Deathwing horde control.

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
Muttonstashe
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Deathwing horde control.

Post by Muttonstashe » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:58 pm

So, I play deathwing, more specifically, an almost all terminator list. Now, while I know that this isn't the most optimal way to run them, I find it enjoyable. The biggest problem I have is simply dealing with hordes of weaker enemies, boyz, gaunts, etc. There just aren't enough weapons to deal with it all. So, my question is what is the best way to add crowd control into my list? I was considering a whirlwind, as it can drop large blasts all over the board, which will make up for the lack of models in my army. Is this alright, or should I be looking at something else?
Dwarfs: 2000 Points, 1/2 painted
Dark Angels: 1650 Points, Primed
Cygnar: 15 Points, Everything painted except caster

slowhandgreg
Silver Vault Member

Re: Deathwing horde control.

Post by slowhandgreg » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:20 pm

Heavy flamers if your packing a librarian then Pyro is a good option

Speeders would make a cheap delivery method think you can put them on razorbacks and of course dreadnoughts

Also at 60 points a piece are the dual heavy bolter land speeders, every time I use that variant they consistently fill the dead pile strength 5 will punch into ork trukks as well

aura-enchanted
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by aura-enchanted » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:53 am

I'd honestly take the ol whirly. She's a reliable old machine n does a gud job.

Flamer speeders are okay but they need to be spammed for good coverage.

One other thing I'd consider is land raider redeemers. Since your dw you can take them as dedicated. And since the pfg effects vehicles when embarked now. You can be a jerk and troll in a 4++ reroll pen chart raider. Glancing it will be your opponents only option.

Another way to deal with orks is morale and pinning checks. The pred relic of the unforgiven is amazing vs orks. He's ld 7 or fearless. U force the checks and anytime he fails you get d3-d6 wounds on each squad who will max have 6+, and 6+++ which will mess em up good

Asmodai, company masters are now sisituationally good.

I won't lie I'd probably take asmodai as my hq if I was facing ghazzy supplement orks and was list building against just orks. He causes gear and the blades of reason give him a hard counter against the axe of ragnarork.

Librarians simply pull from telepathy and splendor hallucinations or pinning.

francisco
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by francisco » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:49 am

if he takes 2 librarian he can go biomancy 1, if he get some luck endurance 1 termi squad and then reduce T of the orks, should cut a blood path amongst them pretty nicely...
[youtube]gTWo9oLJOWk[/youtube]

Caldria
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Caldria » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:15 am

Unfortunately DA Librarians do not have access to Biomancy - although he could ally in a codex marines librarian I guess.

Nexus_Crawler
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Since you are playing fluffy lists I would take some land raider redeermers to carry your troops up the board.

Whirlwinds and vindicators are both great. Have you thought of allying in some thunderfire cannons? They are pure xenos killers and I often take them with my DA list.... Because why would the DA not have access to them?!! Baka.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

francisco

Post by francisco » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:43 pm

Nexus_Crawler wrote:Since you are playing fluffy lists I would take some land raider redeermers to carry your troops up the board.

Whirlwinds and vindicators are both great. Have you thought of allying in some thunderfire cannons? They are pure xenos killers and I often take them with my DA list.... Because why would the DA not have access to them?!! Baka.

Because this way it sounds more suicidal and therefore more heroic, if wasnt heroic there was no need for the Astartes.... play tau? yea right good luck... :P
[youtube]gTWo9oLJOWk[/youtube]

Captain-Shawn
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Captain-Shawn » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:57 pm

Heavy Flamers are indeed your friend in this! Couple of Lightning Claws here and there can help tear things up and an Interrogator Chaplin with the Mace of Redemption is a monster in Melee, so you can actually start charging and slaughtering things if you run around with him. Land Raider Crusaders and Redeemers are always solid anti-infantry, and hordes often have a tough time with AV14 anyway so your terminators can just pitch a tent inside your Land Raider, roast some marshmallows, tell campfire stories and wait for the treads to grind the hordes down enough that you can open the doors and claim glory.
"Why did the Necromancer kill everyone in the tavern? He wanted to raise the bar!"

HoffmeisterKink
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by HoffmeisterKink » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:16 pm

Captain-Shawn wrote:...tell campfire stories...
I hear the Tale of Two Heads Talking is quite a popular one.

Ricer
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ricer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:45 pm

terminators with with lightning claws rapped in a land raider crusader ... its a present no horde army wants

why? well ... multi melta for starters, assault cannon, and then TWO hurricane bolters :) After that and close enough release the close combat terminators inside for some slice and dice!
Dark Angels Always Building completed up to 3000 and more
Nids 1850pts completed
Cygnar - Commandos

phatonic
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by phatonic » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm suprised no one have mentiond cyclone missle launchers... as you can either fire two str 8 ap3 shots .. or two small blasts at str 4 (for crowd control)
BE THERE KILLIN' BE THERE TEEF, BE THERE DAKKA BE THERE TEEF, BE THERE 'UMMIES? NO TEEF I TELL YEH! BAD FER BUISNEZH!

Herminator
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Herminator » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:08 pm

A vengeance defence battery, either 2 with the 20 shots STR 5 at 24''... or for 20pts more 2 battle canons.... all for the price of a basic Leman Russ.... two AV14 3HP objective holding, non capturable buildings on your side of the table. I almost put them in all my lists now, space wolves, Guard, Orks.... just wonderfull to have.

slowhandgreg
Silver Vault Member

Post by slowhandgreg » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:02 am

Your probably gonna have to dig them out of their trukks & battlewagon's 1'st

Todda
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Todda » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:18 pm

The problem with Land Speeders is they do not have squadrons like normal Space Marines have so they will take up all 3 slots to take three. I think Land Raiders will do OK... same with Vindicators, but I think Devastators are likely your best bet.

120 points gets you a Devastator Squad with 4 Heavy Bolters and a Sergeant with a Combi-Flamer. That is 15 shots S5 AP4 at 36" range. 180 points gets you 4 Missile Launchers with Flack and a Sergeant with a Combi Flamer. This gives you 4 S4 AP6 Blast or some good anti Flier. The loser they are packed in the better they are... otherwise the Bolters are better. I would take 2 units with Heavy Bolters and one with Missile Launchers and maybe put them behind n Aegis Defense Line with a Quad Gun (for more anti-Flier) for 520 points.

You want to really soften them up and have 775 points to burn... take 4 10 man Tactical Squads, a command Squad with Boltguns and Banner of Devastation, and an Aegis Defense Line. Pack them in tight and shoot like crazy.that is 180 shots at 24" S4 AP5. A cheaper version with only 2 Tactical Squads is only 495 points and does 100 shots. This is a bit cheesy even the smaller one is 45 wounds against T3 on average or 80 wounds with the larger one (and they are 5 units so they do not have to all shoot at the same target).
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

WolfsSOL
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by WolfsSOL » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:09 pm

Todda wrote:The problem with Land Speeders is they do not have squadrons like normal Space Marines have so they will take up all 3 slots to take three.
DA have Land speeder support squadrons that allow them to take groups of 5 land speeders, if you are using all 3 slots than you can have up to 15 of them.
"No sin goes unpunished, None escape the Emperor's retribution!"

Swords of Retribution (Dark Angels 6th) 6000pts all up
Tau 6th 1300pts
Blue Sky Clan (Dwarfs) 2500pts