Why NOT do super fast?

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
Locked
User avatar
Scavvon
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 5:00 pm

Why NOT do super fast?

Post by Scavvon » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:45 pm

So over the years I've played Guard, Lost & the Damned, Inquisitorial Henchmen, and Renegades & Heretics (all human armies you'll note). But I've always been envious of the great speed, maneuverability and flexibility of deployment of the Space Marines. Now that I'm thinking about making a Space Marine force I have to ask myself, "Why doesn't every space marine player choose only units that go fast like skimmers, flyers and bikes?"

Image

User avatar
Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Posts: 4681
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:08 pm
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Location: Oulu, Finland.

Re: Why NOT do super fast?

Post by Arnathos » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:22 pm

Well the main reason is probably thathe models are expensive both money and points wise. I totally feel you on the speed though, if I played vanilla marines I'd so rock cc scouts in storms.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

User avatar
Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Posts: 5758
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:40 pm
Location: Québec

Re: Why NOT do super fast?

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:52 pm

Maybe that's because while they can do it, they will always do it less efficiently than the more specialised armies like the Dark Eldars and Eldars. So, most Space Marines players will use their fast units, but won't rely on it exclusively except maybe White Scars players of course.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

User avatar
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Posts: 2833
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:20 pm
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges
Location: Grande Prairie, AB, CA

Re: Why NOT do super fast?

Post by Koonitz » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:40 pm

Ronin wrote:Because I like big guns.
Fixed that for ya.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

User avatar
abf36
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1592
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: Why NOT do super fast?

Post by abf36 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:24 pm

I do like fast units but I've never liked the SM bikes or speeder models. If there were a wheeled buggy, like a SM version of the Elysian Tauros, or if I could be bothered to build them - I would field them.
AM 8K -¦- AS 4K -¦- GK 4K -¦- IH 10K -¦- DW 2K -¦- BT 2K5 -¦- OA 570 -¦- LC 1K5

User avatar
Wyrst
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:40 am

Re: Why NOT do super fast?

Post by Wyrst » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:53 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:Maybe that's because while they can do it, they will always do it less efficiently than the more specialised armies like the Dark Eldars and Eldars. So, most Space Marines players will use their fast units, but won't rely on it exclusively except maybe White Scars players of course.
Codex: Ravenwi- err, I mean, Dark Angels begs to differ.

User avatar
MadMedek
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:03 am

Re: Why NOT do super fast?

Post by MadMedek » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:20 pm

If you do fast sm white scars are where it's at. I super friends list with khan command squad allied with sw for Iron Priests on Thunder wolves are a fast and durable death star. You can also do an unconventional "fast" army with the Raptors chapter tactics with Lyas Issodon. Letting 3 units scout. The units are not fast themselves, however with some trickery you can scout outflank etc and be in someones face, fast. And nothings faster than mass Drop Pod Gladius Strike Force with a Skyhammer annihilation force to boot.
I have a high threshold for other peoples pain.

User avatar
Scavvon
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 5:00 pm

Re: Why NOT do super fast?

Post by Scavvon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:05 pm

MadMedek wrote:If you do fast sm white scars are where it's at. I super friends list with khan command squad allied with sw for Iron Priests on Thunder wolves are a fast and durable death star. You can also do an unconventional "fast" army with the Raptors chapter tactics with Lyas Issodon. Letting 3 units scout. The units are not fast themselves, however with some trickery you can scout outflank etc and be in someones face, fast. And nothings faster than mass Drop Pod Gladius Strike Force with a Skyhammer annihilation force to boot.
All the things you say are correct. White Scars, Raptors and Thunder Wolves make for a fast army.

However, I'm already going with Iron Hands for my chapter trait. But compared to armies like imperial guard, sisters of battle, chaos and others the space marines have a lot of fast options for units. I'm hoping to take advantage of those units to make a fast space marine army, not necessarily to tailor my list to be the fastest possible space marine army.

I guess my question is more generic, what units will make any space marine army go fast. And why doesn't everyone focus on those?

User avatar
abf36
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1592
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: Why NOT do super fast?

Post by abf36 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:28 pm

Scavvon wrote:All the things you say are correct... However, I'm already going with Iron Hands for my chapter trait.
Kardan Stronos, Chapter Master of the Iron Hands wrote:I long for the day in which my entire Chapter can ride to war in Razorbacks, vehicles whose rage can be given voice through their sanctified armament.
AM 8K -¦- AS 4K -¦- GK 4K -¦- IH 10K -¦- DW 2K -¦- BT 2K5 -¦- OA 570 -¦- LC 1K5

User avatar
Imperia
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Why NOT do super fast?

Post by Imperia » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:33 pm

Because I always see Space Marines as big and bulky and tough, clad in heavy armor. The land speeder is a fiddly thing and bikes seem kinda fiddly in their roles to me, however I do own 1 land speeder and 7 bikes, but only because it is pretty much mandatory for a deathwing, now there we go, TERMINATORS, big giant metal men who slap the hell out of whoever they feel like because they are 1ft taller than you, and just start punching stuff. And Assault Cannons. But the main reason for my love of the sturdiness of the marines such as Imperial Fists or Iron Hands stems from my first army of Dark Eldar where each vehicle could be flicked by a gnome and then spiral out of control and then I wanted something that could take a hit, enter marines, or more specifically Dark Angels using DeathWing, which rock!

User avatar
Scavvon
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 5:00 pm

Re: Why NOT do super fast?

Post by Scavvon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:09 pm

Imperia wrote:But the main reason for my love of the sturdiness of the marines such as Imperial Fists or Iron Hands stems from my first army of Dark Eldar where each vehicle could be flicked by a gnome and then spiral out of control and then I wanted something that could take a hit, enter marines, or more specifically Dark Angels using DeathWing, which rock!
Wait wait, there are Space Gnomes in 40K and all this time I haven't known about it?!? :shock:

User avatar
Imperia
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Why NOT do super fast?

Post by Imperia » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:51 pm

Why Ratling children Of Course

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest