These WIP's Don't Lie - BigAxeGod's Weekly Paint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Re: These WIP's Don't Lie - BigAxeGod's Weekly Paint

Post by Munin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:25 pm

I really like the red & yellow diamond checker pattern on your Nurgle Lord. That's a nice detail.

Dez is right, your light source needs to be placed more laterally. Actually, what you probably need is to keep the overhead light source you have and get ANOTHER light source that shines laterally. And if you're feeling really clever, get ANOTHER light source such that you have one from overhead, one from oblique left, and one from oblique right.

Or, you know, take photos outside on an evenly overcast day with lots of diffuse light.

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:36 pm

Yeah I have just considered doing that :)

Cheers, my carnival of chaos is meant to have the appearance of a brightly-coloured, fun carnival that has been decayed by nurgle over an extremely long time. I have a Plague cart conversion that that will eventually be in the same scheme. I'm super excited to show it off too but that won't be for quite a while. I've still got to finish constructing a few details and it hasn't got a single lick of paint on it yet.
Khorne Daemonkin mostly right now...ask again next week.

My WIP Thread: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 8&t=115134

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:42 pm

Sorry for vanishing for a couple of days, been super busy working on my khorne almost non-stop. Sadly I work at a snails pace. But here is my (Khorne-themed) possessed-tax (using the Blood Warriors models because I don't like the possessed ones that much.

Also interestingly my first attempt at OSL...I'm pretty happy with it:

I've come to realise that I think half the reason all my pictures are so dark is just because I paint my minis so dark.

As always cheers for any feedback :D

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:08 pm

Well I'm afraid you've used up all of your MWG vacation time for the year :)

Looking good, I like the OSL!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:15 pm

Cheers, I'm so happy with the way it turned out. Thinking of using it on my DP and bloodletter weapons now.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:00 pm

You're a great painter. I love the dark colours you used on them as I've always prefered it to crimson. The OSL is very well made and not exagerated. It adds a little touch without dominating the miniature. I agree with you in not liking the Possessed miniature that much. Not that their models isn't well made, but simply that it doesn't fit with my tastes.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:52 am

Your Khorne Blokes look great, and your photo quality is definitely improving too. Keep at it :D
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.