Akylos' #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Akylos' #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Akylos » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:26 pm

Hello there,

My name is Alexander, and I’m a bit of a hoarder.

This is my hobby room now:

(And that's not taking into account all the other boxes lying under the table)

I've let myself go these last years. Work and family prevented me from really doing much hobbywise, but it did not prevent me from buying and trading a whole lot. This kept on going until I ran out of storage room.

Now I have firmly drawn the line there and started to sell off a bunch of stuff I was never going to finish anyway, but still a whole lot remains as you can see. Unfortunately many of the projects have been started over the years only to end up halfway built or painted in a box somewhere, so here is where I'll start with my log. I'll try to get some order into the chaos by mainly finishing up stuff that I've started during these last years. A significant percentage of my workload will also be terrain related as these things tend to take up a lot of space, and although my goad does include painting, it might also encompass a great deal of modelling.

I’ve joined countless “monthly painting”-type events in the past, hoping it would motivate me to get things done, but I’ve always burned out pretty quickly. I just lose interest halfway the month because I don’t like to be forced to focus on one army (or even unit) for too long. Instead I like to tinker daily on some small stuff, just so I can feel like I’m making progress, so this is probably the way I'll go with this log. No great achievements, but the progress of 10-15min of daily toil. To keep the picture spam to a minimum I'll only take pictures sporadically when I have something worth showing.

As a kickoff: here are some destroyers I touched up. I got these in a trade and they were quite badly glued together. I cut them apart and glued them back together as best as I could.

*CAW*

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Akylos' #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Dez » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:42 pm

Welcome to The Weekly Paint and Hoarders Club!

Here is an old pic, it's much worse now. My office has been taken over, as well as my 6x4 table (on top and below). I've also got a beaureau full of stuff and 2 big display cases...and a full Battlefoam Pack 1520 and 720...hoarding. Bits for the Bits throne!

PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:48 pm

Yes, I understand you. I have a ton of Fantasy Orcs waiting to be assembled that are accumulating dust. My friend too has a tendancy of jumping from projects to projects and like to paint something entirely different between projects. Do whatever is the most motivating for you. What are your 40k armies btw?
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Akylos » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:08 pm

Good to see I'm not the only one (although I know it is something of a common thing in this hobby).

For 40k I own:
-Space Marines
-Grey Knights
-Space Wolves
-Astra Militarum
-Chaos Space Marines
-Chaos Daemons
-Tau
-Necrons
-Orks
-Tyranids

All of which are between 2000-3000pts

I'm selling the nids this week and I think I want to get rid of the space wolves too. Chaos will also dissapear although I like to keep a small detachment of Daemons for narrative campaigns and such.

I can't bring myself to get rid of the rest, even though I know I may never even build it. Each of those armies feels like a unique experience I will miss if I ever would sell it.

Plus, it also kind of keeps me from buying new stuff. I don't need AdMech since they "feel" too akin to my Guard, I don't need Eldar cause I can "cheese up" with Tau or Necrons ( :wink: ) etc...
*CAW*

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:21 pm

Ah to bad, I would have loved to see some Chaos Space Marines. I will still be looking at what you post with interest!

Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Akylos » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:09 am

There's always a possibility I end up painting some Chaos marines anyway. If I don't get to sell everything I may quickly paint them up myself for one of my buddies to use. He paints very well but it takes him ages to do so, so this way he won't have to field grey plastic all the time.

In the meantime, I finished all of my trees and plants for the pledge:

*CAW*

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:20 am

They are magnificent. It must be very agreeable to play on your board with such well made pieces of terrain.

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:25 am

Nice.

I need to get a bunch of trees so that I can do a forest or jungle board.

Need to get snow/ice terrain as well.

I just have ruined buildings etc and we get a bit tired of the cityscape every battle.
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Akylos » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:41 pm

I have been toying with a snow/ice table as well. I would like to use the backside of my current table, but I'm a bit afraid I will damage the "earth" side of the boards.

I have also no idea how I can "flock" a whole table with snow or ice without spending loads of money on Woodland Scenics - type stuff.

At the moment I think the cheapest and quickest method may be spraypainting a white sheet to look more icy, but I fear it might look a bit flat afterwards.
*CAW*

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:05 pm

maybe try out the baking soda(or is it powder?!) method of snow?
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Akylos » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:12 pm

Buffed up some scarab bases with a few extra playmates:

*CAW*

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:41 pm

Nice :) . You're good with green stuff!

Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Akylos » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:56 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:Nice :) . You're good with green stuff!
Thanks, but they are just press-moulded. Not my own sculpts :)
*CAW*

Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Akylos » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:23 am

I know, I know... I shouldn't start any new projects, but while my wife was preparing dinner last night my eye fell on this lid:

Isn't that just the perfect shape though?

Before dinner I had my objective marker:

The idea is to have some DoW inspired objective markers on the table. The circular recess is perfect for placing whatever object into it to represent the mysterious objective.
This will also prevent us to park a Land Raider on top of the objective, claiming it for enternity.

Although the size is not exactly correct, we may houserule you have to be in base contact with the marker to be able to claim it.

I need to tell my wife to make this dish more often. About 4 times more :wink:
*CAW*

Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Akylos » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:25 pm

Time to go back to models!
I have a box of Necron models I once bought off someone for cheap. At the time I thought it was a pretty sweet deal, but after closer inspection it turned out many of the models were damaged or converted pretty badly. I had to throw a bunch of them away since they were unsalvagable, but now it's time to make them shine once more.

Here are the Warriors which are in a decent state. A simple rebasing and a fresh coat of paint will be enough to get them tabletop ready.

Then we have this bunch:

This is only a small part of the "broken batch". I'll have to salvage the good bits from each model and combine them in as much functional models as possible.

Lastly I wanted to show this:

It turns out someone used some kind of latex to glue the flock to the bases. The stuff is increadibly hard to remove properly. Large parts of the legs of figures are coated in the stuff.
*CAW*