MysticJackals weekly paint and introduction

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
MysticJackal
Silver Vault Member

MysticJackals weekly paint and introduction

Post by MysticJackal » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:34 pm

So, excuse my awkwardness here. I'm new, as you can see by my limited number of post, and wanted to drop in.

Right now I'm in a bit of a painting drive, and I have a lot of painting (for me) to do. I've got a Terminator Sergeant I'm finishing off, Vulkan Hestan to do, a Dreadnaught and A Stormraven. So I should be able to offer plenty of weekly progresses.

That said, I'm not very good. I have very bad eye sight and a natural lack of artstic talent.

You wont be seeing any golden demons here. But I am keen to learn and pick up new techninques. So if your interested in watching my progress i'm happy to share.

Imperia
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: MysticJackals weekly paint and introduction

Post by Imperia » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:55 pm

I'll be surely looking forward to seeing a new army grow, is it by any chance a salamanders army with Vulkan in there or are you doing a different chapter?

And hey, not everyone can be an 'eavy metal painter, as long as you put 100% effort into your paint job, how can you be disappointed? I have very clumsy hands and I struggle with minor details in all things with my hand, but I once spent all day painting some Dark Eldar, and I put a lot of effort into my models, perhaps my disappointment is healthy, as it shows that I have a want to improve, and whilst my models were definitely not the nicest on the table, I was proud of it and each model was better than the last.

Besides, you can't improve if you don't do it at all can you?

MysticJackal
Silver Vault Member

Post by MysticJackal » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:27 am

That's very true. My first models were terrible. I didn't do them with love. Just giant globs of paint and a "eh close enough." The later ones are much better. As you say, you cant improve if you do it.

Yeah it is a Salamanders army. I both am a fan of the color green, and the fluff of the Salamanders is really good stuff. They are one of the few true good guys of the 40k universe. So far my army has a healthy amount of melta, but I have not yet embraced the flamers. But yet is a word set to change.

I've found I've built my armies more for style and what I like the look of than for any table top effectiveness. (Ok a little table top effectiveness).

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:57 am

Welcome aboard and looking forward to plenty of pics!

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:19 am

Enough of the talking, show us some pictures! :D Oh and welcome to the forum!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:52 am

Welcome abroad!.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:22 am

Welcome =D

Don't worry about your paint level you will improve! I have really bad eyesight too so if I can do it, so can you!

These threads are a great motivational tool as well. Looking forward to more miniatures rawr!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

OverlordRick
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by OverlordRick » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:34 am

I'm going to be living vicariously through you until I can get my models to school. I'm excited to see what goes down here :)

TheArmorOfContempt
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by TheArmorOfContempt » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:07 pm

I recommend picking up a painting guide, I pretty much follow the one for my Ultramarines, and it has really helped me out. If your eyesight is bad ensure you have plenty of light and perhaps a magnifying glass of sorts attached. Don't be afraid to go all out on the details on your first models, because it will be less for you to redo once you get good and decide you hate your first ones...

MysticJackal
Silver Vault Member

Post by MysticJackal » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:36 am

I realise I talked up a little bit of a game and then went silent here. So its probably about time I put up a few pictures. I got the sucker finished up.

I appear to need to learn how to post images in forums again, its been so long.

MysticJackal
Silver Vault Member

Post by MysticJackal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:19 am

There we go figured it out

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:00 am

A very nice first start! The next step would be to shade your mini a bit by applying washes! I hope you aren't dissapointed by people not reacting to your pictures... but you posted in an outdated (2015) Forum so my guess is that people simply didn't notice you still posting here! I just got here by accident as well so I'd simply recommend you to repost these pictures in the 2016 section. ;) Keep up the painting!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard