Codex Space Marines: Chapter Tactics

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.

Best Chapter Tactics?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:55 am

Ultramarines
10%
White Scars
25%
Imperial Fists
15%
Black Templars
5%
Iron Hands
25%
Salamanders
20%
Raven Guard
No votes
GW have done the impossible and created equality.
No votes

Total votes: 20

TheTemplar
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Codex Space Marines: Chapter Tactics

Post by TheTemplar » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:55 am

Feel free to immediately point me to the topic discussing Chapter tactics from the codex (if there is one), otherwise, read on.

Having heard a few opinions on the matter, I thought it could be fun to talk about which chapter tactics people like the most, think are the most/least powerful and those that stink like blue cheese left in the sun for a week.

Being a Templar player, I initially thought the ability to re-roll all hits in a challenge was great, as well as being able to run more effectively and have +1 to deny the witch rolls, but upon studying some of the other options... I felt underwhelmed.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Black Templars - 3000+ points
Owned
[||||||||||]
Assembled
[||||||||||]
Painted
[||||||||||]

tempest1989
Bronze Vault Member

Re: Codex Space Marines: Chapter Tactics

Post by tempest1989 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:07 am

I find it hard to compare them.. they all do completely different things tactically..

if you've got lots of bikes, ultramarines are not the best option.. if you have a vehicle heavy army, you won't use salamanders.. if you're a flamer player, don't use black templar tactics..

my advice to new players is to read codex before building any models, and choose an entire army theme before buying/building. this is extremely true for space marines, as the whole army-wide rules change dependant on the theme
Eldar: 4000
Spcae Marines: 1000
Tyranids: 1500

TheAurgelmir
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by TheAurgelmir » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:15 am

tempest1989 wrote:I find it hard to compare them.. they all do completely different things tactically..

if you've got lots of bikes, ultramarines are not the best option.. if you have a vehicle heavy army, you won't use salamanders.. if you're a flamer player, don't use black templar tactics..

This is basically how I make my lists. I either pick a chapter tactic and build a list based on that, or pick a theme and figure out the tactics.

Mecha82
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mecha82 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:04 pm

If I have to choose one I must say Salamanders chapter tactics. It does offer some serious bang with the puck so to speak. Other than that I also like Imperial Fists and White Scars chapter tactics as well.
Warhammer 40k:
Blood Angels
Dark Angels

Somethings never change.

It was already broken when I got here.

TheTemplar
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by TheTemplar » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:53 am

The White Scars chapter tactic allows bikers to have 3+ jink saves and have strength 5 hammer of wrath hits, when I compare that to, say, Salamanders (sorry Mecha), I feel some are superior to others.
Certainly, each tactic ties into fluff and army playstyle well, though time will tell as to whether certain tactics are exploited in a more competitive environment.
Owned
[||||||||||]
Assembled
[||||||||||]
Painted
[||||||||||]

slowhandgreg
Silver Vault Member

Post by slowhandgreg » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:24 am

I know Scars are all the rage but personally have stuck to Dark Angels

I used to play quite a few games with my Friends Ultra's and really enjoyed the Characters and we have a copy of the new Marine book so we've tried a few of the Chapters he likes Ultra's still but I've taken a shine to Iron Hands.

A lot of this is personal choice and playing styles and I find the 2 forces dovetail quite well

slowhandgreg
Silver Vault Member

Post by slowhandgreg » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:34 am

My mate uses Tigaurius and gives his centurions Endurance from the Biomancy table
2+ save with 4+ Feel no pain

And then takes enfeeble as well :(

IngenuityGap
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by IngenuityGap » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:17 pm

Tigurius on divination, grey knight libby on sanctic, and draigo with 5 grav/hurricane bolter centurions. Have fun!
7th Circle Chaos Daemons
Imperial Knights House Terryn
Adeptus Mechanicus - Skitarii, Cult Mechanicus, Imperial Knights
Tau

cracklingvoice
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by cracklingvoice » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:18 pm

I'm a big fan of either the Black Templars or Iron Hands, depending on how I play. If I'm playing armor/mech, Iron Hands. If I want to go light or use drop pods, Black Templars work pretty well for me.
I usually play mech, so I'm partial to the Iron Hands tactics.
48th Vellurian Armored Cavalry
Fluff Link: https://goo.gl/5tdjfS
WIP Link: http://goo.gl/1HKKWn

TheTemplar
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TheTemplar » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:03 am

The iron hands tactics just sound so fun, and it gives me a reason to take techmarines to mix things up and try something new. I've decided to paint one hand on each of my Templars a different colour, as that clearly shows their devotion to the machine god.
Owned
[||||||||||]
Assembled
[||||||||||]
Painted
[||||||||||]