Thinking of starting a space marine army.

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Thinking of starting a space marine army.

Post by Gamer-Guy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:48 pm

Any tips on building a space marine army?
I have grey knights already, and I know their transports are the same (mostly).
Also, I’m wanting to run sternguard. Are they viable, or should I use interccesors instead?

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Thinking of starting a space marine army.

Post by Ronin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:40 am

The sky's the limit on space marines as they're one of the most versatile armies to play. Are you looking for a particular flavor? Following a narrative force? Following the most competitive meta? etc.

jwak
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by jwak » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:45 am

Sternguard are great! A squad of them with a banner bearer in a drop pod causes some serious pain.

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:49 am

Ronin wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:40 am
The sky's the limit on space marines as they're one of the most versatile armies to play. Are you looking for a particular flavor? Following a narrative force? Following the most competitive meta? etc.
Well, I used to play marines back in 4th, and 5th edition. And I usually tried to have a little bit of everything, with an emphasis on shooting.
jwak wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:45 am
Sternguard are great! A squad of them with a banner bearer in a drop pod causes some serious pain.
I was thinking about putting a captain with them, for the re-rolls of 1, and some close combat ability.

jwak
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by jwak » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Gamer-Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:49 am
I was thinking about putting a captain with them, for the re-rolls of 1, and some close combat ability.
That's not something I've ever tried, but sounds like a fun idea. Give it a go!

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:10 pm

I fight a guy who runs 30 sternguard surrounded by a chapter master that gives them rerolls to hit and a lieutenant that gives them rerolls of 1 to wound.

It can be pretty nasty.

Plutarch
Silver Vault Member

Post by Plutarch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:31 pm

That's an insane amount of sternguard. What's his usual loadout, and how many points are you guys playing with?

In regards to running sternguard or intercessors...
Sternguard are able to take heavy weapons as well as combi weapons (which is fantastic). Their base bolters is 30", ap-1. They are elites.

Intercessors are 2 wounds each, can't take heavy weapons but can take a grenade harness. Can't take special weapons, or combi weapons. They are troops.

Knowing this, it then falls under your playstyle.

I prefer sternguard myself - love combi weapons.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:38 pm

He runs them 10 man squads, 1 special weapon, and 1 heavy weapon similar to how tacticals are set up. His army is very gunline since he's playing them like you would in Horus Heresy, but it hinders him from being offensive so the list is deadly only if you come at him without whittling him down. They're still 3+ marines so killing them isn't an issue. They're more or less glass cannons.

Intercessors vs sternguard really depends on the theme you're trying to go for, but I've been using my intercessors as tanky meat shields to cover for the squishier tactical squad behind them. They're not bad in close combat either since you can give the sergeant a power sword and the basic model has 2 attacks each and they have pistols to shoot them off if they're still stuck in combat. One time I had a lonely sergeant run up to a terminator chaplain and stab him with a power sword.

skipgiblets
Silver Vault Member

Post by skipgiblets » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 pm

I love Sternguard. I love the look of them, and they have a lot of options for the pew-pew. There is a fun stratagem for them as well. That being said, they aren't the most competitive in the scheme of things. Because of that 3+ save, you really need to hide them in cover to protect the points they take up.
I don't like quotations, tell me what you know. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mecha82
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mecha82 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:44 am

Gamer-Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:49 am
Well, I used to play marines back in 4th, and 5th edition. And I usually tried to have a little bit of everything, with an emphasis on shooting.
Based on that it's safe to say you already know what direction you want to go to but may I ask you have you chosen chapter? I assume that you already know that currently chapters matter as no Space Marines chapters (even ones in basic SM Codex) are no longer truly vanilla so choosing one that has chapter tactic that helps with that is useful.
Warhammer 40k:
Blood Angels
Dark Angels

Somethings never change.

It was already broken when I got here.

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:17 am

Mecha82 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:44 am

Based on that it's safe to say you already know what direction you want to go to but may I ask you have you chosen chapter? I assume that you already know that currently chapters matter as no Space Marines chapters (even ones in basic SM Codex) are no longer truly vanilla so choosing one that has chapter tactic that helps with that is useful.
I only have the index, so I’m exactly sure what chapter I’m going to be using. I just know that it’s going to be a ‘successor chapter’ so I can change it up if I want to.

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:45 am

Gamer-Guy wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:17 am
Mecha82 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:44 am

I only have the index, so I’m exactly sure what chapter I’m going to be using. I just know that it’s going to be a ‘successor chapter’ so I can change it up if I want to.
You want the codex. Many more options and better ones too.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

Mecha82
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mecha82 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:18 am

Gamer-Guy wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:17 am
For one there is no reason not to get Codex if you want to play Space Marines since they have one. Secondly some chapter tactics that I could mention and that could be potential are Ultramarines one (can shoot same turn that they fell back), Salamanders one (re-roll failed hits and wounds in both shooting and combat) and Raven Guard one (enemies subtract 1 from rolls to hit against them when within least 12").
Warhammer 40k:
Blood Angels
Dark Angels

Somethings never change.

It was already broken when I got here.

Return to “Imperium”