Codex Review: Astra Militarum

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.

Do you like the new Codex?

Yes! It is an improvement!
53%
Kind of. Still figuring it out.
31%
It looks the same to me.
2%
Not really, I still miss Lumbering Behemoth.
4%
No! This book is worse than an Ork's breath!
No votes
Haven't looked at it yet.
9%

Total votes: 45

BunkhouseBuster
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Codex Review: Astra Militarum

Post by BunkhouseBuster » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:03 pm

The Imperial Guard is dead! Long live the Astra Militarum!

Hello, everyone! Buster here, and I've got the Codex in hand, and I'm going to type up a short review for anyone who is interested. I'll break it up into sections, since I have a life now and limited time for as much Warhammer as I would like.

To start off, let say that the Imperial Guard is what got me into Warhammer 40K. Gabriel Angelos in the Dawn of War game got me interested, but the mechanized force and raw human courage of the plucky little Guardsmen sealed the deal. In a galaxy full of monsters, daemons, and unspeakable horrors, the idea of playing an army of normal humans with basic equipment appealed to me.

As such, it was with a sad face as I read some of the rumors that were being posted across the Internet, in regards to rule changes and points adjustments. But I got my copy of the Codex, and my fears were silenced. I can tell you that it is not doom for the Codex. There are many changes, and I can no longer play Imperial Guard the way I used to (details later), but I am pleased with the way it turned out.

As I glance over the book, I see a few things that stick out to me as awesome.

- The Tank Commander HQ choice -
This is something that I always wanted. The only thing I'm missing now is the chance to take my Leman Russes as Troops in regular games. Also, Knight Commander Pask got promoted to the HQ section, which is awesome.

- Ministorum Priests, Primaris Psykers, and Techpriests -
These guys got changed quite a bit, and are probably going to start seeing the table more. They have several cool abilities that add to the synergy of the army. Oh, and the Primaris Psyker can take Divination Powers, which is awesome.

- Bullgryns -
To be honest, I wasn't sure what I thought about them, but they have what I wanted the regular Ogryns to have: better saves and power weapon options.

- Leman Russ Tanks -
The most drastic change in the army is the points adjustments of the Leman Russ tanks. The Demolisher went up 5 points, the main Battle Tank is the same, but the others all went down in points a ridiculous amount. To put it best, only 2 of the 7 varieties of Leman Russes are over 150 points; you can take the (also now cheaper) sponsons for the cost of the previous editions tanks!

I will come back tomorrow with a more in-depth look at what changes occured in the Codex, what happened to our characters, and how some rules may have been changed for better or worse.

My Wargaming Collections
Space Wolves and Space Marines
Lizardmen
Astra Militarum
Khador

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Codex Review: Astra Militarum

Post by Dez » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:02 pm

Orders! The Orders are great, and finally really make Vox Casters not only cool looking but worth their points.

I heartily agree about Chimeras, Mobile Command Vehicle is fantastic. Time for me to stop dragging my feet and convert the rest of mine.

Armored Sentinels, I've got 3! I played them anyway, but now I want to more. Time to get them in the paint soon.

There is a lot of really nice stuff I read on my glance through, but I've been sick and it's been late when I get a chance to read it. I'm trying NOT to get too amped on this release for my Renegade Guard, because Da Boyz are right around da korner ;)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Whitewing
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Whitewing » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:04 am

I've been through the codex cover to cover a few times, and I think it's an amazing update on what we could do before. You can complain as much as you like about the Vendetta, or about Bullgryns being expensive, none of it matters compared to the benefits we've received.

1. Divination. Let that sink in for a second. We get Divination now.
2. Ministorum Priests. These guys are finding a place in almost every one of my lists now. Guardsmen blob with re-rolls to hit AND wound in close combat? Yes please!
3. Leman Russes. Most of these guys got a LOT cheaper to field, and we can expect to field a lot MORE of them due to Tank Commanders (not to mention they get some sweet upgrades from them).
4. Deathstrike Missile. Oh my green GOD the Deathstrike is a monster now! Take one of these guys to the table and you almost guarantee your other tanks won't be getting shot at on Turn One, your opponent will be too busy trying to stop this monster from clearing half his board on Turn Two.
5. Orders. Frankly I thought they were strong in their previous incarnation, but now they are even better!

And those are just a few of the ones I can list off the top of my head, and I haven't even mentioned how a lot of units got cheaper!

Very happy with the update, 10/10.
Check out my Chaos Daemons Tactica! I'm super proud of it :D

The Airman
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by The Airman » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:10 am

The changes to Commissars are nice-ish. Put one into a Conscript squad and watch as they never break. Ever. Until they chunk your Commissar.
Clearly Superior.

'Airman, a winner is you. :wink: '-commando_jim
'I <3 you Airman!'-dreadlord
'I <3 you aman!'-Ronin
'I agree with Airman 100%'-Ashran

Whitewing
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Whitewing » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:16 am

The Airman wrote:The changes to Commissars are nice-ish. Put one into a Conscript squad and watch as they never break. Ever. Until they chunk your Commissar.
The Ministorum Priest will do the same for the same point cost. Long live the Zealot special rule!
Check out my Chaos Daemons Tactica! I'm super proud of it :D

40kpaintcritic
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by 40kpaintcritic » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:53 am

ha ha ha ,

and we were all worried over nothing...!

only down side,,,,, vendettas nerfed big time( but we all knew they were too cheap. also Valkyries more pricey, but we may see more simply due to vendettas cost too much now.

medusa, colossous and griffon gone. not that we used them much any way.

marbo, al raheim and bastonne gone...um, who were the second two.. sorry marbo it was wonderful while it lasted.

hydra ignore jink save, now they are not so good but a must have now that vendettas are so pricey.
lumbering beheamoth gone, oh well no great loss there as we don't move much anyway.

chimeras point increase and only two (not five) shoot from rear hatch
manticore and devil dog slight points increase

on the LOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGG plus side...

