RPG's #theweeklypaint 2015 (pic heavy)

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: RPG's #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by rollplayinggamer » Sat May 23, 2015 9:41 pm

Darn. I need to paint the tervigon but i've been working on praetorians and terrain all day. Hopefully i'll get some pictures up tonight. I haven't been painting lately. Which sucks because the deadline is the 26th!

I imagine some Saturday morning cartoon music is playing in my head. The 'suspense' kind. Hopefully everything ends all warm and fuzzy. And i get it all done in the end even though i'm slower then a turtle when it comes to painting and modeling. Specifically the modeling part.
40k armies:
'Nids Hive Fleet Mantis 2000+ pts
Ork Goffs / Orks 1700+ pts
Ragnar Blackmane's Great Company 600+ pts

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rollplayinggamer » Sun May 24, 2015 5:34 am

Big 4:30AM update lots of pictures.
rollplayinggamer wrote:Darn. I need to paint the tervigon but i've been working on praetorians and terrain all day. Hopefully i'll get some pictures up tonight.
I'm really hoping i can spin this off as ambiguous wording and that i didn't actually mean the tervigon as pictures :mrgreen:

Working on a 40k building. Space wolf waving hello in the background too. But PRAETORIANS! I've always loved these guys. Carrying around dying stars in their weapons. That's metal. Like really metal.
Promethium pipes. I decided to not glue them. And instead use poster tac to stick them together via the inside. Cheaper then magnets. Sticky, But cheaper then magnets.
My friend and I awhile ago took a shot at foam terrain. We ended up with this, (and one other piece) Broken wire cutters. Dripping hot glue and PVA glue everywhere. I finally salvaged this mountain because i really like it. Sealing with PVA glue so far has been a disaster as the aforementioned shenanigans with friend. So i'm just going with H20 primer.. I'll salvage the other piece tomorrow (From the dried on crusty paper towel my friend for some reason left on drying PVA sealed foam)
Honored imperium, Primed.
Old halo battlescape i got when i was way younger. Converting it to warhammer 40k terrain, Primed and ready to start painting!
I also have a fat mat. w/ tervigon cameo :)
"Accidentally" set the pipes in a T shape. And i've got a friend coming over for a game tomorrow who's name starts with a T. Spooky.

So i've got a lot to work on. Going to tackle the praetorians AFTER the tervigon as the heavy hitters big brawl is ending soon.
40k armies:

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rollplayinggamer » Tue May 26, 2015 9:53 pm

Yay! epicduckmike forgot the pic submit thread so now everyone has more time! Yay!

So while i work on the finishing touches of the tervigon..

I recently finished the first part of the wolf lord on thunder wolf. I tried to paint the wolf after my recently deceased dog. That was awhile ago though, Just added some shades to make it look a little better.

I'll work on the wolf lord himself AFTER the tervgion. Better add that to my giant list of things to paint..

(Basing i did awhile ago for a weekly painting pledge. I think it was 4 wrack bases and the wolf lord base? Can't remember)
40k armies:

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rollplayinggamer » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:07 am

Finished the tervigon finally.

You can also find these pictures on the picture submit thread for may in the painting death match. But i haven't updated this weekly paint with something freshly painted.. In well about 1 week or more. Preatorians will be next!
40k armies:

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Thalric » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:42 am

Looks really nice! I especially like the scuffed look on the claws and parts of the carapace!

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rollplayinggamer » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Thanks. Having to delay my painting as my basecoat brushes are in terrible condition. Getting one of those fancy GW base coat brushes in. Can't wait to try it.
40k armies:

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rollplayinggamer » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:22 pm

Base coat brush is here. Starting work on praetorians, raider, and scarabs.
40k armies:

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:16 pm

How do you like it? the base coat brush?
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rollplayinggamer » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:36 pm

The medium base coat brush is pretty good so far. So far i've basecoated 1 preatorian and did some work on a scarab base. Haven't really used it a lot yet. But it's in good condition, relatively easy to get that good" tip on your brush" the warhammer tv painting guy is always talking about (duncan?)

