Munin's #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Re: Munin's #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Munin » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:34 pm

Another Infinity mini finished, this time the Hunzakut Sniper:

His pose begged for something upon which to kneel. Fortunately, I had a ragged chunk of cork that exactly fit the bill.

Now, to work on my Ghulam infantry...

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:12 pm

The camouflage is A-MA-ZING!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:16 pm

Thanks!

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:08 pm

Memo to self: when I finally figure out how to acquire people's painting talents, acquire Munin's amazing camo painting abilities.

And holy crap those look tiny
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:48 am

Yeah, they are tiny. And extremely detailed. All the little straps and buckles and pouches and buttons. Yikes! And the "gems" in the comm sleeve on his right forearm (your can see them best in the first pic) are some of the smallest I've ever done.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:00 am

Progress. Slow but steady. Decided to go non-metallic for the guns for these guys.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:41 am

Good call on the non-metallic guns!

Love that khaki color.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:23 am

Yea, it was a good idea. Beside, the gun's appearance reminds me of an AK-74 and they are painted black like on your miniature.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:08 am

First set of vanilla Ghulams finished!
Angled for slightly better light (gods, I need to just make a light-box already...):
Rear view:
The guy in the middle is clearly supposed to be an homage to Solid Snake from the Metal Gear Solid games. Most of the time you see this mini painted, the headband is, well, a headband. But I figured having only one eye and wanting to get into knife-fights means you get cut. Hence the bandage. :) I tried to get the effect of old, crusted blood soaked through several layers of bandage:

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:36 am

Very nice, I also like your idea with the pen.

Khankore
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Khankore » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:40 am

Very nice! I love when someone's detailed painted minis temptl me to start a game I have never played before.
Casey Stratton
http://miniaturemodelrescue.blogspot.com

Models: Too many
Painted: Not enough

Dez

Post by Dez » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:13 pm

Exactly. I have no urge to play (though I've read the rules).

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:03 pm

Hahaha, well, I'm just passing the buck in this regard, because it was Epic Duck Mike's minis that pushed me over the edge to check out Infinity in the first place.

That said, I'm glad I did. The game is so much more dynamic and the rules are so much more tightly-written than 40K. The company supports the community much better, the sculpts are gorgeous, and the game is a ton of fun.

I also think the challenge of painting stuff in 32mm true scale has made me a better painter, because I am much more conscious of detail and color transition and texture. The Aetherium minis I've been working on have helped in that regard as well. 40K has a very cartoony feel to it, both in the proportions of the minis and the color themes it encourages, and it's easy to "get away with" a cartoony approach to painting. More realistic proportions make me want to add more realism to the minis, hence the little details like wear patterns on denim or flecktarn or brand-name sneakers, or smoother color transitions in my blends, or the use of non-metallic colors on weapons. I've experimented with a bunch of stuff and feel like my skills have improved a lot.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:57 pm

Some explanation of this:
Munin wrote:I pledge to learn how to use a laser cutter!
Right, so there's a place here in town called "Maker Works." It's a communal shop-space that has all sorts of equipment - fully-stocked wood shop, metal fabrication space, MIG/TIG welders, plasma cutter, commercial sewing and/or embroidery machines, 3D printer, etc. It also has two Epilog laser cutters (50W CO2 lasers). The space is open to members, who can schedule time on the various equipment.

Much of the equipment (especially the crazy stuff like the heavy milling machines and plasma cutter, or more technical stuff like the laser cutter) requires a "check-out" class to train you how to use the equipment safely (and without breaking it). Last night, I got checked out on the Epilog laser cutters, which was pretty interesting. So now I'll be able to design and cut my own MDF stuff for tabletop terrain. I'm pretty stoked!

Once I've had a chance to work on some designs, expect posts in the Wargames Terrain section of the forums!