IG and Armor Ballistic Skill

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

IG and Armor Ballistic Skill

Post by mrazek22 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:15 pm

Seeing as how all IG armor is 4+, I am trying to find a way to give that better odds. I know with a tank commander I can re-roll 1s, but I am wondering if I can drop that to 3+ with any specific skill or stratagem? It seems like the Baneblade is really all or nothing. You either slaughter, or hit nothing. Also, I am playing pure IG. I know there must be ways to lower the BS with other detachments, but I am just looking for pure in house abilities.

Thank you!

Raschier
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: IG and Armor Ballistic Skill

Post by Raschier » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Vostroyans have a stratagem that gives you a +1 to your BS for a unit.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:25 pm

However, Regimental rules don't apply to Super Heavy Auxillary detachments so the best way to squeeze it in is to run it in a supreme command. Be careful if you're mixing and matching regiments because tournaments and ITC tend to force you to have to paint each detachment a different color.

Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Signet-Powers » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:41 pm

Would "overlapping fields of fire" work for a baneblade as you're using it on the enemy unit, not the baneblade itself? And it blanket covers anything with cadian keyword.

So have like a single lasgun from an infantry squad target the enemy unit, then use the strategem, then after that use the Baneblade on it. If its cadian it automatically benefits from +1.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:51 pm

So I built a list revolving around 1 Baneblade, 1 Shadowsword, and 1 Stormlord. It's a mock up of the unit that attacks the planet in "Shadowsword" the book. I have Pask, and a squad of Guardsmen in the Storm Lord. Works out to exactly 2000 points. If I give all three 4 sponsons, and a Storm bolter.

So If they are all cadian, and fire at the same "unit" they get +1? I thought it was "model" not "unit".

Signet-Powers

Post by Signet-Powers » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:17 pm

No it only says unit

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:27 pm

And then someone drops Alaitoc and it's - 1 to hit. :roll:

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:18 pm

It doesn't really matter. I am going to be rolling dice by the buckets. The storm lord alone is over 40 shots. My only concern is what, if any, orders apply to baneblades? Can Pask even order a baneblade? Secondly, I am thinking about dropping the Stormlord for a Hellhammer, because I think the automatic rule with the HH will keep mobs off me far better than the BRRRRRT from the Stormlord.

What is the specific rule that allows each gun on the Bane blade to independently target different units? I know my friend is going to say they all need to target the same unit.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:22 pm

mrazek22 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:18 pm
What is the specific rule that allows each gun on the Bane blade to independently target different units? I know my friend is going to say they all need to target the same unit.
The rules for shooting are clear that every weapon in a unit (including every weapon on a single model that has multiple) may be targeted independently.

This goes for models as small as a Grot, and as large as a Warlord titan, and everything in between.

Targeting all weapons at a single unit is from 7th and was left with 7th.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:17 am

HAH! A Salamander command vehicle and a Trojan Support Vehicle, which gives it re-rolls on hits and bonuses to hit! You can make a single baneblade (Shadowsword, lets be honest here) re-roll 1s?(Need hard confirm on this, anyone got IG Armor Codex from FW) and +1 to hit on a single tank in the unit.

hislittlecuzin

Post by hislittlecuzin » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:52 pm

What do you mean the Baneblade is total destruction or nothing?
[+] Expand
Baneblade cannon has heavy 3d6 with BS 4+ at highest health.

18 / 3 = 6 average hits.
3 should do wounds with 3 damage each.
9 damage to protect against.

Then you also have an autocannon and demolished cannon and twin heavy bolter.
I find Astra Militarum's overwhelming numbers typically balance out their poor accuracy.
[+] Expand
I think a commissar would help keep your infantry in the fight. If you use conscripts or infantry squads, you can have huge masses of infantry shower the enemy with laser fire. I never felt the low ballistic skill hampered me. It's typically the to wounds that are difficult to get past. Then as I usually fight space marine's, their low armor save requirement saves them.

If you go cadian, you can reroll 1s in instances.
I prefer Mordian Iron Guard for increased leadership & overwatch protection.
Guardsmen are like ants. No matter how many get vaporized, they just keep on coming. Why can't pancakes be the same? I would pass the salt, but I just got tabled.