help me with a direction here

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
julrichh
MiniWarGaming Veteran

help me with a direction here

Post by julrichh » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:37 pm

Ive been a csm player for quite a while. Started building a guard army last year. Held off buying any armor until the codex was released. I have 40 troops..4 chimeras and a command squad built.
I'm totally in love with the idea of Pask in a punisher with a couple of other tanks....other then that I'm stuck.....I have no idea which direction to go.
Would a mostly armored list be good with 4 vet squads in chimeras be any good. Also toying with having 6 scout sentinels outflanking....or even some hellhounds rushing in.
Would love some input and some ideas on what will give some people headaches.

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: help me with a direction here

Post by coldsteel » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:33 pm

Not a bad idea, but a bit light on Troops. One good blog of Guardsmen may not hurt for objectives. otherwise, the armored fist works well.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

Captain-Shawn
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Captain-Shawn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:29 pm

6 outflanking Sentinels can be a great support, especially if they all have Autocannons. That's a lot of strong shooting coming in from unexpected angles! Stock Multi-Las can actually work pretty well here too, as you'll more likely than not be facing off rear-vehicle armor and small troop choices. 4 Veterans in Chimeras is a good number as the Chimera is pretty sturdy and the Veterans can do multiple jobs for you. However any more that 4, and you start detracting points away from would-be Leman Russes and Enginseers, which I recommend you at least have one with 3 servitors, as this makes him repair on a 2+. Primaris Pyskers are great supports as well, and a level 2 can provide excellent bonuses aside from just twin-linking your Russes.

From what you have and want to get, you can do a couple of things. The first would be do as Coldsteel says, get a Platoon with at least a combined squad of 30 for longevity and objective holding, then Heavy Weapon Teams to cover your bases and potentially some Special Weapon teams to back you up. A bunch of Lascannon Heavy Weapons would make a great complement as you have a lot of anti-infantry power in what you have already they would shore up a lack in heavy anti-tank. Special Weapon Team snipers are dirt cheap, and can hold out-of-the-way objectives but still contribute. This retains the armored-element, but gives you the support of a platoon, which is nice as it's a good handful of guys all capable of holding and disrupting objectives. That, or go full Mechanized which would require removing the Command Squad (they don't offer much to Mechanized) and filling you army to the brim with tanks. Hellhounds are still great at burning out infantry, the other variants are okay but are a tad too specialized for my tastes. Vendetta is still a great anti-tank/monster/air, but more than one is excessive. Leman Russ have a variant for every condition under the sun, and if they just don't have your cup of tea, the Manticore/Basilisk/Deathstrike will be there to annihilate everything. The Wyvern can help shore up some anti-horde power, but you really shouldn't need to worry about that as the Veterans/Chimeras/Pask should have more than enough firepower to deal with infantry. The Hydra for it's fairly high price tag is still an anti-air option, and if you want/need a lot of anti-air firepower, two Hydras are still cheaper than a Vendetta and just 40 points more than an Aegis/Quadd gun.
"Why did the Necromancer kill everyone in the tavern? He wanted to raise the bar!"

Spacefrisian
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Spacefrisian » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:30 am

There tends to be a lot of Strength 6/7 spam nowadays so an armoured company might see some use, works even more if you just want to play your army like a hammer and dont care much about taking objectives (2 vets in Chimera with Flakk missile for AA).

I myself am stil debating as to what Tank Pask should drive, a Punisher with rending or a Vanquisher with re-rolls on hits and armour pen rolls, also would decide what his team buddies would be driving.
The clans are marching against the law
Bagpipers play the tunes of war
Death or glory I will find
Rebellion on my mind

The Airman
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by The Airman » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:37 am

Quite a few lists on the 'net have Pask in a Vanquisher supported by either Executioners or Exterminators. Pick your poison.
Clearly Superior.

'Airman, a winner is you. :wink: '-commando_jim
'I <3 you Airman!'-dreadlord
'I <3 you aman!'-Ronin
'I agree with Airman 100%'-Ashran