Akylos' #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: Akylos' #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Akylos » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:10 pm

And we are back.

Busy times came, hobby time went away. It is the way of things.

I don't know how much time I'll have the coming weeks, but I want to get the hobby groove back.

On page one you may have noticed an Imperial Sector box (among other things). Although the box seems large enough, it's quite deceptive. It is actually massive.
It not only contains two full imperial sector sets, but also three Shrine of the Aquila sets, most of them already cut from the sprue to save space.

This box has stared at me for a few years now, but now the time has come to make something out of it.

This is the start of what should become the main cathedral. It will be big, not only to look impressive, but to act as a "box" in which the smaller terrain pieces can be stored.
*CAW*

Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Akylos » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:04 pm

First ruin sort of finished:

Second ruin nearly there:

As I'm finishing up my Grey Knights I'm looking at what my next army will be. At the moment I have my eye fixed on Chaos. I've got some models from the Dark Vengeance set, the Assassinorum game and some stuff from trades that I'll probably work on in the coming weeks.

Today I've been converting some of the Chosen so they can be used as regular Chaos Space Marines:

And I've taken this opportunity to buy some of the new bases to put them on. Luckily, since I have so much stuff leftover from my COD, I could use them as basing material:

*CAW*

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:22 pm

I really love your ruins and the big shell hole. Your conversion of the DV Chosen is pretty neat too. Have you an idea of which colour scheme you will paint them?
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Akylos » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:44 pm

I'm going with the Alpha Legion, as they were always my favourite.
I've acquired some FW shoulderpads that I used to cover up some damage I did to some of the arms while cutting off weapon arms.

As for colour, I'm picking up some Tamiya paints tomorrow. A friend of mine recommended their clear blue and green paints for a glossy, eerie cyan colour.
*CAW*

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:53 pm

Very cool!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:03 pm

I approve the choice of the Alpha Legion. They are my second favorite legion after the Thousand Sons.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Khankore
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Khankore » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:18 pm

very nice indeed!
Casey Stratton
http://miniaturemodelrescue.blogspot.com

Models: Too many
Painted: Not enough

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:02 am

now those are some cool bases!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Thalric » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:09 am

Nice work on the ruins and the bases look cool as well :D

Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Akylos » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:33 am

Update on the Cities of Death:

To my great shame, I'm about halfway trough my Imperial Sector bits. I must have hoarded more than I thought...

The brown colour is not really a basecoat. I mixed brown paint with PVA glue to give the sand and spackle a sealing coat. The brown paint is to make sure the white doesn't show when (not if) the painted surface gets scratched.

Most of those are stackable for compact storage:

I'm still looking at how I can best paint these buildings. Painting them all grey with a light gray drybrush will make the whole thing a bit boring. I've tried basecoating one in blue, but the result came out way too bright (not as bright as in the picture though, that's just the flash). The next step would be a heavy wash to darken it up, but I'm not sure it it'll work.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to create different tones in different buildings?

I'm still building more ruins, until all the pieces are spent. The city is in need of another big building!
*CAW*

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:38 am

You could do them all in concrete (gray), but make things interesting by picking out the details.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:13 pm

hmm

I'd say grey but lots of variation. So, basecoat a medium grey, do stippling of lighter shades, wash, and maybe some "runoff" type marks, or rust stains left from rivets/metal areas that is discolouring the walls at various points?
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:03 pm

Nice terrain.
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted