75 PL list

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
skipgiblets
Silver Vault Member

75 PL list

Post by skipgiblets » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:00 pm

I am looking for some feedback on a 75 Power Level list. (It is for a league I play in at my FLGS.) What is listed below is what I consider my "nucleus" - coming in at 61PL, which gives me options w/14PL to go. I am interested in feedback for options on what to do with my 14PL, and feedback on the nucleus itself. Thanks fellow Imperialites!

Chapter - Ravenguard

Headquarters - 15PL
  • Captain
    Combi-plasma, Thunder Hammer
  • Lieutenant
    Combi-plasma, Thunder Hammer
  • Librarian
    Combi-plasma, Force Axe
Troops - 15PL
  • Tactical Squad, 5 Man
    Sergeant - Combi-plasma, Lightning Claw
    Heavy Weapon - Lascannon
  • Tactical Squad, 5 Man
    Heavy Weapon - Lascannon
  • Tactical Squad, 5 Man
    Heavy Weapon - Heavy Bolter
Heavy Support - 11PL
  • Devastator Squad, 10 Man
    Sergeant - Combi-plasma
    Heavy Weapons - Lascannons x 4
    Armorium Cherub
Dedicated Transport - 20PL
  • Razorback x 4
    Twin Assault Cannon, Hunter Killer Missile, Storm Bolter
Last edited by skipgiblets on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't like quotations, tell me what you know. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: 75 PL list

Post by coldsteel » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:46 am

Not a fan of the minimum-size Tacticals but if it works for you, go for it. As for additions, you might look at Scouts to deny deployment options for your opponent or Assault Marines due to being weak in dedicated HTH units and no threat of a deep strike by you.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:34 am

I like using min squad tacticals, but the way these are set up is kind of funky because you have a long ranged lascannon paired with a close range lightning claw. I don't think power weapons are worth it on sergeants at all because they only have 2 attacks which whiffs at least half the time. They're better spent on models that do 3 attacks at least or a giant blob of them. Then again, they are Raven Guard so I understand if you're going for rule of cool. I've never found hunter killers to be worth taking regardless of the edition, lol.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:26 pm

As a IG player, I have the freedom to have all sorts of weapons in my lineup, to tackle diverse threats, and not worry about points. As a Min-Marine player, you have to pick one style and focus. Your units are all over the place. Either go full CC, or full ranged. You don't have the unit count to split up. And your making units weaker by wasting points on things that will never get used.

The problem with low-count armies is that they are all W1 units. Are you building to capture and hold, or straight death match?

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:22 pm

I disagree. You can split up as long as you have the speed or range to support each other. My army typically fights in 3 layers of forces so it works very well for missions involving board control. His army has a decent rearguard with 4 lascannons with 10 man models for meatshields and he has the flexibility to go gunline and have the tacticals sit with them or mount them on razorbacks and push for a stronger midfield. 48 assault cannon shots are nothing to joke about. What this list lacks are vanguard units for stealing objectives in the enemy's deployment zone, but OP says he has points to spare. This is just their core units. Plus the majority of the army is -1 to hit unless you're within 12" of the units.

skipgiblets
Silver Vault Member

Post by skipgiblets » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:02 pm

Thank you for the feedback so far, but to clarify, it is a Power Level list - I don't have any points to spend. To further clarify, when I pay the 5PL for a tactical squad, I get all of the upgrades I want. In a points list I would never pay for a close combat weapon on a ranged squad, but I get it for "free" here, so why not?

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:10 pm

Oh true, I totally forgot about that lol.

skipgiblets
Silver Vault Member

Post by skipgiblets » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Ronin wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:22 pm
...What this list lacks are vanguard units for stealing objectives in the enemy's deployment zone,
So you are thinking Vanguard vets to use for the additional PL? With jumppacks a 5 man squad is 8 points, so I can't get two of them :(. Maybe assault marines?

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:25 pm

It's hard to squeeze at 75 which is why most folks play at 100 (I think that's about the same level as 2k). That said, because you're limited to 75, you don't have to have all your bases covered. I think it's better to have a strong midfield than a weak vanguard.

skipgiblets
Silver Vault Member

Post by skipgiblets » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:21 am

Gotcha. I am looking at 2 options. Option 1 is a Vanguard squad and an Assault squad with jump packs. Option 2 is a 5 man bike squad and another 5 man tactical squad.

I'm leaning towards option 2.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:49 am

The vanguard squad sounds like it would be the most fluffy and you could always proxy the assault squad so that they're a 10 man vanguard unit. Bonus points if you can fit Shrike in there too. Any thoughts on primaris marines and inceptors? If it was me, I'd throw a 10 man vanguard veteran squad with a captain and maybe a lieutenant nearby for rerolls and inceptors behind them to shoot into bubble wrap with their assault bolters to help clear the way for the vanguard to get closer and charge whatever the bubble wrap is protecting. If you pair them up with a librarian, you can cast Veil of Time to reroll the charge distance. I wouldn't expect the vanguard to wipe anything out before being cut down, but they're handy for disrupting shooty support units like leman russ's. Alternatively, you can go cheap with assault marines instead of vanguard and use them as a throwaway unit to disrupt while the rest of your army closes in for the kill or bring in flyers that can use their speed to catch up to where the jump packs drop and offer fire support.

40k Gameplay is something I find similar to Napoleonic wars so you could watch videos on cavalry tactics to figure out how to use them effectively. This guy has a pretty good idea going.

https://youtu.be/J4itcJ8Ur2c

You definitely don't want your deep strikers to arrive isolated. Whatever they charge has to have been whittled down and weakened by your midfield and rearguard units.