New player, blood angels competative vs new chapters?

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
gdmunn
Now we're getting somewhere...

New player, blood angels competative vs new chapters?

Post by gdmunn » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:09 am

Hi there all. Recently decided to get back into the hobby after a LONG LONG break. Really want to start a blood angels army as I love the fluff plus cool looking models. Only problem is I hear in 6th compared to the new space marine codex they struggle. Higher points cost plus no access to some of the vanilla units like the thunder fire cannon which I like. Anyway the question I'm asking is can I play blood angels and still be competitive or are they shadowed by the superior new space marine codex so much that I should choose a different chapter. Your comments are appreciated :)

Tyranid96
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: New player, blood angels competative vs new chapters?

Post by Tyranid96 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:12 am

If you get the Blood Angels Codex and the Vanilla codex play whatever you feel like at the time. Right now BA is hard to work with as 6th edition is based on shooting and Blood Angels are assault based. If you like the Blood Angels look paint them as such but play them as vanilla marines.
Blood Angels: Angels Sanguine 10,000pts +
Tyranids: Hive Fleet Andromedous- 3.5k+
Orks: 2500 pts
Grey Knights: 1750+
IG: 1500+

Cygnar:224
Legion: 70
Retribution: 75

gdmunn
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by gdmunn » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:12 pm

Well I was thinking about a blob of TH/SS terminators with a priest as my main blob force and then lots of other units all with priests for the 5+ FNP. I also love the look of Dante with a gold blob of sanguinary guard and drop pods dropping down the enemy deployment zone with dreadnoughts and sternguard. Either way if they don't play out to well I suppose like you said as long as I take out the special blood angel only characters it doesn't matter that the rest of the troops are painted as blood angels and I can just play them vanilla?

aura-enchanted
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by aura-enchanted » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:56 am

Ronin wrote:Well you could do pure BA, but you have to play them differently than how everyone did back in 5th edition. I'm thinking going all mech wouldn't be a bad idea since their vehicles are fast. Running an assault terminator death star with stormshields and a sanguinary priest to give them feel no pain does sound pretty scary.

Anyways, I think they're viable. People just need to think outside the box a bit and look beyond assault marine spam.
one idea that could be fun would be ba + da.

dark angel bikes as your primary force with sammy at the lead. the BA side consists of assault marines with priests and baal pattern predators. this would make up for the squishyness of bikes in melee and give you that awesome flamer pieplate spam the baal offers.

Tyranid96
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Tyranid96 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:43 am

Yes you can play them as normal marines and if anybody complains about it then pucnh them in the throat pack up and leave or play someone else.
Blood Angels: Angels Sanguine 10,000pts +
Tyranids: Hive Fleet Andromedous- 3.5k+
Orks: 2500 pts
Grey Knights: 1750+
IG: 1500+

Cygnar:224
Legion: 70
Retribution: 75

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:28 am

Two words, fast Vindicators. *shivers*
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Captain-Shawn
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Captain-Shawn » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:07 pm

Blood Angel Vindicators, now equipped with Wings changing their type to Skimmers.

Praise the Sun Emperor.
"Why did the Necromancer kill everyone in the tavern? He wanted to raise the bar!"

aura-enchanted
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by aura-enchanted » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:32 pm

Ronin wrote:If only they had jink too. xD
mobile car launchers with jink saves.. Sounds almost like seal clubbing grade op