All Infantry Astra Militarum List Building

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
cadianshock
MiniWarGaming Beginner

All Infantry Astra Militarum List Building

Post by cadianshock » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:14 pm

The title says it all, Infantry for the Emperor!

The article takes a look at the many benefits that can be gained from going infantry only in an Astra Militarum list...

https://cadianshock.com/astra-militarum-infantry-list/

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: All Infantry Astra Militarum List Building

Post by mrazek22 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:11 pm

This looks really good! Congrats on the work.

cadianshock
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by cadianshock » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:26 pm

mrazek22 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:11 pm
This looks really good! Congrats on the work.
Hello! Thanks - it takes ages to write one of this. I appreciate the feedback.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:14 pm

Minis look good and the tactics are pretty sound! However one thing I would address is that a lot of tournaments are very limited on time (2.5 hours per match) and some major ones are considering using chess clocks with time evenly divided between two players to curb slow play. As a result, super horde armies are going to find themselves a lot more unwieldy in this environment and will struggle to get full points in since some organizers require you to get a full 5 turns in. You may have to come up with doing clever things for your horde like making movement trays, but I think it's going to force players to think strategically about how to balance time and model count. I'm personally for putting a timer as a balancing mechanic against hordes since elite players are definitely struggling this edition so if it forces folks to build a more balanced list, I'm all for it.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:23 pm

For easier mass unit moves, has anyone come up with a viable method of pickup them all up at once and moving them? I saw one method where a guy used template discs with 10 men on each disc, and 4 equaled a conscript squad etc. So he only ever had to move 4 things. When a model died, he plucked it off the template.

I'm not familiar with tourny rules regarding "assistance" that is not "GW sanctioned". But if it's even remotely like store rules, I am betting it's a No-go. It still represents interesting methods that people are thinking about to "speed up" the games.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Movement trays seem to be a popular option as well as asking your opponent to help move them to their approximate location, although there's also some word floating around about lowering the game sizes from 2k to even 1.5k.

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 am

I have a question on the list he posted at the end. Is that 8 Mortar teams or squads?
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

cadianshock
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by cadianshock » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:29 am

coldsteel wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 am
I have a question on the list he posted at the end. Is that 8 Mortar teams or squads?
8 Teams of 3 - Max Mortars!
Ronin wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:14 pm
Minis look good and the tactics are pretty sound! However one thing I would address is that a lot of tournaments are very limited on time (2.5 hours per match) and some major ones are considering using chess clocks with time evenly divided between two players to curb slow play. As a result, super horde armies are going to find themselves a lot more unwieldy in this environment and will struggle to get full points in since some organizers require you to get a full 5 turns in. You may have to come up with doing clever things for your horde like making movement trays, but I think it's going to force players to think strategically about how to balance time and model count. I'm personally for putting a timer as a balancing mechanic against hordes since elite players are definitely struggling this edition so if it forces folks to build a more balanced list, I'm all for it.
Yeah the tournament issue a big one, and timing. Its certainly not recommended for that unless you are super hot on the rules and no minimum movement. Trays seem a hot topic!

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Something I just learned this weekend. Big flaw in my all infantry army. I go second. Against Dark Eldar, Tau, and other armies get a major bonus from my deployment. Dark Eldar are based around going first. I got wrecked 3 games in a row because I was half way deployed when my opponent had his whole army on the table.

Raschier
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Raschier » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:06 pm

That also can be used to your advantage, as is written in the article. You just place your cheap units first, then when he is all deployed you place your more expensive troops to counter or avoid their units. A guard player should not count on going first in his strategy.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:30 pm

Can you explain what "cheap" means then, because aside from my command squads, the whole army is made up of 65-80pt units. MY command squads are a little over a hundred. I honestly have no clue what you mean "cheap units first".

Raschier
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Raschier » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:52 pm

Your infantry squads, Conscripts, your company and playoon commanders, your command squads, your deep strikers (these might not be cheap, but you can put them in reserve). 65-80 points is cheap btw for a unit of 10 man.

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:55 pm

mrazek22 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:30 pm
Can you explain what "cheap" means then, because aside from my command squads, the whole army is made up of 65-80pt units. MY command squads are a little over a hundred. I honestly have no clue what you mean "cheap units first".
You want a few minimally-equipped squads. Throwaways with just a vox and maybe a grenade launcher. Save the points for Veteran squads or other Infantry squads.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:17 pm

Also are you playing where whoever finishes deploying first goes first or are you playing with the +1 bonus from Chapter Approved? The bonus is more widely used now.

cadianshock
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by cadianshock » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:22 pm

That’s a good point. Chapter Approved changed the way going first worked.

And yeah just deploy everything that is Deep Strike first, then throw away units and then useful units.

You can also deploy artillery that’s well hidden relatively early too. Such as Wyverns and mortars. Because their positioning is set by the available cover.