Ive had a few people tell me that Bjorn the Fell-Handed is amazing. And I just keep thinking, how? He IS a character with 8 wounds, so he cant be target unless he is the closest model and he gives a few buffs and an extra command point. Lets hit the analysis:
Bjorn the Fell Handed:
- Just for having him in your army you gains 1 command point
- Rerolls of 1 to hit for all Space Wolves units within 6".
- WS and BS of 2+,
- Heavy flamer. Good for overwatch and auto hits on stuff
- He has a 5+ Feel no pain sort of ability where on ANY wound taken, on a 5+ he ignores it
- He comes stock with his trueclaw, which is S+5 (so plus his base of 7, is S12) Hitting on 2's rerolling 1's, and wounding basically most tanks on 3's, and anything toughness 6 (eldar and necron tanks and all infantry) on 2's, rerolling due to rerolls from the weapon. Making him basically hit and wound with all attacks with rerolls. WOAH! Then its at AP-4 which denies a LOT of things their normal saves unless there is invulns around. and to top all that off, its D6 damage...... Also if you make him your warlord, give him the +1 attack warlord trait for 6 attacks.
- He is worth a LOT of points, for around 250 points you get a hellfrost cannon (1 shot S8 Ap-4 D6 damage with Hellfrost rule or D3 shots S6 -2, 2 damage) This only gets more expencive to take dual lascannons
- He can only move 8".
- Smoke launchers. Usefull perhaps? Not sure, so its in this end of the list
- Doesnt have an invuln save. This kinda makes him a bit of a glasshammer if he gets hit with the right stuff.
- You will need to bubble wrap him if you plan on walking him up the board.
Note: All tests will be done with a 3+ save average with no invuln
- Running these stats through FOB Mathhammer page. Trueclaw For having him as the warlord for 6 attacks, He will do 20 wounds against anything T6 or lower witha 3+ save and no invuln. On on singular wound models, he will kill 6 models everytime. In other words he can solo, 5 man units of basically anything. And then be able to smash 18 wounds into T7 tanks. So he IS better off charging tanks, but he can easily kill infantry too.
- The cheapest weapon is the assault cannon, Heavy 6 S6, AP-1 and 1 damage. He will get a -1 to hit if he moves, so he will hit on 3's rerolling ones, and wounding T5 and lower on 3's (2 wounds average), T6 on 4's (1 wound average) and T7 or higher on 5's(1 wound average).
- Next up is the heavy plasma cannon with two profiles. He will get a -1 to hit if he moves, so he will hit on 3's rerolling ones. The standard profile is Heavy D3, S7, Ap-3 and 1 damage (average 1 wound on T6 or lower, less than 1 wound on T7, and less than 1 wound on T8 and higher). And the supercharged version is Heavy D3, S8, AP-3 for 2 damage (average 2 wounds on T7 or lower, 1 wound on T8, and 1 wound on T9 and higher). For hit rolls of 1 he will take a mortal wound on this.
- Next up is the Hellfrost cannon with two profiles. He will get a -1 to hit if he moves, so he will hit on 3's rerolling ones. The first profile is 1 shot S8, AP-4, D6 damage (average 2 wounds on T7 or lower, 2 wounds on T8, and 1 wounds on T9 and higher), and the second profile is D3 shots, S6, AP-2, 1 damage (average 1 wounds on T5 or lower, 0.5 wounds on T6, and 0 wounds on T7 and higher). Of course with the helfrost rule. (on models who take wounds but dont die, on a 6+ they take a mortal wound.
- Finally is the dual lascannon. He will get a -1 to hit if he moves, so he will hit on 3's rerolling ones. They are S9. AP-3 and D6 Damage. (average 3 wounds on T8 or lower, 2 wounds on T9, and 1.5 wounds on T10 and higher).
Bjorn is an absolute beast in close combat, with minimum 18 wouunds on tanks and then 6 on infantry with single wounds. His command point will help out. No invuln save is a bit of a detrement to him, but the 5+ save may help here. Him also being a character may help him screen off some shooting away from himself. I would reccomend to take either the helfrost cannon or the dual lascannons as they have the most damage output(the helfrost cannon being half theprice for one less wound would propably be a fair offset.) He will basiclaly be able to hit and wound anything with all shots or attacks with the bigger guns and his close combat weapons. Strategiclly you would either need a forgeworld droppod to get him quickly where you need, and maybe have some wulfen get in the give the rerolls to charge. otherwise its a slow slog up the board for him. Walking him up the baord, you would have to have a good shield of cheap models to take the wounds from him. such as fenrisian wolves or barebones scouts. Taking other drednaughts with him may also go okay especially the ones with Blizzard shields for a 3+ invuln save. Brutal. I beleive that Bjorn will be a great asset to any army, but you need to ensure you arent going to get absolutely annihilated by enemy firepower after you get to charge.