Help with list

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
JmOz01
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Help with list

Post by JmOz01 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:01 pm

So I made this list, it is the mini's I have right now, I need to expand up to 2000 points. Would like suggestions on what to do...I also have not Figured what type of detachment to use for the Aux Force yet

Shadow Wolves Reborn (TOTAL 1730)
First Division (1476)
HQ

134 Captain in Gravis Armor
148 Primaris Lieutenants x2 (
097 Primaris Librarian
Troops
360 Intercessor Squads (5man each) x4
Elites
069 Primaris Ancient
068 Primaris Apothecary
Fast Attack
270 Inceptor (3 man)x2
Heavy
330 Hellblasters (5 man)x2

Aux Force (254 points)
HQ

95 Primaris Captain
Elites
159 Legion of the Damned (Chainsword, Multi melta, Plasma pistol)

TheOddOne
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Help with list

Post by TheOddOne » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:06 am

You should move your all elites to the Aux. force and make a vanguard detatchmet.

JmOz01
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by JmOz01 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:19 am

TheOddOne wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:06 am
You should move your all elites to the Aux. force and make a vanguard detatchmet.
Good idea, depending on what I use to fill in the other 270 points. I was toying with the idea of 3 units of guardsmen...I think that would be about 150 points? (I only have Index 1 and SM Codex) Then I could do 2 Battalions (Moving a HQ).

For what it is worth, I plan on using Raven Guard rules

Thinking on this, would it not make more sense to give up the one CP and move a troops squads down to Aux and make in a Patrol? That way my elites could gain the Chapter benefits...

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:39 pm

True space marines don't rely on the help of other factions! (Unless you're grey knights and you have a terrible codex)

It might break the theme of the primaris list, but you could roll a jump captain with the inceptors and LotD so that they get another layer of reroll 1's. I'd also consolidate the squads together and use combat squads if you want to split. That way you have the flexibility of deploying less drops or choosing to split during deployment. Depending on your local meta, you may want to consider proxying the inceptors as wielding the plasma guns. Your army looks effective for dealing with infantry, but if someone drops an all tank list on you, it'll be a pretty one sided affair.

JmOz01
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by JmOz01 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Would a repulsor help out?...fits theme and should be close to points...could maybe drop the legionairs for something else as well

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:43 pm

The issue with the repulsor is it's sort of like a centerpiece land raider. Chances are, you'll bring one or two of them which your opponent could focus fire on with whatever anti tank they have and blow it up easily. The unfortunate side effect of how elite armies play this edition is they're better suited if you run either all infantry or all vehicles. Annoyingly, GW never made any alternative transport options which is why I had to move away from running my mechanized transport lists of 7th edition to infantry spam.

Btw, here's the list I run if you want something to reference. It's almost a demi company with mix of old and new marines and I think it's a 3/5 on my difficulty scale as a balanced list (1 is beginner friendly, 2 is casual, 3 is balanced, 4 is competitive, 5 is tournament worthy). It's a very shooty list that hasn't failed me yet and has 3 layers of reroll hit auras so that I could spread my marines out for better board control. The more optimized version downgrades most of the primaris characters to old marines and runs the raven guard chapter tactics.
Brigade Detachment (1999)
Ultramarines Chapter Tactics

HQ
- Captain in Gravis Armor (Takes Chapter Master Upgrade)
- Captain (Power Axe and Storm bolter)
- Captain (Jump Pack and Power Maul)
- Primaris Lieutenant (Power Sword)

Troops
- Intercessors (5 man, Bolt Rifle, Grenade Launcher, Power Sword)
- Intercessors (5 man, Bolt Rifle, Grenade Launcher, Power Sword)
- Tactical Squad (5 man, Plasma gun, Sergeant w/Combi-plasma and chainsword)
- Tactical Squad (5 man, Plasma gun, Sergeant w/Combi-plasma and chainsword)
- Tactical Squad (5 man, Plasma Cannon)
- Tactical Squad (5 man, Plasma Cannon)

Elites
- Company Champion
- Primaris Ancient (Standard of the Emperor's Ascendant)
- Primaris Apothecary

Fast Attack
- Assault Squad (5 man, Jump Packs, 3 Plasma Pistols)
- Assault Squad (5 man, Jump Packs, 3 Plasma Pistols)
- Inceptor Squad (5 man, Assault Bolters)

Heavy Support
- Hellblasters (5 man, plasma incinerators)
- Devastator Squad (5 man, 2x Plasma Cannon)
- Devastator Squad (5 man, 2x Plasma Cannon)

JmOz01
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by JmOz01 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Well I consider myself a level 2 :) ...never played before but have played wfb, mordheim & necromunda

I have a weird situation in that through a series of events I have the marines from 2 boxes of dark imperium...so that will be the core of my beginning army...trying to minimize expenses

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Plasmas surprisingly can do wonders against high toughness units, but the caveat is you have to always overcharge. However, with reroll 1's from the captains this risk should be pretty minimal and you can always bring a brother back with the apothecary.

I think your list is good for 1500 point games if you drop the LotD (by the way, you would make you lose chapter tactics if you mixed a detachment of them in which is why I don't advise towards making that separate vanguard). I'd definitely take the standard of the emperor's ascendant and keep them near the hellblasters so that you can punish your opponent for each model they kill on a 3+. But yeah, watch out for heavy tank and monstrous creature lists. Your best solution against those are the hellblasters, but a clever opponent would focus fire on them first and then toy with the rest.

JmOz01
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by JmOz01 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:55 pm

I thought chapter tactics was by detachment not by army

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:29 pm

If you make a vanguard detachment with legion of the damned, the primaris ancient, and apothecary, they lose out on chapter tactics because I believe LotD count as a separate chapter. Basically entices you to get chapter tactics by not souping up, but then again the elite primaris marines are characters so they shouldn't be targeted anyways.

JmOz01
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by JmOz01 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:57 am

Ok, yup that is how I thought it worked

Noticed a mistake (Librarian needed a force not power sword)
Also decided to outfit each of the Intercessor Squads with a Power Sword and aux grenade launcher...Net total of 24 less points, But Battalion one is an even 1500 points, which I like.

As for Aux Force to get me up to 500....

Well have no good ideas. I do like the idea of a real mix bag of Imperials. I have the unit of LoTD and one Primaris Captain...

Obviously, while concerned about the detachments, I am more interested in getting up to 2000 points, then I can figure out the "best" way to arrange them

JmOz01
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by JmOz01 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:36 am

As an exercise in cheese

Shadow Wolf Aux Battalion
HQ
95 Primaries Captain (Warlord, Ultramarine rules, note main battalion uses Raven Guard)
30 Company Commander (Kurav's Aquila)

Troops
141 3x Guardsman units w/Plasma Gun

Elite
85 Culexus Assasin
125 LoTD
===
476 points of PURE Cheese