Jarrin's Weekly Painting 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Jarrin's Weekly Painting 2015

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:52 pm

wow those are looking really really good Jarrin!

also, have to say, really impressed with your camera work - very clear pictures, no blurs nuttin.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:18 am

Loving this colour scheme, the orange and black work great together!
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:50 am

I agree. It almost has a kind of Halloween feel to it, which is appropriate given that Necrons look like skeletons!

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:53 am

The colour scheme is awesome. Not cartoon at all.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:10 pm

Gates to another world... A bad one
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:22 am

Hrm. It really looks like your lightest color (the orange) is in the recesses and the darkest color is on the raised portions. If you're going for a glowing effect, this is exactly backwards. Not saying it can't be done that way (it can be used to create a really neat "cooling magma" look), but it actually requires much sharper color transitions to pull off because you need to counteract the natural shadows that fall on the recesses of the textured surface of the mini.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:32 pm

For a surface that small, you probably don't need to do wet-blending. If you want a smooth color transition, successive highlights using coats thinned to just a hair thicker than glaze consistency (such that it doesn't run into the recessed areas) should give you the effect you want. This is an example from the invasion beam on my Night Scythe:
The dark red tones are actually darker than what shows in the photo, but my lighting is pretty crappy. But it serves to illustrate the point - this was built up using successive highlights from dark red all the way through orange and yellow to white, then I went back and hit then entire area with a crimson-red glaze to get it all exactly the shade I wanted and further blend the color transitions. It sounds way more complicated than it actually is.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:14 am

Hey! You did a very nice job on that old Chaos Dreadnought. I will get a lot of flak there, but I actually prefer the old model than the mutated Helbrute. It fits my personnal tastes better. I think you painted it very well.

For the eyes, I would say bright yellow or bright orange would be nice.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:28 am

Second the yellow or orange. Green is Chrismasy, and blue doesn't say evil to me.