Alright you Space Marine experts, how should I build these?

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
miniwargaming
Site Admin

Alright you Space Marine experts, how should I build these?

Post by miniwargaming » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:56 am

Hey Space Marine experts!

I have a few thousand points of space marines that I am about to get assembled and painted, but I need your advice on what wargear and weapons to give them.

I am not looking for the most overpowered cheese list. I am looking for something that would be competitive, but still good in narrative games (i.e. spamming is ok, but shouldn't be overdone).

Here are the miniatures I just go in. How would you assemble them (assuming no magnetization)?

15 Bikes
3 Attack Bikes
6 Centurions (3 Devastator and 3 Assault, I know Assault ones aren't as good, but I want them anyway for completeness)
10 Assault Terminators
5 Terminators
10 Devastators
10 Sternguard
2 Predators
2 Command Squads (5 models each)
2 Commanders
2 Razorbacks
2 Drop pods
10 Assault Marines
10 Scouts
40 Tactical Marines
2 Dreadnoughts

Thoughts?

Matthew

Sniperfex
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: Alright you Space Marine experts, how should I build the

Post by Sniperfex » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:13 am

miniwargaming wrote: 15 Bikes 3 units of 5? Sergeant with Combi Grav, and 2 Gravity Guns in each

3 Attack Bikes hmmm. Assuming you're attaching these to the bikes, I'd say Multi Meltas

6 Centurions (3 Devastator and 3 Assault, I know Assault ones aren't as good, but I want them anyway for completeness) Dev Centurions with Gravity Cannons obviously, Assault one's with melta's or flamers

10 Assault Terminators if you want them to a hammer and anvil, Thunder Hammer + Storm Shield, Lightning Claws are good and they get extra attacks but can't really do much against higher Initiative armies and will almost always get pasted by a combat dedicated unit

5 Terminators Sergeant with Bolter and Power Sword, 1 Assault Cannon (or missile launcher) and 3 storm bolters, 1 with a chainfist at least

10 Devastators hmmm. A tricky, build the rest of the army first and fill in a role for them, with 4 heavy weapons in each 5 man squad

10 Sternguard load them with bolters, but if they're going in the drop pods then 4 combi melta's and a Heavy Flamer in each 5 man team

2 Predators as with Devastators, wait for the rest and fill out a role for them

2 Command Squads (5 models each) apothecary and a champion in each, deffinately a banner for the looks. the banner and the other 2 veterans can take either combat weapons or ranged weapons of you choice or preference

2 Commanders liekwise with your command squads it's a preference, but if you're going to use characters, converting them is a nice idea

2 Razorbacks hmmm, take a weapon that fills the opposite roll of the unit it's given too, f.e. Devs with Lascannons? Heavy Bolter, Tactical squad with Heavy Bolter and Flamer? Lascannon, or switch and have dedicated troop or tank counters

2 Drop pods bog standard obviously, but the missile launcher on turn one can put a nasty dent in a horde if it hits right

10 Assault Marines full squad of 10, Sergeant with a Plasma Pistol and Power weapon (preferably a lance or maul, you don't want to throw assault marines in to a power armoured unit). If you're hunting hordes 2 flamers, if you're hunting down smaller elite units then Plasma Pistols

10 Scouts assuming these are just regular ones. Boltguns and a Heavy Bolter for each squad of 5, give them Imperial Fist Tactics and watch them do well

40 Tactical Marines all squads of 10, Sergeants with your preference (no melee weapons though, 2 squads with Melta Guns and Multi Meltas, 2 squads with Flamers and Missile Launchers (combat squad these two units)

2 Dreadnoughts again, your preference, but if these are going in the drop pods then I'd recommend Multi Melta and Heavy Flamer to keep them cheap, however, you don't have to magnetise these ones or glue the weapons on, just put the weapons together and put on whichever ones you want during army building
Although the way you build your army depends on what chapter tactics you use, although the above will cover roughly all of them I think
"Do you really want to waste your time
Wake up and live your life
I want to be your chemical ride"

Sniperfex, ruining people's hopes and dreams since 1993

Trumpkin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Trumpkin » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:14 am

Dual twin-linked assault cannons always looks great, and is considered strong.

I've always been a fan of dual-wielding pistols. Expensive, but the models do look hella cool.

