Custodes/Blood Angels 2000 Points

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
GenSphinx
Bronze Vault Member

Custodes/Blood Angels 2000 Points

Post by GenSphinx » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:20 pm

So i'm starting to build an army of Custodes since i'm a huge fan of melee combat. One thing I have noticed with them though is a huge lack of psycher protection. Sure there are some stratagems you can take to help offset it but I don't think it's enough. So I decided on this idea I think it might be pretty disgusting. I'm looking for some advice here so please comment and let me know what you all think of it.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [76 PL, 1482pts] ++

+ HQ +

Shield Captain in Allarus Terminator Armor [8 PL, 144pts]: Castellan Axe, Eagle's Eye, Radiant Mantle, Warlord

Shield Captain in Allarus Terminator Armor [8 PL, 144pts]: Castellan Axe

+ Troops +

Custodian Guard Squad [11 PL, 215pts]
. Custodian: Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield
. Custodian: Guardian Spear

+ Elites +

Vexillus Praetor [6 PL, 122pts]: Guardian Spear, Vexilla Magnifica

Vexillus Praetor [6 PL, 142pts]: Guardian Spear, Vexilla Imperius

+ Fast Attack +

Vertus Praetors [15 PL, 285pts]
. Vertus Praetor: Salvo Launcher
. Vertus Praetor: Hurricane Bolter
. Vertus Praetor: Hurricane Bolter

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [27 PL, 516pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Armoury of Baal: 1 additional Relic of Baal, -1 CP

+ HQ +

Librarian Dreadnought [9 PL, 172pts]: 1. Quickening, 3. Shield of Sanguinius, Furioso fist, Storm bolter, The Veritas Vitae

Librarian Dreadnought [9 PL, 172pts]: 1. Quickening, 3. Shield of Sanguinius, Furioso fist, Storm bolter

Librarian Dreadnought [9 PL, 172pts]: 1. Quickening, 3. Shield of Sanguinius, Furioso fist, Storm bolter

++ Total: [103 PL, 1998pts] ++

The Veritas Vitae will help me get some command points back since it only says "When you use a stratagem on a 5+ you get one CP back." The dreadnoughts I didn't give wings too because I plan on keeping them in the middle of the blob of Custodian guard protecting them, but once they get in combat they will have the shield on each of them which gives a 5+ invulnerable, plus with quickening they'll have +3 on Charge and advance rolls plus an extra 1d3 attacks. The magnifica grants the custodes around them -1 to shooting hit rolls for hostile units and the Imperius gives them one extra attack in melee combat. So this is an idea i'm kicking around and i'd appreciate some constructive advice before I pull the trigger on the models.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Custodes/Blood Angels 2000 Points

Post by mrazek22 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:21 pm

I have yet to see a player use a Custodes army. Not to say they aren't good, but there aren't enough battle reports to make an educated stance on whether or not it's "worth it". The only metric that matters is if you like the army or not.

Otherwise if you just want to win, go with Dark Reaper spam. But the new update is due out in the next 4 days, so I'm guessing they are catching a big fat nerf bat to the face.

GenSphinx
Bronze Vault Member

Post by GenSphinx » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:28 pm

I prefer Imperium units, I currently have Blood Angels, Black Templars and now slowly building Custodes. So melee is kinda my thing, love it more then anything. Since my Templars aren't as much fun as they used to be with me coming back from 3rd edition and all my vows are gone I'm thinking Custodes might be as fun. So currently i'm painting my Custodes in a Templar look to them so it's going to be my shout out to my Templar days. Custodes so far have been a ton fun (i've only been able to drop about 1k points). Bikes are really fun and I've seen the love they got so far. I didn't know their is a update coming out in a few days but I would like to see what people really think about this listing above.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:34 pm

GenSphinx wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:20 pm
The dreadnoughts I didn't give wings too because I plan on keeping them in the middle of the blob of Custodian guard protecting them, but once they get in combat they will have the shield on each of them which gives a 5+ invulnerable, plus with quickening they'll have +3 on Charge and advance rolls plus an extra 1d3 attacks.
Remember that in Matched Play, a single psychic power may only be manifested once per psychic phase, NOT once per psyker per psychic phase. By taking the same powers on all three, you are limiting yourself to 2 casts per phase, plus whatever smites you have left.

Thus, you will have shield (unless it fails or is denied) on ONE dreadnought and Quickening (same caveats) on ONE dreadnought. Not all three. Remember that when you plan your lists.

