It is Here!

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
oklempay
MiniWarGaming Regular

It is Here!

Post by oklempay » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Feast your eyes on the new guard... *blam*... feast your eyes on the new astra militarum!

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od2380249a

warmaster40k
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: It is Here!

Post by warmaster40k » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:51 pm

They changed the name. :evil: But I guess I can get excited about it. 8)

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:30 am

Call it astra militarum and I'll "blam" you.

Kinda disappointed we didn't get a whole bunch of amazing kits in one nice drop but new scions and tank are cool. Was really hoping for a veteran kit with a female torso but that's just me being a fanboi.
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

Captain-Shawn
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Captain-Shawn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:28 pm

Well hey they're doing that sprinkle release throughout the month, though we haven't seen any pictures of them that doesn't mean they're completely out of the picture!

And hey if all else fails just wait until the Adeptus Sororitias get plastics, and kit bash.~

Of course that might mean waiting a couple of months.

Years.

Centuries.
"Why did the Necromancer kill everyone in the tavern? He wanted to raise the bar!"

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:34 pm

The day GW releases plastic female humans is the day that GW management was completely reworked.
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:12 am

Well, they do sell warrior woman and rocket girl in the last chancers kit.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Hans-the-Dragon
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Hans-the-Dragon » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:41 pm

The new name... I will personally refer to them as the Imperial Guard, in my mind the Astra Militarum is a new trademark they got for them and as for fluff will be regarded the same as Adeptus Astartes is when talking about Space Marines, no one uses the name anyways.

The new artillery piece looks interesting, and nice to see the Hydra on the GW web store. Waiting for my copy of the codex to judge that further.

And yes, female models from GW for the IG would be very nice, and certainly help make it feel more diverse, or if you want, make a group of 10 female guardsmen as a femme fatale kinda squad.

The Airman
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by The Airman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:33 pm

This codex appears to be a mixed bag; there are rumors of Marbo, Chenkov, Bastonne, Alraheem, the Medusas, Griffins and Colossi are taken out. However, there have been some points changes: Chimeras are too expensive at 60-65 pts, armored sents are now 40 pts each, conscripts are 60 pts for 20 men, and vets are 60 + additional doctrines. The vets can only take two special weapons, so make of that what you will.

If Chenkov is still in, then conscript tar pitting might be a viable trolling build now. Mech vets are more expensive and can shoot less so that'll hurt. Undecided on the Taurox but I doubt it'll be fielded much.
Clearly Superior.

'Airman, a winner is you. :wink: '-commando_jim
'I <3 you Airman!'-dreadlord
'I <3 you aman!'-Ronin
'I agree with Airman 100%'-Ashran

Captain-Shawn
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Captain-Shawn » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:25 pm

IGfanatic wrote:The day GW releases plastic female humans is the day that GW management was completely reworked.
With this new release plan of theirs, maybe it has :P

But more seriously, it's unlikely, but it's not completely out of the ball park because as Ronin pointed out they have done the Last Chancer female models, and the game Space Marine did feature a predominate female IG character. Sure it is a video game, but it still had to receive the GW seal of approval, which they could've denied to say "Make the Lieutenant a MAAAAAN." Also feel they approved the game with the changes to the tabletop in mind, because there is never any mention or inclusion of Scions, which is somewhat curious due to the nature of some parts of the game (I would think an Inquisitor would have Stormtroopers/Scions following him around). If they were to introduce a female IG model, I feel a new Vet Kit would usher it in. That, or a new command squad box, which we could see coming around the corner, as the Command Squad advisors are sticking around, so we could see a larger Command kit with all the bits to make everything and/or everyone. Plus, I like to dream. More realistically though, a Command Kit is very likely, as they can remove the metal Advisors.

On the topic of chimeras, 60 or even 65 points isn't too shabby, only 5/10 more than what they were before. They're honestly still a bit of a bargin when you consider their pretty solid anti-infantry firepower, large infantry holding space, and 12 front facing. For spam, the Taurox is defiantly going to be more appealing (Mechanized Platoon comes to mind) as it'll be cheaper and can actually tackle other APCs well but the Chimera shall remain the loyal carrier of mechanized Veterans, at least for me. Though the Chimera may also remain as the only vehicle Orders may be issued from, which would be a big deal when deciding whether or not to put your Commanders in APCs.
And Vets had it coming, the benefits of a Special Weapon Squad were null and void when you could take Vets to do their job better. Though doesn't this make Vets cheaper as it's -one special weapon and -10 points? Their doctrines also probably received a 10 point reduction I bet, but still just the two reductions makes it a base of 15 spare points, which actually covers either Chimera cost bump. Not saying the lose of the Special Weapon is great for them, and now I have an odd man out in each of my squads, but if all holds together they should stand as a solid Mechanized Infantry choice, but SWSs will also be able to competitively fill their role.

But hey, who ever said throwing 80 points at the enemy over and over wasn't good fun :P At 60 points, it just got slightly competitive, and borderline ridiculous. 150 points for 50 Concripts, or 150 for 30 Infantry. Statistically it's just a handful more hits with the Conscripts, but it's also a much larger pool of potential!
"Why did the Necromancer kill everyone in the tavern? He wanted to raise the bar!"

The Airman
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by The Airman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:52 pm

The Taurox will pop as soon as you look at it. From the FPs, you have to face your side armor at the enemy in order to fire. For my vets, I will definitely use the chimera for staying power. Plus, mech spam really invalidates our awesome orders. But to each their own. It's unfortunate the chimera got a price bump to make room for the Short Bus.

But on the brighter side: Scions make some mean looking vets.
Clearly Superior.

'Airman, a winner is you. :wink: '-commando_jim
'I <3 you Airman!'-dreadlord
'I <3 you aman!'-Ronin
'I agree with Airman 100%'-Ashran

Captain-Shawn
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Captain-Shawn » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:07 am

Oh it'll definantly die, but 10 infantry squads in 10 Tauroxs would still be difficult to destroy quickly. It's a lot like the Mechanized Space Marine mentality, just swarm them with transports, they can't kill them all turn one and some teams will close the gap! The main focal point of a Taruox/Platoon swarm would be the tanks supporting it, the Taruox's main point just being getting Infantry closer to the enemy. And since they're just Infantry, firing from the FPs isn't incredibly important for them. Heck firing at all isn't that important, they'll probably go Flat Out turn one just to get as many forward as possible before the inevitable popping. Any surviving Taruoxs can then try to support the rest of the force. It's like throwing blank paper in your enemies face hoping they can't see passed it enough to tear away at the more important files.

I actually like the Chimera to cart around my Platoon Commanders and Company Commanders when running Platoons. Keeps them safe and allows them to support the rest of the troops. Only reason I brought it up/consider it. Though the price bump does make this a little less appealing, it's still something to consider for larger Platoons that will want to get as many Orders for as long as possible, if only for the Company Commander.

And all the extra heads, can make some mean looking Commanders! Not to mention the extra bits if you ensemble a Scion Squad over the Command.