Veteran squads way cheaper
most LR tanks cheaper
better, cheaper, and more of tank upgrades Yay for half price and movable yet still working camo cloakes! not to mention deep strike homing beacons!
not points rise on any infantry unit
armoured sentinals cheaper
new wyvern an awesome bargin (these will replace my HW autocannon squads and I save points!
tank commanders, an HQ of 3 leman russ tanks, try that for slay the warlord!
primars psykers now 20 points cheaper, and you can take three of them
and you can take presceince!!!!!!!!!! hello rerolls to kit on my tank squads, and all my squads, and all squads in the world!!! christmass for everyone! (oh, and other such powers that we may want, cos looks like we got them all)
enginseers take hull points off, or power of the machine spirit! they rock
priests giving zealot to those squadsyou want up close
bullgryns (with options) pretty tough and good choice
no nerfing of any other tank (whew)
awesome order upgrades, changed first rank, bring it down, get back in the fight and on my target perfectly to how they should be. plus some extras
tank commands, love fire and smoke!
ratlings now can be ordered! and have shoot and run which is a nice buff for no point rise
scions are cheaper than old veterans, plus great new volley las gun thingy
can take a platoon of scions
taurox offering cheaper transport option
taurox prime having a boat load of shooting, and fast to boot!
HW teams can get flakk missiles, pricey but another option if you don't want to take flyers or hydras.
commisars not auto shooting the highest leader, you might choose a pleb if lucky
return of the bolter wielding seargents!
awesome warlord chart table, not a single one I would not use or be unhappy to get.
veteran doctrines cheaper all around
command squads access to carapace amour cheaper.
awesome artifacts.. the kurov aquilla a must for me...
krack grenades available to every squad of infantry! even HW and SW troops (but not conscripts)
deathstrike missile 10" template S10 AP1, no more random size blast

whew! that is it. now trying to change my all vendetta list to try out a balanced or all leman russ list!
2000pts Blood Angels
2000pts Guard
fantastic city fight modular Terrain Board
Never enough painting hours in a day!

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:16 am

I'm a bit upset that Al' Raheim is gone, same with marbo. If they release data-slates for them I'll buy them the second they hit the itunes store as I have made custom models for them.
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

BunkhouseBuster
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by BunkhouseBuster » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:14 pm

The only real problems that I have with the Codex are pretty minor. Basically, it comes down to these:

- Primaris Psyker changes -
Access to Divination and Biomancy powers wihout Allies is a huge boost to the army, do doubt about that. But I already miss the Primaris Psyker's old Codex powers. That Assault 2d6 shooting attack would tear things apart, and really gave him some clout.

I always ran a Primaris Psyker as my Warlord in every game, regardless of opponent and game size. Now I can take 3 of them and get Divination in the game for cheap. I just need to change the way I build my army. No longer do I have the same Warlord. Now it is time for Knight Commander Pask to lead the army.

- Commissar Yarrick -
The classic character, Yarrick got a nice boost in the way of an Invulnerable save, a points reduction, and being to now issue orders like a Commander. He got some massive improvements that really make him a strong choice for blob armies.

However, I dislike that he has the Summary Execution rule. One of the things I always like about Yarrick (and why I made him my HQ back in my early days of 40K) was the way he treated his troops, fluff-wise. He never had to execute a Guardsmen, because his oratory skills and sheer charisma would lead the Guardsmen to victory without the threat of summary execution.

I know it's a minor gripe, but it's something that I noticed before anything else in the book. Oh will. I guess I'm putting some Ministorum Priests in the unit now.

- Loss of Characters -
While I never really used them, the loss of Marbo, Al'Raheem, Chenkov, Sgt. Bastonne, and Mogul Kamir, bothers me a bit. Yes, the Astra Militarum has as many characters as other codices, but the loss of anything from a book always tears at my heart a bit.

I guess I don't need to finish my Cadian Marbo conversion kit-bash, huh?
My Wargaming Collections
Space Wolves and Space Marines
Lizardmen
Astra Militarum
Khador

ignitionfactor8
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by ignitionfactor8 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:41 pm

40kpaintcritic wrote: no nerfing of any other tank (whew)
Executioner plasma tank.... gets hot.... def a nerf!

SkragaDaBoss
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by SkragaDaBoss » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:57 pm

I'm very tempted to get some AM ASAP
All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan uvvas

Orks (Goffs)- 2000 points
Dark Angels (5th Company)- 1750
Chaos Space Marines (Death Guard)- 1000
Dark Eldar (Kabal of the Eternal Ice)- Coming soon...

ignitionfactor8
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by ignitionfactor8 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:10 pm

Ronin wrote:That tank had it coming. 155 points for 3 plasma cannon shots on an AV14/13/11 vehicle without gets hot would be unreasonable.
Understandable, but coming or not, its still a nerf, and seeing as how the weapon fires three times, the tank has a chance to kill itself in one volley. Maybe im a bit partial to this particular one as my main list uses three of them.. Ill most likely be swapping turrets out to punishers.