Sentinal weapon options - Chapter Approved.

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Sentinal weapon options - Chapter Approved.

Post by Signet-Powers » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:10 am

I've been thinking about changing my two sentinals loadouts (Armored with lascannon and Scout with h.flamer) as both are kinda underwhelming. The Lascannon tends to whiff and can't be boosted by orders like a HWS can, while the heavy flamer is actually somewhat expensive, crap range for something so easy to die and rarely gets anything done.

So, as one of our only real units to be imrpoved by Chapter Improved, (armored sentinal going up to T6). I'm gonna use that for this.

The idea i'm going for now, is to equip both Sentinals with Autocannons and Hunter Killer missiles. This provides are a higher rate of fire, decent anti-tank, anti-elite infantry and saves me 1 point altogether. Just think of what I can buy with a whole 1 point!Your mother

Another option that would cost another 3 points is to give the Armored Sentinal a plasma-cannon, which on overcharge mode is far better than the Autocannon. Problem here though is there's no way to mitigate gets hot, and unlike the Leman russ there's no vents so it'd by Bye-Bye Mr.sentinal. Just 70pts--poof! Gone like that.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Sentinal weapon options - Chapter Approved.

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:38 am

Signet-Powers wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:10 am
Another option that would cost another 3 points is to give the Armored Sentinal a plasma-cannon, which on overcharge mode is far better than the Autocannon. Problem here though is there's no way to mitigate gets hot, and unlike the Leman russ there's no vents so it'd by Bye-Bye Mr.sentinal. Just 70pts--poof! Gone like that.
Well, you could place Commissar Yarrick nearby for it's re-roll hit rolls of 1 ability, but you would have to cut a lot of edges to free the points for him, unless you aren't already fielding him in your army.
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:59 am

I would go with multi-las which come standard, only because I'm a theorycrafter, and I can't see a Sentinel team with HWs earning it's points back. I might be tempted to go missile pods, because then it's like an expensive HB, but still. The multi-las can take out weak infantry at a good clip, which is really all it's good for.

Signet-Powers

Post by Signet-Powers » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:15 pm

LordMcAllister wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:38 am
Well, you could place Commissar Yarrick nearby for it's re-roll hit rolls of 1 ability, but you would have to cut a lot of edges to free the points for him, unless you aren't already fielding him in your army.
Hmm... while maybe not Yarrick, the Cadian re-roll of 1 would be a big help if I ever use them. The VOSTROYAN strategum would be good too and guarantee it didn't blow up, but I'm not sure I'd wanna waste a CP on just a single plasma cannon rather than a Basilisk for example.
mrazek22 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:59 am
I would go with multi-las which come standard, only because I'm a theorycrafter, and I can't see a Sentinel team with HWs earning it's points back. I might be tempted to go missile pods, because then it's like an expensive HB, but still. The multi-las can take out weak infantry at a good clip, which is really all it's good for.
Except a Sentinel can rather easily kill more than its points worth in vehicles, transports and anti-armor/elite infantry. It's not as cheap as a Heavy Weapon Team, but it can easily survive longer, move about quicker and take a lot of damage at T6, 3+ without degredation.

A heavy weapon squad by comparrison, can be wiped by half an infantry squads squads lasguns. Heavy Bolters are not all that great either, almost unable to touch or hurt transports and Tanks.

Scout Sentinels also can also move 9+2D6 for objective snatching, as well denying deepstrike armies the ability to land anyway near close to your front lines with their scout move.

coldsteel

Post by coldsteel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:28 pm

I like autocannons on my Sentinals, personally, when I take 'em.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:03 pm

The only problem is you're shooting at -1 on all heavy weapons, if you are using the scout the way it's designed, which is to be on the move. If it shoots, it's hitting on 4s, -1 = 5s. That is piss poor odds to bank on it taking down a vehicle.

Signet-Powers

Post by Signet-Powers » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:22 pm

mrazek22 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:03 pm
The only problem is you're shooting at -1 on all heavy weapons, if you are using the scout the way it's designed, which is to be on the move. If it shoots, it's hitting on 4s, -1 = 5s. That is piss poor odds to bank on it taking down a vehicle.
Hence why I've been using a heavy flamer so far.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:06 pm

Or run Tallarn. :P

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:47 am

So my main issue with the Sentinal is they don't fit in the scheme of how Guard operates. They can't receive orders, there is only one stratagem that affects them and that's for early movement, and you can't use them as offensive powerhouses. They are quick Cap/Hold units only.

Now - If you were to provide them with some form of "integrated radio pods" that allow commanders to issue them orders across the battlefield, say like a souped up vox caster, I think that would radically improve them. If you could issue them some form of light vehicle specific orders.

Also, I am hoping they get some form of love soon. The guard have too many unused models with no real purpose. LOOKING AT YOU DEATHSTRIKE AND BASILISK.

coldsteel

Post by coldsteel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:17 am

mrazek22 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:47 am
Also, I am hoping they get some form of love soon. The guard have too many unused models with no real purpose. LOOKING AT YOU DEATHSTRIKE AND BASILISK.
Basilisk has a purpose. Drop death way the hell over there...
Orks (3745/255 PL)

coldsteel

Post by coldsteel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:18 am

mrazek22 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:03 pm
Nuisance value, my friend. :)
Orks (3745/255 PL)

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Basalisk has no value considering it's ability is easily replaced in more effective fashion by other models. Have you ever heard of anyone needing a 20' shot? And a Deathstrike has a UNLIMITED RANGE. There has never been a game with a 20' table. There is no need. It's whole ability is easily replaced by a Lehman Russ. If you want the "no line of sight rule" then use a Wyvern, or 3x squads of Mortar HWTs. Only 99pts, and they put out more wounds on average. If you are using a Basalisk, you are wasting points because you like the Model.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:42 pm

mrazek22 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:39 pm
If you are using a Basalisk, you are wasting points because you like the Model.
That sums up, like, 3/4 of my collection and at least half of the models in my army lists. "wasting points because you like the Model."
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:45 pm

I just found the Baslisk is only 50$ USD. In the words of Brian Fellows,

"THATS CRAZY!"

Signet-Powers

Post by Signet-Powers » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:37 pm

mrazek22 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:39 pm
Basalisk has no value considering it's ability is easily replaced in more effective fashion by other models. Have you ever heard of anyone needing a 20' shot? And a Deathstrike has a UNLIMITED RANGE. There has never been a game with a 20' table. There is no need. It's whole ability is easily replaced by a Lehman Russ. If you want the "no line of sight rule" then use a Wyvern, or 3x squads of Mortar HWTs. Only 99pts, and they put out more wounds on average. If you are using a Basalisk, you are wasting points because you like the Model.
Mortars and Wyverns are not S9 -3AP. A Basilisk is clearly not for shooting at the same thing as they are.

You gonna take out a Predator, Land Raider, Wraithlord or Carnifex with mortars?