Sponsons or no sponsons?

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Sponsons or no sponsons?

Post by Signet-Powers » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:13 pm

Meet "Dalek".
[+] Expand
Dalek is a big boy and very deadly. With T8, 12 wounds and 3+ armor he is a force to be reckoned with. I feed him and he is becoming strong.

However, aside from his Double-Firing Demolisher cannon Dalek only has a single lascannon, a good weapon but only a single shot (hence why I call him Dalek).

Now, I don't particularly mean to add any sponsons to the model (though I may proxy them from time to time or even stick a punisher cannon in his hole), however it got me thinking about how people feel about sponsons on their tanks. I'm going to fous on Leman Russes here but feel free to chip in if you use them on Land Raiders, Predators or whatever else.

- No sponsons:
The cheapest option, and a good way to Spread out your firepower. After all, a Heavy weapon may be more survivable on as many different platforms as possible. However, there's a tax to doing this, with even a cheap HWS costing extra points (if only a small amount). They also won't be benefit from the tanks natural survivability (kill all anti-armor and you're laughing) or potenial bonuses.

- Heavy Bolters:
Cheap, and combiens well with anti-infantry turrets like the Punisher or Battle Cannon. But it may be vulnerable to -1 to hit rules such as Ravenguard tactics, movement limitations and the general lowering of Ballistic skill as you lose wounds. Best taken if you're looking to save points but still some put out some worthwhile shooting.

- Heavy Flamers:
The shortest range and requires the Tank to get up close (possibly into harms way), but it also auto-hits and so are naturaly more accurate and reliable than most other weapons. At more than double the cost of a Heavy Bolter though, its ultimatly hard to justify unless you're specifcally planning getting up close and personal with it, so plan carefully.

- Plasma Cannons:
Everyone loves plasma this edition, and with Tank commanders re-roll 1 orders this is a solid option by all accounts. Cheaper than a Heavy flamer too, but limited to D3. A good general all-rounder but be warned that two plasmaguns are cheaper than a Cannon and have a higher rate of fire.

- Multi-Meltas:
The most expensive and only a single shot. This is a highly risky choice but if it pays off you will easily do more damage than the other weapons. If you wanna take it make sure it's on a Tank Commander that's buffing himself.

So that's my opinion anyway. Feel free to disagree entirely, after all that's what this topic's here for.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Sponsons or no sponsons?

Post by mrazek22 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:48 pm

HBs....every time. Everything else is a waste of pts or won't get used. HBs will earn their points back, and then some. Nothing like 6xS5AP-1 shots to kill off any termies or whatever are getting to handsey on ol Dalek. Defend her honor, and what not.

That being said, if you want to go Meltas, you could Make Dalek into a Chargin' Bargin' Battle Wagon of PURE DOOM to anything in range. Nothing like 3 point blank shots of Strength WHOCARESWEHITIT and AP DOESNOTMATTERITSDEADNOW to take the piss right out of the meanest whatnot in the galaxy.

:)

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:26 am

Meltas would probably have the best synergy with the demolisher cannon since they're both 24" and anti tank. However, I don't find it to be the best variant compares to the other ones unless you take Tallarn for no penalty for movement. You'd have to build your force to have it work together with the cannon's short range. On the other hand, I ran a tank battle last night against 5 Leman russes with my own space marine tanks and had a set of triple Vindicators that did great.

Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Signet-Powers » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:02 am

Ronin wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:26 am
Meltas would probably have the best synergy with the demolisher cannon since they're both 24" and anti tank. However, I don't find it to be the best variant compares to the other ones unless you take Tallarn for no penalty for movement. You'd have to build your force to have it work together with the cannon's short range. On the other hand, I ran a tank battle last night against 5 Leman russes with my own space marine tanks and had a set of triple Vindicators that did great.
Well I run it Vostroyan so it gets like 30 inches with thise guns. I'm mainly using it because I used it last edition and it still does a lot of damage. Very much a "point at something and it dies" tank.

Though I do sometimes slot a gatling cannon on and run it as a punisher. Thing is though with everyone running MSU now 40 shots can sometimes feel like extreme overkill.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:40 pm

Yeah, whatever is most effective is going to depend on the cycle of your local meta. For us, folks are running more heavy units with anti infantry weapons so infantry lists are in a rough spot until everyone leans more anti armor and then we switch back like a pendulum. xD