Mars-Crusader's Weekly Paint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Mars-Crusader
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Re: Mars-Crusader's Weekly Paint

Post by Mars-Crusader » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:55 pm

Guildenstern wrote:makes good sense! can't tell you how many times I put something into what looked really great and then it got bumped/snapped off ><
I snapped the top part of the staff off of Aetaos'rau'keres one day reaching over it to grab something else at an Apoc battle. I raged quite hard at myself.

Mars-Crusader
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Mars-Crusader » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:56 am

This week I painted my first Skitarri model. If i'm going to continue painting these guys I will need to get myself a fine detail brush. So many little parts to get in and work on.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:14 pm

I love the Vanguard models and your paintjob is fantastic. The red is very vibrant.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Mars-Crusader
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mars-Crusader » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:06 am

I am mostly pleased with the paint job. I would like a neater blend between the orange and red. I also want to make the gun pop more. I followed the paint steps from White Dwarf 61. Looking at this picture now, I am wondering why I took the picture before attaching the back pack.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:35 pm

He looks really good, I didn't even notice the backpack wasn't on lol

I didn't get the white dwarf copy but the warhammer visions from May had some really good pointers and pictures of the skitarii too
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Mars-Crusader
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mars-Crusader » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:27 pm

I have been very busy lately with work and so have not been able to update this regularly. I painted my Tech Priest a few weeks ago and finally have the chance to post pictures. It will probably be the middle of October before I can start posting weekly again.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:31 pm

It looks great!

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:15 am

Great looking model. As far as some feedback goes on improving your painting, I would suggest that you try a darker red wash to put into the creases of the robes, I can see you have done the highlight but the middle and deep sections are the same colour so you loose some of that depth.
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Thalric » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:14 am

Looks really nice!
Apparently I am not the only one to go with green for the flask on his back :D

Mars-Crusader
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mars-Crusader » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:28 pm

@Kovlovsky thank you for the kind words
@Thalric Green is a sweet color for flasks.
@FarseerI've been thinking the same thing Farseer. I'm not sure if I want to use a wash since the recesses of the robe aren't that deep or just use a darker shade of red.
Now this weeks sample is not war gaming related. I'm big into Halloween, sadly though this year since I started a new job I will not be able to have time off to partake in any of my usual October festivities. But that will not keep me from working on some Halloween projects as they come up. So my girlfriend is going as Éowyn from the LotR. We were out and she bought this

and I turned it into this

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:54 pm

Holy cow. That is amazing. Was it traditional paint job or airbrushing?
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:56 pm

That's an impressive shield! She will have a very flashy halloween costume.

Mars-Crusader
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mars-Crusader » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:50 pm

First I spray painted the shield with Krylon Emerald Green. Then I sketched out the horse head on some cardboard that I had lying around and made a large stencil. Once dry I applied the stencil and sprayed walmarts generic flat white. I free handed the mane with a brush and cleaned up the horse with ceramite white. I used snot green to clean up the green. I cant wait to see her in costume on her horse.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:44 am

...and she has a horse to go with it?

#winninghalloween
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:54 am

wow... best girlfriend *ever*... also, awesome job on the shield! that's sweet!!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)