Codex Review: Astra Militarum

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.

Do you like the new Codex?

Yes! It is an improvement!
53%
Kind of. Still figuring it out.
31%
It looks the same to me.
2%
Not really, I still miss Lumbering Behemoth.
4%
No! This book is worse than an Ork's breath!
No votes
Haven't looked at it yet.
9%

Total votes: 45

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Re: Codex Review: Astra Militarum

Post by IGfanatic » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:20 am

If I ignore it, it doesn't exist.
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:48 am

Anybody use the wyverns yet? I've used them twice and had them used against me three times so far. I hesitate to use the words "over" and "powered" to describe anything, and five games is hardly the basis for effective and unbiased analysis, but they are wicked good. 65pts for 4 muffin tins? They can easily murder their way to 65pts every turn of shooting. I've not seen them used against 'Nids or other hordes, but judging by what they've done to my Eldar and IG, they'll enjoy it. They have to chew on MEQs a turn or two, but a squadron shouldn't have much trouble pulling the teeth out of a squad in their first volley. Doubt they'd do much to Termies. I don't know... Nothing murders the faces off all your scoring units like a wyvern squadron. It seems like the development monologue went something like this: "We need a unit that makes these orks less dominating and powerful." "Four templates, shred, ignores cover." "Not powerful enough!" "We could let them have nine in a single force org. for less than 600 points." "Ship it! We can always FAQ it if it isn't powerful enough." I get the feeling we'll be seeing many allied wyverns in the days to come.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:26 am

I've used it against crons and marines and the end result has been particularily deadly. Providing most hit and wound I am averaging 3-4 kills with one wyvern. Some of the guys are already trying to make it a house rule I can only take 2 outside apoc. XD

Also a techpriest nearby and some scions in reserve is handy for making sure nothing can get to them without my opponent committing most of his army to destroy it.

The Airman
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by The Airman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:08 am

IGfanatic wrote:Some of the guys are already trying to make it a house rule I can only take 2 outside apoc. XD
These guys must absolutely hate taking anti tank units. Push for a screamerstar, Taudar or Riptide spam bans/limitations/restrictions if they want to limit your usage of Wyverns.

Some people hate having to modify their lists and should know better.
Clearly Superior.

'Airman, a winner is you. :wink: '-commando_jim
'I <3 you Airman!'-dreadlord
'I <3 you aman!'-Ronin
'I agree with Airman 100%'-Ashran

Herminator
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Herminator » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:07 pm

I love the hardship all the recent codexes bring, kicks most ppl in the nuts with their one hit wonder lists. I do believe you need at least 2500pts of any army and field a variety of stuff to be able to follow the meta. And its only normal for GW to make new models/units powerfull or models that would not sell, its a business. Just feel sorry for the ogryns and especially the bullgryns wich just suck unless you run them with maul and 5++ shield. That slab shield gives you AND your ennemy a +1 to cover, yeah, your ennemy too. So useless slab shields stay useless. Will be running a squad of 6 ogryns with Termi Inquisitor in my all infantry lists, just for the fun and since I have the models lying around anyway. Just wanna give those Ogryns some love.

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:27 pm

Funny thing is A-man, i was the only human player for a long time without any cheese, now that I uave some the ban hammer must strike apparently.

Captain-Shawn
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Captain-Shawn » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:05 am

The Vendetta wasn't cheese? :P I find it humorous that the wyvern is 'cheese'. It's good at it's job, but as Ronin said Mechanized aren't going to really worry about them that much and heck Nurgle and other really beefy infantry units shouldn't have that much trouble with them. They do pour on a lot of wounds but you can space out your infantry with 2" between them to greatly reduce their effectiveness. If the guys you play against are that worried about just tell them to space out their guys.
"Why did the Necromancer kill everyone in the tavern? He wanted to raise the bar!"

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:24 pm

Well the vendetta didn't have the capacity to easily slaughter entire scoring units in one turn of shooting... unless it's Big Guns or Scouring. Yeah, I started playing a mechanized IG list and the wyvern doesn't give me too much trouble until I unload my troops onto an objective. If I had a nickel for every time they've killed a unit off an objective with one turn of shooting I think I'd have half a dollar now. I don't know though, because if a crimson hunter packs a lot of wyvern hate, I imagine vendettas do too. I was talking to a friend today about it, and he said that he isn't sure why the wyvern has to have all the special rules since it could just gain them from orders anyways.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Captain-Shawn
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Captain-Shawn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:54 am

You can't issue orders to Vehicles, so it needs something to make it useful! I was speaking in terms of cost effectiveness though. The Vendetta, at 130, could destroy an vehicle a turn, just shy of a Land Raider, and you could Squadron them on top of being a flier so they're naturally difficult to destroy. Even now they're still really potent, spamming them isn't effective anymore though because of the point bump and transport reduction, but one is still a solid anti-air and anti-tank choice. The Wyvern is pretty cost effective, but it's far from game breaking cheese.
"Why did the Necromancer kill everyone in the tavern? He wanted to raise the bar!"

Spacefrisian
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Spacefrisian » Thu May 01, 2014 3:27 am

So far i think this dex has a knack for taking cover saves away, my Nid opponent didnt like me shelling his gaunst away with my Wyvern or with my Master of Ordnance doing the same after i had issued out the "Fire at my Target" order.

I also like that Hotshot lasguns now benefit from 1st rank fire 2nd rank fire, a unit of 10 Tempestus with command unit deepstriking into the enemy lines is worth it (command unit had 4 meltas).
The clans are marching against the law
Bagpipers play the tunes of war
Death or glory I will find
Rebellion on my mind