And it's very flat. Haven't tried it yet, But i suppose it'd be perfect for over brushing.
40k armies:

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rollplayinggamer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:13 am

I really need to paint more.

But anyways. I'll have another grey hunter done later tonight hopefully. But i'm doing more base coating with the new citadel medium base coat brush. And quite frankly it's terrible. The bristles on my brush can't stay together for more then 2-3 (strokes? i don't really know the right word. It's slipping my mind at the moment) Then the bristles split in two. I just got this brush 5 days ago. And it's already giving me problems.

Although, What is kinda neat. Is one side of the brush is flat. And one side is rounded. Making it easier to basecoat both round and flat surfaces. That's the only nice thing i've to say about it so far though.

(maybe mine was damaged during shipping? I noticed they don't come with a little plastic tube to protect them. Only the "artificer" has that. It's even a selling point "Supplied with a plastic tube to guard it against the elements when not in use," All brushes used to come with those :?)
40k armies:

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:42 pm

wow that sucks =/ I'd send it back as soon as possible. I have an older citadel one I use for basecoating and it's pretty well used... tip stays together well through two to three minis as long as I keep it cleaned. Maybe your's just needs some cleaning? although for them not to be shipped with a guard that's just wrong.... I won't buy any from art stores here that don't have them. Too many people handling them. And ignorant sales folk taking them off, I suspect.

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rollplayinggamer » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:42 am

Guildenstern wrote: Maybe your's just needs some cleaning?

I wish. I'm borderline OCD about cleaning my brushes. Every time i need more paint on the brush i go through the process of cleaning it. Maybe i clean my brush too much?

Anyways. I actually painted something!

First thing. Can i say how much i hate transfers? They're so finicky and fragile. You try to pick them up from the water and they tear up. You use an exacto knife and it collapses on itself and sticks together, And I'm no where near the skill level to actually paint a ragnar blackmane symbol. So it's either the transfer sheets or the space wolf upgrade kit. However, The upgrade kit came out AFTER i built all of my grey hunters.. So it's transfers for me ;_;

Another quick note. My non GW brush i was using for fine details finally became useless. 1 brush stroke and all of the bristles are separated. Although. For a 6$ brush it's lasted me 4 or 5 months of painting. Longer then any of my actual fine detail brushes of GW's. So that's why i couldn't paint the eyes.

On a happier conversion note. I'm starting to work on combi plasmas for my wolf guard terminators, This is because litereally 90% of the people in my local meta use terminators/TEQs. And i'm pretty much just going to spam plasma as much as i can.
40k armies:

Guildenstern

Re: RPG's #theweeklypaint 2015 (pic heavy)

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:00 pm

those are some cool looking guns - looks like a lot of neat details to paint on them

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rollplayinggamer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:40 am

Haven't done an update in awhile. On the 15th i got really sick and these past few days i've been getting back into the hobby more and more.

Working on a large self contained project as sort of a getting back into the hobby warm up. Then it's time to actually paint things. I unfortunately have to drop out of my painting challenge with Xaz. And i might have to drop out of the little but fierce brawl. As this is all i got done before i got sick.
I still need to redo the blue, Touch up on the metal and the eyes. And do another basecoat on the rim and the green armor. Although that's not too hard. So i might still enter in that.
40k armies:

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rollplayinggamer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:12 am

I'm finally painting again. As i finished working on my larger project modeling wise. However i ran out of primer right as i was getting ready to paint it. :| So i started working on some harlequin stuff and tried to practice dry brushing with my lictor

Sacrificed my lictor to the paint gods. For a +1 to dry brushing skills.

First basecoats on my harlequin shadowseers.
They won't be based. as it's a collaboration army with my friend. And he doesn't want any of his Harles based. So i won't base mine. Which i'm also responsible for painting the army. (Besides the little ruin thing they stand on)
40k armies: