Catachan warlord trait

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
scumbagprince
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Catachan warlord trait

Post by scumbagprince » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:05 pm

Is it just me or is the Catachan warlord trait the most poorly worded rule you have ever read? I'm fairly positive I know what its trying to say but the more I read it the less sure I become, anyone else?

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Catachan warlord trait

Post by Koonitz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Welcome to playing a Games Workshop game. Trust me, it ISN'T the most poorly worded example, and I say that not even knowing what the rule is. We have 30 years of poorly worded examples to pull from. Every edition has dozens of examples of Rules as Intended VS Rules as Written arguments. So much so that we have abbreviations set up for it. RaI VS RaW.

If you need help interpreting it, I'm sure we can help. Either someone who knows the Guard codex can hop in, or you can quote the rule here and I'll see what I can figure out about it.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

scumbagprince
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by scumbagprince » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:46 am

The rule as written with fluff which first seemed off is
"Catachan officers dive into the thick of the fray without hesitation, their blades and their teeth bared mortal enemies hold little fear for those who have fought the mega-fauna of a death world jungle and survived."

this to me seems to be directly saying that mortal enemies are not afraid of Catachan officers even though I think they we're trying to say the opposite?

The rule as written is
"This warlord can perform a Heroic Intervention if, after the enemy has completed all their charge moves, they are within 6" of any enemy units. This warlord can move up to 6" when performing a Heroic Intervention, so long as they end the move closer to the nearest enemy model. In addition, if your warlord charged, was charged or performed a heroic intervention, then until end of turn you can re-roll failed hit rolls made for them."

and upon writing this out I had the epiphany that we use plural pronouns as gender-neutral pronouns now don't we, which would make that rule actually seem to be written properly to me, even if its a bit confusing figuring out who "they" and "them" are and also figuring out if the enemies have to be within 6" of their enemies or my enemies.

At first I thought the rules with fluff was telling me "enemies are not afraid of Catachan officers" therefore "you may re-roll the enemies misses in the combat faze" which seemed to be the exact opposite of what they intended to write.

Now I'm at the point where I think I know what it says but I'm still not 100% sure.

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:11 am

The Warlord is the established subject of this paragraph, and so in all instances of they/them, the rule is referring to your Warlord.

So the rule is saying:
This warlord can perform a Heroic Intervention if, after the enemy has completed all their charge moves, they (the Warlord) are within 6" of any enemy units. This warlord can move up to 6" when performing a Heroic Intervention, so long as they (the Warlord) end the move closer to the nearest enemy model. In addition, if your warlord charged, was charged or performed a heroic intervention, then until end of turn you (the player) can re-roll failed hit rolls made for them (The Warlord).

To explain it further;
A comma can mark a halt in the sentence in order to introduce a related clause, and a second comma continues the sentence. So you can actually read the sentence clearer by ignoring parts within commas until later. For example:

"This warlord can perform a Heroic Intervention if, after the enemy has completed all their charge moves, they are within 6" of any enemy units."
can be turned into:
"This warlord can perform a Heroic Intervention if they are within 6" of any enemy units after the enemy has completed all their charge moves.

and

"In addition, if your warlord charged, was charged or performed a heroic intervention, then until the end of turn you can re-roll failed hit rolls made for them."
can be turned into:
"In addition, until the end of turn you can re-roll failed hit rolls made for them if your warlord charged, was charged, or performed a heroic intervention."
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

scumbagprince
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by scumbagprince » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:43 am

Perfect thank you bojazz! Forgive my meager grasp of the english language.