Munin's #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Re: Munin's #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Munin » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:07 am

Still cracking away on the Aetherium minis. Finished basing the first one. After discussing it with the guy pointing the Axiom dudes, I decided to make it look like these ones are on a city street. Hence, stained concrete and painted traffic lines:

I also started working on the next two Riot Grlz. Barring the dented bat, this one is done from the midriff down:

For the other one, I wanted to do something cool with her fatigue pants, so I decided to go crazy:

My harsh light makes the photo a little washed out, but the pattern here will be recognizable to any of our German friends (looking at YOU, Lord McAllister :wink: ). It is "Flecktarn," a pattern of camouflage used by the Bundeswehr. Fortunately, I had some lying around to use as inspiration:

And because I'm a crazy person, I thought her boots were a little tall to be ordinary combat boots. They looked more like Doc Martens to me. And what is the defining feature of Doc Martens? Yup, the yellow stitching affixing the sole to the upper. So I added that too, best seen here:

Not sure how I'm going to handle her shirt yet. It's actually a couple of layers, so there potential there for a couple of interesting effects. I also feel like her pistol should be shiny and chrome, but time will tell.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:10 am

yikes, lots o' dots. Nice work.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:11 am

Using the german patterns of camouflage was an awesome idea. I always loved them and I think you made an outstanding job at painting it.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:05 pm

that is amazing awesome execution love the boots and the camo!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:32 pm

Wow... Those pants somehow look effortless and ridiculously difficult to do at the same time.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:20 am

I just painted a Bolt Action army in that scheme ;)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:38 am

You know, I just played my first game of Bolt Action this past weekend. What a fun game! I am resisting buying the rulebook, though, because picking up a whole new game with another era of historical minis to buy and paint is the LAST thing I need. :)

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:53 am

I haven't tried it yet but it looks cool. I read the rulebook. Now that I got rid of all my Flames of War stuff...my gaming group is asking about it again. Been thinking of starting Hell on Wheels via the Plastic Soldier Company ;)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:22 pm

I liked that it played pretty quickly. I also liked the unit activation system, which breaks the IGOUGO cycle common to games like 40K. It's not quite as interactive as Infinity, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:08 am

And speaking of Infinity, I've been working on my Haqqislam forces, starting with a Hunzakut Sniper and a Ghulam Infantry. The Hunzakut:

And the Ghulam:

A better view of his face:

Per my pledge this week, I also finished another of the "Riot Grlz" for the Aetherium Nanomei forces:

Because Aetherium is a game played on a grid, I decided to make the pattern of the bases continue from one mini to another, just for grins:

As soon as I finish the woman with the camo pants, I'll have my first complete unit. Then I think I'll do an Avatar, probably The Masque. I also have The White Rabbit, but she's super small and has super delicate fiddly bits to assemble, so I might save her until I get more of this 32mm true scale junk under my belt.

Dez

Post by Dez » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:01 am

Those riot girls are cool!

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:10 am

I can not tell those were at one point bare plastic. That is awesome.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:15 pm

Thanks! Yeah, I've been having fun with them. They're certainly different from the standard 40K stuff I've been doing for years.

And good criminy but the detail on those Infinity minis is outrageous! I had to be careful cleaning them because I kept seeing stuff that looked like it might be the barest hint of flash or mold lines, only to take a closer look and say, "No, no, that's the light catching one side of a tiny groove in his uniform. That's actually SUPPOSED to be there." Eventually I got to the point where I just set my files and X-Acto knives down and primed the things. Crazy talk, I know.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:25 am

Finished the last Riot Girl:
The whole unit:

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:52 am

Whoa...those look amazing. Remind of those.expensive fairy models you can get at book stores and educational toy stores, the detail you have achieved is amazing.