You may be better off taking 3 cheaper living Librarians to get your anti-psyker bubble, or, if you wish to be fluffy, a couple of Sisters of Silence units, which traditionally do fight with the Adeptus Custodes.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

GenSphinx
Bronze Vault Member

Post by GenSphinx » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:41 pm

Koonitz wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:34 pm
GenSphinx wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:20 pm
The dreadnoughts I didn't give wings too because I plan on keeping them in the middle of the blob of Custodian guard protecting them, but once they get in combat they will have the shield on each of them which gives a 5+ invulnerable, plus with quickening they'll have +3 on Charge and advance rolls plus an extra 1d3 attacks.
Remember that in Matched Play, a single psychic power may only be manifested once per psychic phase, NOT once per psyker per psychic phase. By taking the same powers on all three, you are limiting yourself to 2 casts per phase, plus whatever smites you have left.

Thus, you will have shield (unless it fails or is denied) on ONE dreadnought and Quickening (same caveats) on ONE dreadnought. Not all three. Remember that when you plan your lists.

You may be better off taking 3 cheaper living Librarians to get your anti-psyker bubble, or, if you wish to be fluffy, a couple of Sisters of Silence units, which traditionally do fight with the Adeptus Custodes.
Where does it say that you can only cast it once per psychic phase? I don't remember seeing that anywhere, not doubting you but I'd like to read for my own knowledge.

GenSphinx
Bronze Vault Member

Post by GenSphinx » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:50 pm

Scratch that, I found it. Interesting, will have to change somethings, maybe assassins will be a better option, I don't really want to shell out as much as they are asking for sisters of silence even though I don't know the rules for them and don't have anything to put them in a detachment. The idea of me using the dreadnoughts was they could easily have parts swapped out and be used with my existing blood angels.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:28 am

Assassins require their own detachment, which if you keep your setup, is an issue? How many dets can you have in one army? Their easiest det requires 4 of them, thats almost 500 points for a few models that likely won't earn that back in a melee balanced army. You can sacrifice one or two command points and go for snipers, which is great for anti-leader, but its up to you. It's really good to knock out their C&C one the first turn.

BUT, as the new update rolls out, it's going to make snipers relatively useless, as they can no longer target leaders unless it's the closest enemy, which it never will be.

If I may, drop the assassins, and Dreads, and go for one superheavy. Grab yourself a land raider redeemer. They are about 400 with multi-meltas, assault cannons, bolters, and a firestorm cannon.

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 am

mrazek22 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:28 am
BUT, as the new update rolls out, it's going to make snipers relatively useless, as they can no longer target leaders unless it's the closest enemy, which it never will be.
Where is this coming from???
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

GenSphinx
Bronze Vault Member

Post by GenSphinx » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:14 am

That is what I'm wondering, I remember 15 years ago Vindacare assassin's could target characters not having it now would destroy their entire flavor and completely make them worthless.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:25 am

Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Signet-Powers » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:29 am

I... don't see anything there that says snipers can't target characters.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:34 am

No, it says characters can't be targeted, unless..... Which I was inferring to mean that Snipers can target characters, as long as they follow this rule, meaning distance.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:39 am

Honestly this has been a b****ing post rule since 8th dropped. Immortal 4 man character kill teams, Snipers ruining the entire army effectiveness on the first turn, etc. This harkens back to the old days when you didn't even unpack if your opponent brought out TAU or GK. Because what is the point. If a Sniper team can range the board, and eliminate your entire HQ by turn 2, it's somewhat unfair.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:01 pm

1) The current rules are that characters cannot be targeted unless they are the closest model, REGARDLESS of line of sight. So a closer model, whether out of line of sight, or untargetable (such as being engaged in combat) prevents you from targeting the character.

2) Beta rules means that characters do not count for targeting other characters. Thus a block of multiple characters do not protect each other.

3) Sniper rifles (and some sniper-based models/units/characters) have rules that allow them to target characters, regardless of other restrictions. As such, sniper units, and sniper characters like the Vindicaire, do not care about your silly character targeting rules and may freely target whatever character that can be seen.

----

As for snipers being OP, I have give a hearty laugh at that. Sniper models and units are nowheres near the top tables at tournaments because they're useless against a canny opponent and incredibly weak against anything BUT characters. If you have an army that relies on characters, then leave those characters out in the open when you know you're against enemy snipers, you deserve to get them shot in the head.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch