Best use for SM Scouts?

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
Scavvon
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Best use for SM Scouts?

Post by Scavvon » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:11 pm

What is the best use and deployment of space marine scouts? I'm leaning toward ten-man squads warmed with bolters combat squaded with half going in a land speeder storm and the other half with a missile launcher infiltrating.

How does that sound? What might be my other options?

Scavvon
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Best use for SM Scouts?

Post by Scavvon » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:42 pm

General-Kroll wrote:I run a lot of scouts. Two five man close combat squads, outflanking in a speeder. They come on and cause havoc in the back line. I also run a sniper squad and a bolter squad, and have them infiltrate.
How do the outflanking hand to hand scouts work out?

The idea sounds cool and fun to me, but my most frequent opponents don't seem vulnerable to it:
Khorne Daemonkin: they would love a tiny squad to deliver themselves to them in a fragile transport (2 blood tithe points!)
Blood Angels:nothing in their back field seems vulnerable to scouts and assaulting this assault oriented army seems suicidal
Mechanized Guard: the scouts could hurt the guard in hand to hand, but they are all hiding in metal boxes

Anyway, that's my specific meta, but I'm curious to know how the scouts do more generally as well.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:46 pm

The BA player doesn't have any Devastator squads? Forcing them in close combat could neutralise them for a few turns.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Scavvon
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Scavvon » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:52 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:The BA player doesn't have any Devastator squads? Forcing them in close combat could neutralise them for a few turns.
He doesn't as a matter of fact.

HIs army is very fast. HIs anti-tank comes in the form of two 3-attack bike squadrons with multi-meltas.

Though I do now see that having scouts tie up other units could be a thing.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:44 pm

Personally, I run one 5-man bare-bones CCW/BP squad in a Storm with a Heavy Flamer. They do one of two things, depending on whether the enemy has deep strikers or not:

1) If deep strike is possible, I place the unit in the Storm and cozy up to my key units. This forces the enemy to risk a 4d6" scatter if they want to go for that unit. Almost always, this causes the enemy to chicken out and land in a far more manageable location.

2) Outflank and go for targets of opportunity. I can't count how many times I've been able to either neutralize solo artillery pieces (whether something like a Biovore or two, or a self-propelled gun like the Basilisk or a Wyvern) or claim rear-field maelstrom objectives the rest of my army would struggle to achieve.

It's an almost auto-include for me. Though I have considered going all bolters+heavy bolter and making a gunboat Storm that just skims objectives, taking pot shots at units from a comfortable distance away (this also works very well when you hold the unit in deep strike defense per point 1 above).
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Scavvon
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Scavvon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:10 pm

ln1000000 wrote:I'm a bit old school and not well versed in most competitive tactics... but I run a full 10 man squad of scouts all armed with Sniper Rifles/Camo Cloaks. Infiltrate to sit on an objective in good cover, move them to grab a Tact Obj if required. Good range to take pot shots at specific targets with Precision shots. Great for harassing units trying to get Line Breaker as well. So in short I use them to hold objectives and carefully chosen anti-infantry.
Do sniper rifles still give you Precision Shots? In 7th ed. they really restricted Precision Shots.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:18 pm

Scavvon wrote:
ln1000000 wrote:I'm a bit old school and not well versed in most competitive tactics... but I run a full 10 man squad of scouts all armed with Sniper Rifles/Camo Cloaks. Infiltrate to sit on an objective in good cover, move them to grab a Tact Obj if required. Good range to take pot shots at specific targets with Precision shots. Great for harassing units trying to get Line Breaker as well. So in short I use them to hold objectives and carefully chosen anti-infantry.
Do sniper rifles still give you Precision Shots? In 7th ed. they really restricted Precision Shots.
Yes they still give Precision Shots. The main difference is that they lost pinning and rending. Instead, the to wound rolls of 6 are resolved at AP2.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

MadMedek
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by MadMedek » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:23 pm

Mass scouts with standard bolter load outs. This is a list that is actually near the top of the food chain in the ITC right now.
I have a high threshold for other peoples pain.

Scavvon
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Scavvon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:07 pm

MadMedek wrote:Mass scouts with standard bolter load outs. This is a list that is actually near the top of the food chain in the ITC right now.
Interesting. How are these scouts squads used? Are they full ten-man units? Do they simply infiltrate or outflank? Or do they use land speeder storms? What about heavy weapons?

Imperia
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Imperia » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:40 pm

My friend actually wrote a list for me which he almost decided he would run which consisted of 6 10 man scout squads, because he saw them as better than normal marines (In the Dark Angels codex) Combat squadding with Storms so he can get offensive if he wants, but the rest can just sit back and hold objectives or walk up and try a few pot shots.

And one big thing for any scout squad that is gonna get close is MELTA BOMBS, FER DEYZ!