Also, make sure to have at least 1 heavy-flamer sternguard, as they're the only infantry barring termies and legion of the damned that can take 'em.

edit: Just noticed the poster above me is from Wales. Cardiff for the win! Bendigedig!
Budgethammer, my blog, about trying to save money while Wargaming. Also batreps. Also fluff.

4000p of Iron Devourers (Custom Chapter Space Marines)

Sniperfex
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Sniperfex » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:16 am

ah! My brother in law and sister lives in Barry. They go to Firestorm Games regularly.

me myself I'm from Pembrokeshire ;)

dattanchu
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by dattanchu » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:17 am

Depending on what you want to do really. The best way to run Space Marine is a bike list, I will start with the core of

Chapter Master on bike, shield eternal, thunder hammer

5-man Bike squad with 2 grav-guns, sarg with meltabomb

You can then take this list in many ways:
1) Take 2 squads of tactical marines in Rhino with meltagun, combi-melta, multimelta for better objective control and tanking
2) Take Khan with command squad for a killy chapter master delivery system
3) Take Space Wolves, Inquisition, Tau allies. They are all battle brothers that have great synergy.
4) TFCs

You can of course, add second tier choices like grav centurions, sternguards, devastators, assault terminators or third tier choices like terminators, assault marines, dreadnoughts as you see fit.

Personally I have had some success with

Tau commander - ignore cover, twin-link, get hot chip, onager gauntlet, tank hunter/monster hunter, 2 drones
Khan on bike
Chapter Master, bike, shield eternal, thunder hammer
Command squad on bike, 2 shields, 4 grav guns, apo

5-man Bike squad with 2 grav-guns, sarg with meltabomb, ABMM
5-man Bike squad with 2 melta-gun, sarg with meltabomb, ABMM

5 fire warriors

2 TFC

When the batman commander join Khan, chapter master and the command squad, I have so many T5 wounds with FNP and invulnerable save while being able to move 12", shoot that twin-linked, ignore all cover and re-roll wound against MC, super killy in close combat that I just roll over enemy deathstar. Hit & Run is the best rule in the game. Besides, chapter master can always throw a twin-linked orbital strike bombardment that ignore night fight rule (and ignore cover) thanks to Tau commander on turn one to kill whichever model you want.

Sniperfex

Post by Sniperfex » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:19 am

AH YES!

Forgot to mention, if you don't glue the Razorback Turret on to the Rhino Chasis, you can use them as Rhino's that 10 transport capacity works well for Sternguard and Assault Marines, as well as a Tactical Squad delivery system

Tyranid96
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Tyranid96 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:19 am

miniwargaming wrote:Hey Space Marine experts!

I have a few thousand points of space marines that I am about to get assembled and painted, but I need your advice on what wargear and weapons to give them.

I am not looking for the most overpowered cheese list. I am looking for something that would be competitive, but still good in narrative games (i.e. spamming is ok, but shouldn't be overdone).

Here are the miniatures I just go in. How would you assemble them (assuming no magnetization)?

15 Bikes
I like plasma guns for havoc, but Grav guns are also very good as relentless with salvo
3 Attack Bikes
I like using multi meltas for tank hunting capabilities.
6 Centurions (3 Devastator and 3 Assault, I know Assault ones aren't as good, but I want them anyway for completeness)
For Devastator go for grav guns and give the sarge a lascannon for splitfire
10 Assault Terminators
Thunder Hammer Storm shield for 5 and other 5 Lightning claws
5 Terminators
Cyclone Missile launcher, 2x chain fist
10 Devastators
missile launchers with flakk
10 Sternguard
either plas with combi plas or melta with combi melta, combat squad upon arrival
2 Predators
Autocannon top, lascannon sponsons
Apothecary, plasma gun, power weapon of sorts
2 Commanders
Relic blade, Storm Shield
2 Razorbacks
Heavy Bolters to stay cheap
2 Drop pods
Keep the stormbolters nice and cheap
10 Assault Marines
Blood angels way. 1 power weapon. Either 2 meltas or 2 flamers
10 Scouts
I am a fan of sniper scouts
40 Tactical Marines
Maybe 2 plasma guns and 2 grav guns, naked seargent, missile launchers to keep 'em cheap.
2 Dreadnoughts
If normal dreadnought go lascannon and missile launcher

Thoughts?

