AM and Mortal Wounds

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
User avatar
Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1495
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: AM and Mortal Wounds

Post by Signet-Powers » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:19 pm

Use Tanks. Solves many problems.

Salamand3rs4Lyfe
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: AM and Mortal Wounds

Post by Salamand3rs4Lyfe » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:11 pm

I can understand the whole not using special characters arguement because i use a custom chaos warband so i don't field them personally but flat out refusing to play someone if they use them? That is beyond unreasonable and honestly quite silly.
Armies i collect:
11,115pts csm The Privileged
7,268pts Salamanders
1,200pts gsc Sons of Jormangandr

User avatar
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Posts: 2833
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:20 pm
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges
Location: Grande Prairie, AB, CA

Re: AM and Mortal Wounds

Post by Koonitz » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:23 pm

Salamand3rs4Lyfe wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:11 pm
I can understand the whole not using special characters arguement because i use a custom chaos warband so i don't field them personally but flat out refusing to play someone if they use them? That is beyond unreasonable and honestly quite silly.
I don't completely agree. In pick-up games, I do agree with you. That's the purpose of pick-up games. You get a random person.

I, however, banned all named characters in my narrative campaign. Frankly, it's a backwater world. Guilliman isn't gonna show up to rock Freiza World #459. He's got FAR more important things to do.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Salamand3rs4Lyfe
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: AM and Mortal Wounds

Post by Salamand3rs4Lyfe » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:28 pm

Ok, i can understand in narrative campaigns that you set the rules up for. However i believe he is talking about in pick up games
Armies i collect:
11,115pts csm The Privileged
7,268pts Salamanders
1,200pts gsc Sons of Jormangandr

User avatar
Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1495
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: AM and Mortal Wounds

Post by Signet-Powers » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:23 pm

I certainly feel like making these characters nigh-invicible removes all sense of tactics out of the game.

Granted I think the new rend system has contributed more to the loss of strategy in general (as have a few other things), but with a massive character like Guilleman taking up a quarter/third of someones list and blanket buffing the rest of the army to such an extreme extent (and stacking atop other buffs as well) the entire game has to revolve around that one character. No close calls, no maneuvring or cat and mouse, no random guardsman pulling off an insane MVP stunt, just 2 hours of trying to take out a single model. Even if it wasn't OP it's just boring.

But to say all characters are bad is hyperbole. My friend plays Lucius the Eternal, we've had a lot of fun moments with his abilities that affect small moments, not overshadow the entire game. Even Pask last edition who was very OP, had and still has limitations and could be taken out by a single squad.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Posts: 473
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:45 pm

Re: AM and Mortal Wounds

Post by Ronin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:21 pm

Koonitz wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:23 pm
Salamand3rs4Lyfe wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:11 pm
I can understand the whole not using special characters arguement because i use a custom chaos warband so i don't field them personally but flat out refusing to play someone if they use them? That is beyond unreasonable and honestly quite silly.
I don't completely agree. In pick-up games, I do agree with you. That's the purpose of pick-up games. You get a random person.

I, however, banned all named characters in my narrative campaign. Frankly, it's a backwater world. Guilliman isn't gonna show up to rock Freiza World #459. He's got FAR more important things to do.
Unless the world has an artefact that can doom the entire galaxy like my campaigns! :D I do understand that, but what about characters that aren't so crazy like Captain Sicarius? I mean if I brought 2nd company ultramarines to the fight it would be reasonable to have him lead it.
Signet-Powers wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:23 pm
I certainly feel like making these characters nigh-invicible removes all sense of tactics out of the game.

Granted I think the new rend system has contributed more to the loss of strategy in general (as have a few other things), but with a massive character like Guilleman taking up a quarter/third of someones list and blanket buffing the rest of the army to such an extreme extent (and stacking atop other buffs as well) the entire game has to revolve around that one character. No close calls, no maneuvring or cat and mouse, no random guardsman pulling off an insane MVP stunt, just 2 hours of trying to take out a single model. Even if it wasn't OP it's just boring.

But to say all characters are bad is hyperbole. My friend plays Lucius the Eternal, we've had a lot of fun moments with his abilities that affect small moments, not overshadow the entire game. Even Pask last edition who was very OP, had and still has limitations and could be taken out by a single squad.
The downside to that bubble though is it restricts you to playing gunline and if you play on a table with a decent amount of line of sight blocking, you could use that to your advantage and just find blind spots so his gun blob doesn't get you. Gunline means less board control and that means you can grab objectives more. I do agree he should have cost 400 points, though. However, it's not all that different from me running a Captain and spending 3 CP to make him a chapter master to reroll hits and running a lieutenant with reroll 1's to wound. That's just the space marine gimmick to have rerolls in a bubble like how you can take 6 company commanders and give everyone rerolls and whatnot.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest