatnot, the Executioner (plasma) and Punisher (gatling) are both leaps and bounds more popular than any other Leman Russ variant.
I suspect that's possibly a holdover from the Punisher being as overpowered as it was last edition with Pask.
Extreme Terror wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 1:21 pm
Always go with the models you like as you're... well you know, gonna be painting a lot of them. I'd also not worry too much about the regimental traits, no one will care too much if you use your catachan models with the Mordian or Cadian trait.

The Catachans benefit anything with a D6 number of shots, so Battle Tanks, Executioners Basilisks and Hellhounds. Seargent Harker is also extrmely overpowered as his re-roll 1 stacks on top of that regimental doctrine and applies to any unit. So stick him next to tanks, artillery, etc...

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Mon May 21, 2018 9:39 am

Signet-Powers wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:36 am
I suspect that's possibly a holdover from the Punisher being as overpowered as it was last edition with Pask.
Not at all. It's because, when they idiotically gave all Leman Russ tanks the ability to fire twice, 49 S5 shots, hitting on 3's, rerolling 1's has a way of dealing with the horde meta (note: sometimes hitting on 4's, if you don't just want to take commanders in Punishers).
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Signet-Powers

Post by Signet-Powers » Mon May 21, 2018 10:13 am

Koonitz wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:39 am
Signet-Powers wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:36 am
Not at all. It's because, when they idiotically gave all Leman Russ tanks the ability to fire twice, 49 S5 shots, hitting on 3's, rerolling 1's has a way of dealing with the horde meta (note: sometimes hitting on 4's, if you don't just want to take commanders in Punishers).
Yeah but I find it overkill. You can only target a single unit and most people go MSU now so the most thosee 40 Punisher cannon shots can kill is 10. Wyverns, Mortars and Taurox Primes are much cheaper for the same job.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Mon May 21, 2018 4:04 pm

Meta is dependent on your local scene. Over here, the punisher isn't that great because we're going for tank and monster heavy which makes it not as efficient. When in doubt, magnetize.