Matthew

Just my $.02. I am in no way a super gamer of any sorts or a master of 40K
Blood Angels: Angels Sanguine 10,000pts +
Tyranids: Hive Fleet Andromedous- 3.5k+
Orks: 2500 pts
Grey Knights: 1750+
IG: 1500+

Cygnar:224
Legion: 70
Retribution: 75

centuryslayer
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by centuryslayer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:24 am

Let's see

From my experience Attack bikes should perhaps run all three attack bikes with either heavy bolters or multimelta. I've tried running a mix but it doesn't work as well as going all out.

For Dev' Centurions I love the Omniscope giving the whole unit night vision and split fire. And with Split fire it's actually pretty sweet to give one of the Centurions TL-lascannons and the others grav-cannons. Also, since they're already so darn expensive you might as well give them missile launchers. Wich is really good if you have grav-cannons as they can then dish out small blasts if they need to shoot some light infantry.

sternguards + drop pod = awesome. if they're Salamanders you might want some combi-flamers/heavy flamer.

Imo the best config for scouts is snipers + camo cloaks. I give them a missile launcher as well.

tactical marines I feel are best equipped with mostly anti infantry special/heavy weapons, plasma gun+ plasma cannon is nice or heavy bolter + flamer/melta gun. If they're gonna be moving heavy weapons aren't that much of a use, the HB can still fire 3 shots at least and is kinda nice in overwatch, which is its redeeming factors, otherwise it's kind of bland. combi-flamer for the sergeant if the squad has a flamer is kind of nice if you expect them to get charged.

for assault marines I'd take 2 flamers over the plasma pistols as they aren't really good in close combat against heavier targets anyway.

command squads are nice because you can really tailor them to whatever you want them to excell at, plus the apothecary makes them pretty sturdy. I'd still take Honour guard over them for melee prowess.

Trumpkin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Trumpkin » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:24 am

Firestorm games is amazing. Such a good little independent club!

Oh yeah, and when I bought my scouts I made them camo cloaks out of paper and covered them in terrain. I liked how it looked! Camo cloaks are a must.

Budgethammer, my blog, about trying to save money while Wargaming. Also batreps. Also fluff.

4000p of Iron Devourers (Custom Chapter Space Marines)

BewareOfTom
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by BewareOfTom » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:35 am

miniwargaming wrote: 15 Bikes
3 5 man squads 2 with 2 plasma and combi plasma, one with same but melta
3 Attack Bikes
all multimelta, either with bikes above or all together
grav for devs, not sure on assault
10 Assault Terminators
I'd go for 6-7 hammers, 4-3 LC pairs
5 Terminators
probably just 1x cyclone missle launcher, 1x chainfist
10 Devastators
I now you probably cant but all missle launchers, if not just choose all of the same weapon
10 Sternguard
throw them in droppods, 2/2 combimelta/combiplasma
2 Predators
autocannon top, lascannon sides
I like it with 4x plasmaguns, an apothecary and 1-2 storm shields
2 Commanders
I'd give one a storm shield and a fancy weapon to use as the burning blade, or get him a lightning claw, and the other guy I'd probably convert to a librarian
2 Razorbacks
just use these guys as rhino's for the tact marines, which means you'll need 2 more!
2 Drop pods
2 for the sternguard and you always need an uneven number for droppod assault rules, so get a 3rd for one of the dreadnoughts
10 Assault Marines
good ol' triple flamer (one combiflamer on srg) or give srg combimelta
10 Scouts
snipers, camo cloaks, missile launcher
40 Tactical Marines
I'd do 3 squads combi plasma, plasmagun, multimelta, and the last one combimelta, meltagun, multimelta
2 Dreadnoughts
if you get another droppod, I'd make one an ironclad and one a basic one with MM and heavyflamer (on his PF), if you dont get another one (or use the pod with the tactical squad with meltaguns) make them both rifleman (2x twinlinked autocannons)
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

ultimentra
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by ultimentra » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:48 am

I agree with everything sniperfex said with exception to the sternguard. People don't realize that the sternguard special ammo is way underrated. If you want them in a pod, take 3 combi meltas and put them in one combat squad, and then take 2 heavy flamers in the other combat squad. That way you can kill a troop transport with an expensive unit inside, then kill whatever is inside of it.

You can take them bog standard as well if you want to take them in a rhino, or sit them behind an Aegis line and let the enemy come to you.

slowhandgreg
Silver Vault Member

Post by slowhandgreg » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:54 am

That’s a lot of stuff all in 1 go

BIKES
Chapter Master on Bike Shield Eternal (TH?)
Librarian on Bike (stuff like invisibility (Shrouded + Stealth) on a bike squad for the win)
Some Grav guns + power weapon on Sgt. / Melta Bombs

3 Attack Bikes Multi-Melta for most games they magnetize well and HB’s are really good in small point games (500 – 1000)
Standard Chapter organization has them running in a Squad

Centurions 3 Devastator
As you have 2 kits then you should be able to magnetize a lot of stuff but 2 as Long Range Missile/Las 1 as short Grav/Bolter (think it needs to be the Sgt for the split fire upgrade)

Quote “I know Assault ones aren't as good, but I want them anyway for completeness” - They Need Transport, Land Raider or Storm Raven

10 Assault Terminators (Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield + Typhoon Rocket)

5 Terminators / Typhoon or assault Cannon

10 Devastators (4 Las & 4 Plasma, Attack Bikes do Multi-Melta or Heavy Bolter Far better than a Devastator squad are more flexible and durable)

10 Sternguard
Their standard Ammo is exceptional added to this 2 Heavy Flamers (which are assault weapons) would be my choice but nick the arms out of the Vanguard set and pimp up some Combi-weapons to magnetize on/off where needed

2 Predators (1 all Las, 1 with H/B AutoCannon you can swap the turrets round if your struggling for points)

2 Command Squads (5 models each) (you could pimp one onto your bikes with S8 shooting all over you get to use the Apothecary for a change)

2 Commanders - Make one into Sacarius

2 Razorbacks (Heavy Bolter)

2 Drop pods Standard

10 Assault Marines (Power weapon plasma pistol Plasma Gun and or Power Weapon / Combi-Flamer / Flamer)

10 Scouts (Sniper Snipers or Snipers)

40 Tactical Marines ( Missile Launchers so they can be used in the squads or elsewhere, Build all the Assault weapons so you can sub/change them in Plasma/Grav/Flamer/Melta)
For the Sgt I normally give them a Chainsword in 1 hand then magnetize the other for various options (The combi’s from the sternguard for example) or straight bolt pistol/plasma pistol)

2 Dreadnoughts (2 x Auto Cannons or Plasma /Heavy Flamer)

Covenantkilla
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Covenantkilla » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:37 pm

miniwargaming wrote: 15 Bikes Sergeant with Combi Grav, 2 Gravity Guns

3 Attack Bikes Multi Meltas

6 Centurions (3 Devastator and 3 Assault, I know Assault ones aren't as good, but I want them anyway for completeness) Gravity Cannons, Assault one's are terrible so that's your call.

10 Assault Terminators Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield for five, Lightning Claws for other five.

5 Terminators Assault Cannon on one,chainfist on another

10 Devastators I use these guys all the time, I would recommend 4 missile launchers, it makes them great at anti horde and anti vehicle

10 Sternguard keep these guys standard with bolters. no need to pile points on an already expensive unit.

2 Predators magnetize these tanks for both load outs. there is no reason not too. Dont forget to magnetize the dozer blade, stormbolter, and hunter-killer, etc...

2 Command Squads (5 models each) apothecary in both, don't even consider taking the champ or banner. magnitize one squad for meltas,plasma guns,flamers. The other, take power swords (for a combat unit that can support your captain), give them storm shields if you have the points.

2 Commanders Kit these idiots out for close combat, Give one a jump pack.

2 Razorbacks go las/plas on these guys(duality will save the day everyday) don't forget to magnetize stormbolters, dozerblades, etc...

2 Drop pods magnetize the weapon loadouts, its not hard.

10 Assault Marines Two flamers, melta bomb on Sergeant. Keep them cheap!!

10 Scouts Vet Sergeant with melta bomb, combat blades on all, scouts statistically do more damage in combat due to the fact they hit on 4 against most units. Do not waste your time with bolters or shotguns, they are useless on these guys.

40 Tactical Marines Give the Sergeant a bolter or storm bolter, make him a veteran, give him a meltabomb. Don't bother kitting him out for combat, a shooting unit shouldn't have combat characters. Give the heavy weapon guy a heavy bolter for those three snap shots on the move, give the special weapon guy a plasma gun for AP2 and high strength.

2 Dreadnoughts these guys are pretty terrible, my only recommendation is the rifleman dreadnought or the las/missle. Keep them out of combat
I urge you to follow my advice, I've been playing space marines for a long time.

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:46 pm

Why not take the Company Champion, CovenantKilla?
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)