Penguin's weekly paint (Newb!)

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
ArchonPenguin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Penguin's weekly paint (Newb!)

Post by ArchonPenguin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:31 am

So I am returning to 40k after a long (15 years!) break and this place looks like a good place to set up camp and start relearning how to paint the small pieces of plastic crack we all know and love.

So first up, I'm currently half blind (40-50% regular vision) due to operations and other unfortunate circumstances so tips from anyone with really bad eyesight (or has just consumed their bodyweight in vodka) on painting would be much appreciated!

Starting from an odd stage as I have several models at varying degrees of painting as I test stuff, a few primed, assembled or still in box. So in the past week I have learned it's really hard to paint some things post assembly but onward we go!

So first up, a Kabalite warrior!

Got plenty of things to test and build, (3 x venoms, a raider, razorwing, 40+ warriors, wyches, archon and on and on and on....(my god my poor wallet)).
Look forward to tips and feedback!

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Re: Penguin's weekly paint (Newb!)

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:20 pm

O.o wow if you hadn't told us about the half blind issue I would not have guessed it, because your models look awesome.

Anyway, welcome to Weekly Paint! I am sure someone around here has tips for painting with poor eyesight.. I personally can't say anything to be help ful.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:29 pm

Hello and Welcome! Nice work so far, especially given your eyesight.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

ArchonPenguin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ArchonPenguin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:57 pm

Thanks both! Small update, Razorwing underway! Looking forward to finishing this tomorrow and posting it up!

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:59 pm

Welcome aboard and you picked the BEST Army!

ArchonPenguin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ArchonPenguin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:08 pm

Nappen wrote:Welcome aboard and you picked the BEST Army!
Thanks and hell yeah! Nothing like cackling like a madman whilst thundering across the board in as many venoms as you can find!

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:48 pm

Like the previous posters said, it doesn't look like you have vision troubles. Your miniature is amazing!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

ArchonPenguin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ArchonPenguin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:52 pm

Thanks Kov, though I think close up it needs some touches! Update on the Razorwing, I made a booboo with the engine mounts and they have not come out straight (both of the middle ones are pointing down) so I now have a derpy Razorwing!

ArchonPenguin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ArchonPenguin » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:50 am

So I got distracted prior to working on the Razorwing by Scourges.

Quick prime on the wings

And a double wash of Drakenhof and a drybrush of lilac later

Not entirely happy with the drybrush on this. Need some practice!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:53 am

Welcome to the Weekly Paint! I'm not sure I can suggest much about painting with impaired vision... aside from relying on drybrushing and washes a lot which do the work for you.

Looks like you're off to a good start!
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

ArchonPenguin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ArchonPenguin » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:57 pm

Cheers Mike! So not much progress today, missiles and guns done and Razorwing basecoated. Went sleuthing on various sites for a carry case and picked up a three tier case with foam, with a mini 500 pt space marine army (terminators, dreadnaught and tac squads) and an opposing Ork army with some Boyz, the old deathcopterz, a Warboss and Nob on a boar! Not bad! Pictures and more work tomorrow.]

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:36 pm

I like the drybrush on the wings! Looks very good.

re: vision - if you can use a magnifier, great! Depends on the kinds of problems you have of course =/ real lighting may help (full spectrum lights) Otherwise take frequent breaks! rest your eyes a lot, focus on things further away (even if it's a tv) and it'll help the muscles relax so after your rest you'll be able to focus on closer objects for longer. If you get eyestrain headaches (or even if you don't) a really hot washcloth on the eyes helps a lot I've found, as hot as you can stand. Even for people with regular vision, it just feels nice and helps the muscles relax.

Anyway, as other's said - wouldn't have thought you had sight issues from your work! welcome aboard :)
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

ArchonPenguin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ArchonPenguin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:17 am

Thanks Guild, I'll have to try that washcloth tip :D

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:33 am

I do sorta know an eye exercise thanks to a kids show my nieces like. I think it goes; look left, look right, then something close like you nose, then far away like the next day. Could been wrong, the show is a British one called Sarah and Duck
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

ArchonPenguin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ArchonPenguin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:39 am

Soria I was with you up until the "far away like the next day", my crystal ball is sadly in for a polish for the moment so I guess I'll find something else far away will do for now :D I'll give it a try though!

Quick shot of part of the haul from yesterday, all models from 2005 and the Orks are in really good condition, shame some of the space marines are a little battered.

And a quick shot of the rockets! Sticking with the same colour theme, just need to figure out how to contrast the gems / bumps with the green / gold / silver. Any suggestions?

Quick update on the Razorwing, wash one done highlights and more washes inc!