dacoty's #theweeklypaint2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Xaz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: dacoty's #theweeklypaint2015

Post by Xaz » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:29 am

I use the grey primer with my airbrush and love it. Haven't tried the black yet.
Orks 5680

Necrons 3170

Space Marines 2100

dacoty
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by dacoty » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:34 am

7.15.15:
I got some work done on Drask. did some basecoating, washing, and a little highlighting. here he is( so far):

got lots of cleanup to do on him, i'll continue on that tomorrow.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:44 am

It's looking great so far! I hope to see the final result soon. :)
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:08 am

That's a great start! Keep at it :D
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:50 pm

Great job. I would encourage you to do a bit more with the gun, some more black wash or even some corrosion. The silver just looks a bit clean compared to the rest of the model.
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:20 am

Welcome and great work so far.

My only additional recommendation would be to drill out the gun barrel. Small thing that makes a big difference.

ArchonPenguin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ArchonPenguin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:43 am

Nappen wrote:Welcome and great work so far.

My only additional recommendation would be to drill out the gun barrel. Small thing that makes a big difference.
Slightly off topic but whats the easiest way to do that post-painting?

On topic, looks good so far, finished version will look great!

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:53 am

I'd do it the same as before its painted. Then just touch it up, you can cover any blemishes with muzzle burn (can't think if what the smoky residue is called atm)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Farseer Oz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:10 am

Yeah pin vice, paint hole black touch up sides with silver. Done.

dacoty
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by dacoty » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:53 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I hadn't been able to work on this the past couple of days, but I plan on doing more tonight.

dacoty
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by dacoty » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:33 am

7.17.15:
Did some more work on Drask. Changed a few things around paint-wise, and tried my hand at edge highlighting. still got more work to do to clean things up and finish the gun. I did drill the barrel this time. apologies for the pic quality.. i promise i'll light-box the finished product when i'm done!

Thanks to everyone for the good suggestions so far!

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:11 pm

Well done! I like the finished product. I love your cape, it looks worn out and to have seen combat a lot.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

dacoty
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by dacoty » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:29 pm

7.18.15:
Drask is finished, or as about as finished as i can get him with my current level of skill.
Front
Back
Sides

I had a blast doing this, and i hope my skills will just get better over time. I've also learned that i need to get more lamps for the makeshift lightbox in my office!

That's all for this week.
To Do list: Assassins, Skitarii/Admech army, Dark angels, and some Chosen.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:11 pm

Nice!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Farseer Oz

Post by Farseer Oz » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:30 pm

Great job, it has come out very good.

I recommend you buy a white light (daylight) bulb for your lamp instead of the standard yellow light, this will make your photo's come out a lot better and it is also better to paint under as well.