Sentinal weapon options - Chapter Approved.

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Sentinal weapon options - Chapter Approved.

Post by mrazek22 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:19 pm

Did you read the analytical break down? As a mathematician and a masters degree in accounting, their logic is sound and well thought out. The Exterminator and the Vanquisher are statistically pointless. The Battle cannon outperforms and undercuts on cost.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:28 pm

As a PhD candidate in Bioinformatics and data science, it's not a wrong analysis. Just saying 1d4chan is sometimes either usually out of date on their meta analysis or it's advice that doesn't really apply to your local meta. Also it's likely the person who writes for the guard tactica doesn't write for the other factions. But yeah Plasma Executioners are the way to go, especially if you can get reroll 1's off of them. Second is the battle cannon.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:38 pm

I am glad to see this forum has it's fair share of Doctors, but I still don't see why the analysis of units must only be done by "tournament winning" players or by renowned gaming websites. If you want the models for funsies, then buy as many as you want, and may the dice be with you. All this is saying is that if you roll shots 100x with the Vanquisher, and 100x with the Battle Cannon, the BC will kill more every time.

And to be fair, given the frequency of somewhat, shall we say silliness in the games I've played in just NY, MA, ME, NH, and DC, I don't see what makes 1D4 chan a bad website. Hell, I played a Slaneshi Deamon player last month in Mass who instead of using tape measures, had/has pre measured large vein y neon pink man packages. 12, 24, and one 36. The website, despite it's fouler origins, still has good analysis.

Better in fact, and I'll stand by this, than "professional" websites like Bell of Souls or Dakka Dakka. Or even ones that have a pay wall in front of their unit analysis...

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:47 pm

I think it's more of a sense of bias for me of what I read when they wrote stuff for 7th edition. I honestly haven't looked much at 1d4chan for 8th edition.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:49 pm

So, Autocannons then? Or are we sticking with flamers? Because despite my best prayers, Sentinels didn't get a points buff, or a rules change.

Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Signet-Powers » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:10 pm

mrazek22 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:19 pm
Did you read the analytical break down? As a mathematician and a masters degree in accounting, their logic is sound and well thought out. The Exterminator and the Vanquisher are statistically pointless. The Battle cannon outperforms and undercuts on cost.
Never denied the maths (But you don't need close to a phd to work our Mathshammer, It's justs basic probability, most of us learn it in the earlier years of high school), my point was that bad luck of the dice roll is easier to mitigate with a Vanquisher, as it has less dice to roll, less times it needs to be rolled and each dice has a higher margin for a successful wound so re-rolls and accuracy buffs have a greater effect.

In terms of actual tabletop application, a Vanquisher is better than a Battle Cannon at wounding vehicles/high toughness units, as its bad rolls are easier to prevent and each wound does more damage.

EDIT::
mrazek22 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:49 pm
So, Autocannons then? Or are we sticking with flamers? Because despite my best prayers, Sentinels didn't get a points buff, or a rules change.
Well the FAQ's actually changed a lot. Scouts are no longer needed to prevent deepstrike charges, however they are now the only thing that Guard had that can cross the deplpyment zone turn 1. Multiple with flamers would be excellent here (though I ain't got multiple). So I'm undecided here.

The Armored sentinal meanwhile I will probably go with the plasma cannon, given that my army just went up by 5CP.

Hunter killer missile for both tho, that's for definite.