A few I.G (er, A.M) questions...

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
ignitionfactor8
MiniWarGaming Regular

A few I.G (er, A.M) questions...

Post by ignitionfactor8 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:08 pm

So, just picked up the new codex yesterday and had a trial game with a buddy. Good first impressions, some good things, some bad. I digress.

Questions:

1) The executioner now gets hot (wtf GW). If I roll a gets hot, do I need to roll for armor penetration to wound the tank or does it just automatically lose a hull point?

2) Troops. The old codex has an "*" after regular troops, stating they can only be taken as part of a platoon. The new codex does not say that. Can I take troops (other than veterans) as a single choice now?

3) This one sucks. Since the new codex replaced Stormtroopers (my fav elite choice) with the new scions or tempest or whatevertheyarecalleds now, its also in somewhat of a platoon format. Does this mean that I cannot use JUST a squad of stormtroopers?

4) Tank commander can only roll D3 if he is going to be your warlord. Does this mean he only selects from the first 3 options on the warlord traits?

Thanks all.

ignitionfactor8
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: A few I.G (er, A.M) questions...

Post by ignitionfactor8 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:44 pm

Great, thanks for the response.

Captain-Shawn
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Captain-Shawn » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:42 am

Don't want to beat a dead (or in this case, answered) horse but you do indeed roll a D6 to see if you take a hull point of damage. You basically have a 4+ invul. against your own Gets Hot! rolls.
"Why did the Necromancer kill everyone in the tavern? He wanted to raise the bar!"

The Airman
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by The Airman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:48 pm

Prescience + Executioner = a non-suicidal tank. Throw in a Techpriest and have a good laugh with your opponent. Why they cry horrible, horrible tears. 10/10 would recommend.
Clearly Superior.

'Airman, a winner is you. :wink: '-commando_jim
'I <3 you Airman!'-dreadlord
'I <3 you aman!'-Ronin
'I agree with Airman 100%'-Ashran

Spacefrisian
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Spacefrisian » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:48 pm

The Airman wrote:Prescience + Executioner = a non-suicidal tank. Throw in a Techpriest and have a good laugh with your opponent. Why they cry horrible, horrible tears. 10/10 would recommend.
Unfortunatly you roll a d6 before you shoot with that plasma blasts, Prescience allows you re-rolls to hit and in case of blasts you re-roll those scatter dice.
The clans are marching against the law
Bagpipers play the tunes of war
Death or glory I will find
Rebellion on my mind

The Airman

Post by The Airman » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:07 pm

Spacefrisian wrote:
The Airman wrote:Prescience + Executioner = a non-suicidal tank. Throw in a Techpriest and have a good laugh with your opponent. Why they cry horrible, horrible tears. 10/10 would recommend.
Unfortunatly you roll a d6 before you shoot with that plasma blasts, Prescience allows you re-rolls to hit and in case of blasts you re-roll those scatter dice.
I dunno. According to page 37 in the BRB it says you have to roll Gets Hot! before each firing, and if it succeeds, you can do the whole scatter bit. But I could be missing something or going int he wrong order.
Clearly Superior.

'I <3 you aman!'-Ronin

Whitewing
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Whitewing » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:42 pm

Additionally, on page 37, under "Get's Hot and Re-Rolls" it states that if your weapon can re-roll to hit (from any source) you can re-roll any rolls of a 1 to hit, and may re-roll the Get's Hot results of a weapon that does not roll to hit.

So yes, Prescience let's you re-roll Get's Hot rolls of a 1 on the Executioner.
Check out my Chaos Daemons Tactica! I'm super proud of it :D

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:22 am

The Airman wrote:
Spacefrisian wrote:
I dunno. According to page 37 in the BRB it says you have to roll Gets Hot! before each firing, and if it succeeds, you can do the whole scatter bit. But I could be missing something or going int he wrong order.
You only have to roll once for the whole cannon. Firing it is a heavy 3 blast. Not heavy 1 that can be fired three times.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

The Airman

Post by The Airman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:32 am

So you take one Gets Hot roll instead of three for the main cannon?

Sa-weet.
Clearly Superior.

'I <3 you aman!'-Ronin

Whitewing
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Whitewing » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:19 am

Marit Lage wrote:You only have to roll once for the whole cannon. Firing it is a heavy 3 blast. Not heavy 1 that can be fired three times.
I'm afraid not. The rulebook is very exact on this:
"Weapons that do not roll to hit must roll a D6 for each shot immediately before firing... For each roll of a 1 the model suffers a Wound and that shot is not fired."

I'm paraphrasing and highlighting for emphasis, but the rule is clear. The Executioner now rolls 3D6 before firing the Cannon, and for each 1 rolled it loses a shot. This just highlights the importance of taking a Primaris Psyker to Prescience the Executioner (or Executioner Squadron) to reduce the odds of glancing yourself to death.

Seriously, it changes the odds from a 1/12 chance of glancing yourself to a 1/22 chance, that's far too significant to be ignored considering it is a 50 point model you are taking (and can upgrade it to Mastery 2, and get even more benefits).
Check out my Chaos Daemons Tactica! I'm super proud of it :D

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:44 am

That's seriously retarded. Oh well, good thing I play Renegade Guard. We don't get Executioners anyway.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Spacefrisian

Post by Spacefrisian » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:38 pm

Yep its Executioner cannon removing time, it would look silly if you overheat your plasmaspamming Tank on turn 1 giving away near 200 points as well as first blood in a odd way.
Unless killing yourself doesnt count as first blood, but that would be logic and GW and logic dont go together.
Rebellion on my mind

Spacefrisian

Post by Spacefrisian » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:17 pm

xsquidz wrote:
Spacefrisian wrote:Yep its Executioner cannon removing time, it would look silly if you overheat your plasmaspamming Tank on turn 1 giving away near 200 points as well as first blood in a odd way.
Unless killing yourself doesnt count as first blood, but that would be logic and GW and logic dont go together.
Are you kidding me?

It used to cost 190, now its 155, you save 35 points for the same goody tank basically. Now you can get a Lv 1 primaris for 50, so its 205 vs 190 before and you get TL. Or at the sponsons which are now 10 cheaper and you can now pay 235 for 5 TL small blasts while before you paid 230 for 5 small blasts that are not twin linked. Even if you roll the 1's, you still only take a wound 50% of the time. If you are TL'd you will have very little chance to damage your tank ever.
You dont get to re-roll those gets hot rolls with prescience to the simple fact that those rolls are not to hit rolls but something differently.

Didnt you get that from reading all the above? <-- (thats a questionmark means its a question, do not forget to look over that)
Rebellion on my mind