LordMcAllister's Weekly Paint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Re: LordMcAllister's Weekly Paint 2015

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:33 pm

How.. How is it your unfinished minis look more realistic than my finished ones?

Amazement aside I am always impressed how realistic your clothing looks, and also how your choices of colours always seem to make your minis... Familiar, to me at least, like despite these being survivors I could swear I have seen wearing an outfit like that in those colours.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:28 pm

Thanks for all the compliments, I really appreciate it!

@Soria: I can't really take credit for making the colour combination of the clothes look like something real people would wear. I just stuck to the character cards pf the game. There are coloured comic pictures of each survivor on the corresponding card and I simply tried to copy the look. The creators of the game did a very good job! :)

Finished the survivor!

@Munin: this time I painted the surrounding of the eyes darker than the rest of the face, then applied the brown pupils and finally painted the eyeballs... I believe it's been a bit easier this way!

Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:33 pm

Like I've said on the pledge thread, with her wild eyes, it looks like she is going to murder something with utmost brutality. :D Awesome job on her! I'm particularly fan of her purple shirt and her leather jacket and pants.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:43 pm

I think it needs some work in the flesh tones. You could wash it in flesh shade, then built it back up.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Khankore
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Khankore » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:45 pm

Well done! I've enjoyed watching your progress through this model. I wish more folks would toss up their WIP's before the finished model - I find it fun to watch the progress since the model will drastically change session to session. That might just be me though :)

Starting my Infinity model tonight - haven't decided if I'm sticking with the box art colors or something different...maybe mostly box art with a little something here and there... Looking forward to seeing more from you!
Casey Stratton
http://miniaturemodelrescue.blogspot.com

Models: Too many
Painted: Not enough

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:15 am

Thanks for the kind words and the constructive critics! :)

@Dez & Sperian: You both are quite right about the face. Even though I used 3 different colours to define the face a bit more it didn't quite work out the way I wanted it to. There is a bit of depth around the mouth and the eyes (I tried to use Munins advice about painting the eye parts.. I used a darker skin colour compared to the rest and not black as he did, though) which can't really be seen in the picture... but it didn't come out the way I wanted it to. I tried to redo this part once but I started losing details so I stopped before it became one smooth surface (especially as it isn't my own mini). I'm not very happy about how it looks now... especially as I'm really pleased with the rest of the mini. *sigh* But I'll learn from my mistakes! :)

I've been working on my deathmatch mini (female infinity fusilier VS Khankore) and REALLY tried to do something new... some things/techniques I've never used/tried before... I'm not too sure if I like the state the mini is currently at but I'm really trying to go all out on this one. There is no other way in order to take on someone like Khankore in a Deathmatch! Even though I may utterly fail I will learn A LOT along the whole process... so in the end it will be my win, one way or another! :D
Painted in 2018:
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:04 pm

If I had an humble suggestion for you, I would paint her eyebrows. I think it make the face look more natural and feminine. I know you are an extremely skillful painter, so I know that you will paint proper thin feminine eyebrows. :)

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:12 am

Wow... those have been some crazy weeks at work, leaving me with no energy left to paint. But it's finally time to pick up the brush again and get things done!

@Kovlovsky: Sorry for my late answer! That's a good suggestion and I'll definitly try it out. Actually, Munin suggested something similar before and I somehow forgot to include this while painting the eyes. I chose not to use black as Munin suggested and instead go with a darker skin colour (imo not dark enough). While doing this in black would have eventually gotten me some nice eyebrows I totally forgot about those... good thing is, my friends mini is still at my place, he didn't get around picking it up yet. I might be doing it tonight! Pics of the result will follow.
Painted in 2018:

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:30 am

Np! Take your time. I'm just glad to give suggestions.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:10 am

Sooo... I've added eyebrows to the zombicide mini. What do you guys think about it?

I also progressed on my Infinity Fusilier. I got a lot of constructive, well meant, critics about my skinwork on the zombicide mini, which let me try a more radical approach with stronger shades. Still I feel like I really suck at skin parts, especially faces... Does it look any better?

Painted in 2018:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:07 pm

Your darkest tone might be a hair too much. It's hard to tell with the lighting a little dark, but her eyes are lined much better. I think she'll look better once her hair is done.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:20 pm

Some bases I bought arrived today. I really like them so I thought I'd share them with you guys:

I am going to use them for my infinity minis! :)
Painted in 2018:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:38 pm

Nice!

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:01 am

I finally got around painting the faces of my male PanO Fusiliers! I finally remembered to also do the eyebrows as suggested to me before! :D
Still a lot of work to do on the minis(only the pants are finished yet) but I'll call the faces done!

Fusilier Nr.1: (sorry, the 3rd picture is a bit blurry)
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
Fusilier Nr.2:
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
Painted in 2018: