Rumour round up.

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
The Airman
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Re: Rumour round up.

Post by The Airman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:54 am

So I'm converting my Ball Predators into Leman Russes by switching the turrets and plastering a heavy bolter on the front. Thoughts, or should I just man up and buy the LR kits? I'm not even sure it'll work, but I do know one thing: it'll look weird.

Also: I'm trying my best to not justify buying five boxes of shocktroops to use as a conscript blob. Emprah help me.
Clearly Superior.

'Airman, a winner is you. :wink: '-commando_jim
'I <3 you Airman!'-dreadlord
'I <3 you aman!'-Ronin
'I agree with Airman 100%'-Ashran

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:25 pm

It would look kind of silly I guess. I like the leman russ kits, as you don't really have to glue the weapons in and you can easily switch them even without magnets. If you don't mind empty sponsons the kit is quite flexible.

As for blob guard, I started back in 4th when blobs where compulsory, not an option. To this day nothing warms my heart more than pushing blobs of plastic dudes to their certain doom.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:09 pm

Back when a box of $20 guardsmen were the same cost as a box of 10 marines.
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

Captain-Shawn
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Captain-Shawn » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:04 pm

Making a Leman Russ out of a Baal Predator, I like it! I say give it a whirl, as there is nothing better than seeing converted vehicles on the battlefield.

Don't buy the boxes! Look to ebay/bargin bins/other players for those conscripts, no need to pay the max price tag when all you need are the lasguns. If you absolutely can't find any guardsmen through external sources, then I guess there is no other option, hopefully you have a LGS that gives discounts!
"Why did the Necromancer kill everyone in the tavern? He wanted to raise the bar!"

The Airman

Post by The Airman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:32 am

From Dakkadakka:

Basic Russ is 150
Exterminator 130
Vanquisher 135
Eradicator 120
Demolisher 170
Punisher 140
Executioner 155

Pask HQ in a Punisher/Vanquisher with two Exterminator supports?
Clearly Superior.

'I <3 you aman!'-Ronin

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:55 am

Looks good to me, those 3 should get some serious dakka on the field.

Also those prices look totally logical and balanced, making every variant look playable. Can it be true?
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:18 am

Well the bullgryns compared to our current ogryns are 15 points more for +1 armour save and hammer of wrath while losing furious charge. Not bad really.

The Airman

Post by The Airman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:48 am

Arnathos wrote:Looks good to me, those 3 should get some serious dakka on the field.

Also those prices look totally logical and balanced, making every variant look playable. Can it be true?
I feel the MBT should be 120/130 because of the ordinance for the Battle Cannon. The loss of Lumbering Behemoth was a serious blow to the Russ, and this new codex doesn't do anything for the vanilla variant. Everything else (barring the Exterminator) is definitely better.

Though what is the Exterminator good for? Grab three armored sents for the price. The same with the Eradicator, when you have two or three Wyverns? Sure you lose killing power, but you make up for it with the sheer volume of shots -- you kill MEQs on a 4+. If someone could do a run down of each variant and what to do with it, that'd be great. Definitely want to do Pask in a Punisher/Vanquisher though.
IGfanatic wrote:Well the bullgryns compared to our current ogryns are 15 points more for +1 armour save and hammer of wrath while losing furious charge. Not bad really.
Still wouldn't field them. Ever. The same with Rough Riders. Now, if you could deep strike Bullgryns, they'd have their uses. Conscript blob on one side, Bullgryns on the other. Good for casual games, no doubt.

Edit: I take back what I said about the Exterminator: it's heavy 4 with twin linked. I think I'm going to spam the ever living **** out of these.
Clearly Superior.

'I <3 you aman!'-Ronin

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:34 am

How does a 20 point drop not make the exterminator better? Sure, its still a overgrown Hydra, but at least its cheaper now.

And I feel 150 points is a fair price for the battle cannon with 14 13 10, sure you always snap shot, but lets not forget you used to not be able to fire any other weapons at all. No one was more sad than me when I found out that in 6th edition my LRBT with hull mounted lascannon was no longer the most efficient loadout, as it had stood the test of time for a full 2 editions. Back in 4th weapon destroyed would always take out the battle cannon, so you always had the lascannon to fall back on. In 5th you could fire both! Now its just 15 points for a single snapshot that on average hits once per game, if at all.
But all in all I feel the battle cannon is still a good option due to its insane range , MEQ killing power, threat to most IC without T5> or eternal warrior and because it is an ordinance weapon it can still somewhat reliably destroy medium tanks as well as glancing heavy ones.

All in all if that list is true I feel the Eradicator got the best out of that deal if its main gun is still a heavy weapon(if it goes to Ordinance it stinks), as it is an excellent way to get rid of pesky enemy scoring units in cover.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

The Airman

Post by The Airman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:58 am

Perhaps you can blast enemy troops with the Eradicator, but you get more mileage with Wyverns in my opinion. I plan on running three of the four-barreled monstrosities backed by two full squadrons of armored Sentinels, one with LCs and the other with....I don't know yet. Maybe ACs or even more LCs.

Either way I'm really excited about the Exterminator despite the Chimera nerfs.
Clearly Superior.

'I <3 you aman!'-Ronin

Captain-Shawn
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Captain-Shawn » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:43 pm

Seeing these point costs, the Bullgyrns cost more than some Leman Russ variants, so fielding them instead of a Leman Russ is defiantly something to waffle. Still, the +1 Armor when next to each other and +1 cover save to everyone behind them does make them a good meat shield as they can be providing 4+ cover to a line of tanks behind them. Used properly I can see the Bullgyrns literally providing good cover and distractions for a Mechanized army, and their stats makes shooting at them difficult to do. They're tough enough to kill, and can even tie down (or club to death if they preform well enough) any anti-infantry squads that are threatening your formation. I would keep them from CC though unless absolutely necessary, as I would need them shifting around my tanks making sure the enemy never gets a clear shot at them (particularly on side armor). Seeing the cost of the Leman Russ and brothers, I'd have to do a lot of playtesting and see if I could truely justify fielding this walking Aegis. Infantry defiantly just need their actual Aegis to stand behind.

Exterminators was always an appealing variant, but I just could never bring myself to field it as a Battlecannon just does more damage than an Autocannon and considering the points, how could I turn down the LRBT. Now, it's hard to justify not bringing an Exterminator. I find it interesting that the stock LRBT is unchanged point wise, compared to it's brothers this makes it rather unappealing as you can field other (granted, more specialized) variants for cheaper. In Mechanized Terms, I think the LRBT is going to fade and the Vanquisher/Exterminator/Executioner will rise as the heavy support for Mechanized lists. A Vanquisher leading two Exterminators (maybe even with all with Hull Lascannons for that extra kick) would make a great anti-tank squad, while a squad of Executioners will melt MEQs and any infantry that dares march infront of it's line of fire. In such terms, the Eradicator could be used as a dedicated infantry killer for Mechanized armies, though as Airman said a squad of Wyverns could do this job better and safer, and even the Executioner outshines it comparatively as the Eradicator can only muster 1 hit on larger targets, the Executioner can land 3. All of this assuming the Executioner cannon still doesn't Get Hot!, if it does, then I take everything I said about it back. The LRBT is defiantly going to hang around though, it's still invaluable to Infantry based armies who need something to splat Marines in a hurry, or make the hull of an APC go 'pop!' while being packaged ontop of a durable tank platform that laughs at the attempts of a Lascannon shot trying to pierce it's hull. The LRBT, and Basilisk side by side, are a multi-role asset to Infantry forces, and I'm happy to see that hasn't changed.

The fact Pask is a HQ, freeing up one of my Heavy Slots, pleases me greatly. I can squeeze in some of these Executioners now.

I vote for more LC Sentinels. Or even Plasma Cannons, if you're willing to risk the Gets Hot!
"Why did the Necromancer kill everyone in the tavern? He wanted to raise the bar!"

rollingthunder
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by rollingthunder » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:51 pm

so tomorrow we all will see, if the ig will come out fighting or flop. I for one hope that the imperial guard will come out trampol all under it feet and tread.

The Airman

Post by The Airman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:12 am

Idea: Pask in an Exterminator. Yay or nay because a Vanquisher is better?
Clearly Superior.

'I <3 you aman!'-Ronin

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:57 am

Pask is a tad too expensive for my taste, but I would say punisher, to make the most out of his rending. But a 50% price jump on top of a normal leman russ is very harsh.

Furthermore, I finally got to read through the codex today(was too busy yesterday, evil boss making me work while he read it :( ) and for the record I would like to state that I love this codex, it is awesome. Anyone who disagrees with me is wrong and their opinion is invalid.

I won't spoil anything for those of you who can't wait to see for yourselves, but it is an amazing codex, despite veterans still being troops and the lack of warrior weapons.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:00 pm

Just riddle me this...army wide special rules? Anything cool and useful?

I cant get mine for 2 weeks due to store not being able to order anything till the 20th.