Akylos' #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Re: Akylos' #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:49 am

BACON FOR THE BACON GOD!! WAFFLES FOR THE WAFFLE THRONE!!!
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Akylos » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:38 am

Alas, the pancakes had failed their initiative test and were swallowed whole by a pack of gluttonous daemons.

Since I really felt the need for a troop transport I started on my Ghost Ark, but since the kit is quite expensive I wanted to magnetise it so I could switch to a Doomsday ark if I wanted to.

Some of those parts are quite fiddly to work with, so I had quite the challenge fitting magnets everywhere.

I know the gaus flayer arrays are upside down in the Doomsday Ark version, but I really couldn't bring myself to magnetising all those pieces too.
*CAW*

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:10 pm

It's a shame how GW profits from box allowing to build two different units to raise prices even more. Good job at countering their plan.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Akylos » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:58 pm

It's weird how some kits really seem designed to counter magnetising and some seem to have holes specifically designed to house magnets.
*CAW*

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:03 pm

Akylos wrote:It's weird how some kits really seem designed to counter magnetising and some seem to have holes specifically designed to house magnets.
Just as planned. :twisted:
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:22 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:
Akylos wrote:It's weird how some kits really seem designed to counter magnetising and some seem to have holes specifically designed to house magnets.
Just as planned. :twisted:
It's all Chaos's fault!!!

That model looks really cool Akylos! I can definitely see why youd want to magnetise it too. Something that size really out to give more options imo
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Akylos » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:55 am

So I played Age of Sigmar these last few days.

I initially was a Fantasy player, but I kind of got out of the game when the End Times started. Even before that wave hit things were coming out way to fast for me. I decided to take a Fantasy break until things settled down.

After two weeks of playing AoS this is is my decision:

Basing doesn't matter anyway :P

It's amazing how well these models rank up. Almost as if they were designed this way :twisted:
*CAW*

Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Akylos » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:39 am

Summer holidays have passed so it's time to get working again!

However, getting some hobby done each day is causing some friction with the wife, as we spend our free time separated. Me in my hobby room, she in the living room reading or watching TV.

Moving my whole painting and assembling set to the living room is a bit of a chore as I have to gather all I will need for this session, often forgetting multiple things and having to walk back and forth all evening (first world problems I know). After I'm done for the day I have to pack up everything because I was using either my desk or the living room table, both of which we'll be needing the next day.
So I'd much rather paint and model in my hobby room as I have al my things there and things can be dropped as they were to be picked up at a later time.

So now I have an excuse to make a mobile workstation so I have everything I need, wherever I need it. To be fair I was planning to do it anyway, our latest discussion just gave me the motivation I needed.

To be honest, this is not my own design or idea. I've seen the design for this a few years ago and I'm just copying this person's work. I wish I could remember where I got it from so I could link to his work.
I'm not very familiar with woodworking and I don't have many tools for that, so things may be a bit rough around the edges. I'm going for practicality over looks anyway.

So here is where I'm at:

(The back two rows are actually a stack of GW paints, it is made to fit Vallejo paint pots)

The result should be a box containing the paint rack and drawers for the materials. The lid doubles as a second level when opened. It's all very simple but hard to explain in words. Things should be clear when I get more work done on the box.
*CAW*

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:11 pm

nice! i've thought about getting GWs version but tbh it looked too restrictive, I like what you're doing a whole lot better
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Akylos » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:52 pm

When I first heard of GW's "Project Box" me immediate reaction was: "Who would ever buy such a thing?", but afterwards I came very close to actually buying one. But I too found their design a bit restrictive. Besides it's way more fun to do it yourself :)
*CAW*

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:25 pm

Somethings you just gotta do yourself. I have never had a need for a portable paint station since hobby time is my alone time, but it would be a neat idea for my nieces.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:31 pm

I have a portable station too...for the same reason :)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Akylos » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:58 am

For me, gaming time is my alone time. When a bunch of geeks start to play miniature wargames, she doesn't want to be near :lol:

The box is developing well:

I'm still busy building drawers at the moment. I can only clamp so much at one time, so it slows the progress quite a bit. I had hoped to finish it by the end of the weekend, now I think it'll be done beginning next week.

I had to buy/loan some additional tools as the project went on. I was not equipped to work with wood at all. In fact, the entire painting rack and base of the box were cut with a knife alone. It took me some blisters before I decided to buy a saw, but now I absolutely love it!
*CAW*

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:37 pm

Looking good, can't wait to see it done.