So....Imperials vs. Tau - AAAAAAAND Go

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

So....Imperials vs. Tau - AAAAAAAND Go

Post by mrazek22 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:26 am

So, the new codex is out, and it looks HAWT. Riptides are buffed back into iconic levels, and their basic infantry can now boast serious rapid fire pain. Not even gonna mention Marker light spam, but hey, that was there before.

So: Thoughts on tactics for countering Tau armies? I am thinking get in fast and tie them up? Don't stand at range? Duck and Cover?

As Drax the Destroyer (a well known Catachan Sgt) once said: "I think of them as paper people."

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: So....Imperials vs. Tau - AAAAAAAND Go

Post by Marit Lage » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:10 am

Honestly, same as before. They're about as sturdy as a wet noodle in close combat, and now that monstrous creatures don't have in-built AP-5, they're more vulnerable than ever. Get in close, and bring the pain.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:30 am

Except the riptide will be upwards to costing 350 ish points while Guard can still spam out double tapping Leman Russes for almost half of that. They're still also BS4+ so all you really have to do is get rid of markerlights if they bother to bring any and they'll be missing you half the time. I don't think the tau are going to be as crazy as they were previous editions since the markerlight table isn't as amazing as last edition and jump shoot jump is gone except on the warlord with a relic. The thing you may have to worry about is crisis suit alpha strikes, but guard have more than plenty of bubble wrap to keep them out of range of any of your valuable targets.

Deathwatch205
Silver Vault Member

Post by Deathwatch205 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:44 am

Well the easiest way for me has been running three psykers and Spamming smite and other destructive powers. And then backing it up by 2 15 man death company squads with jump packs and 5 thunder hammers each. Lemartes and a sanguinary priest buff them and kill things.
2,000 points Deathwatch
1,850 points Blood Angels
1,000 points Astra militarum/Elysian drop troops

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Jeffers » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:41 pm

Generally tau get a bit nervous if you get in the mix with them and in their face. They will try and nuke a target to avoid being embarrased at close range.

More or less you need diversions and duck and dive those big guns

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:19 pm

I never thought about this until now, but does rough terrain cover factor into charges? If a unit is in cover, say trees, does that affect my ability to charge them?

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:40 pm

mrazek22 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:19 pm
I never thought about this until now, but does rough terrain cover factor into charges? If a unit is in cover, say trees, does that affect my ability to charge them?
As a general rule, no longer. Such a rule did exist in 7th (-2 to charge distance when charging out of, through, or into difficult terrain or cover). In 8th, as a general rule, you are not negatively impacted, movement wise, by terrain (excepting when you may need to move vertically).

There are a couple pieces of terrain with datasheets in the rulebook that do affect movement and charge distance, however, so make sure if you want to use these rules, you are clear with your opponent (ie: barbed wire will slow any infantry advancing or charging over them).
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:34 pm

I believe trees actually do.