Munin's #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Munin's #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:01 pm

Wow, it seems like an awesome place for bricoleurs!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:21 am

Sounds like a fun place to play with tools :)

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:10 am

That's awesome Munin! I've heard of places like that but never seen one myself - sounds like a blast! Can't wait to see what you come up with =D
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:35 pm

Now that Corvus Belli's new Naffatun box-set is out (and totaly gorgeous!), the older Naffatun sculpt in the Haqqislam starter box looks pretty...meh. In particular, I hate her helmet. Because of this, I decided to convert her with both a head swap and a weapon mod, in this case a Ghulam with Rifle+LGL (for which there is no currently available sculpt). A friend had a spare Spec-Ops Indigo Bipandra whose head was perfect. Let the decapitation commence!

I had to carve off the flamethrower bits, as well as the fuel line from her backpack that snaked all the way around to her gun. But the hardest part was carving off the original mini's crazy ponytail. All in all, I'm pretty happy with how she came out. I think once she's primed and painted, it'll be hard to tell she's converted (which is sort of the point).

Khankore
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Khankore » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:44 pm

That looks cool! I just ordered the Operation Icestorm Starter set, so I'll be painting some Infinity models soon!
Casey Stratton
http://miniaturemodelrescue.blogspot.com

Models: Too many
Painted: Not enough

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:47 pm

Sweet! You're an awesome painter, I can't wait to see what you do with the Infinity stuff.

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:35 am

Looks good. Would never know it is a conversion.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:36 am

As I don't know the original mini, it would have been cool to see a ,,before" and ,,after" image of your conversion. Looks pretty neat, though. As Nappen said, I would never guess this to be a conversion! I'll soon start painting my operation icestorm panoceania part as well!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Khankore
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Khankore » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:04 am

Munin! My Icestorm box came in the mail today!!! Yaaaaaa! The detail on these things is insane. Give me some tips on priming these bad boys (girls)
Casey Stratton

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:37 am

OK, one of the things that I had to get used to: I am an old-school guy who has lots of experience working with metal minis. I was used to having to trim flash and fix mold lines and whatnot. The Infinity minis are SUPER detailed, and many of them have tiny grooves or seams in their uniforms that (in bare-metal form) catch light just like flash. So I often found myself, fine file poised in hand about to start "cleaning," only to realize that the "flash" was actually an intentional feature. As such, I had to actively restrain myself from inadvertently destroying detail in a couple of cases. Ultimately, I just primed them first, then looked for any flash. Spoiler: there was almost none. The casts are fantastic.

In terms of priming, just give them a rinse in soapy water to pull off any mold release like you would with plastics, then hit them with whatever spray primer you prefer. I'm a cheap bastard, so I use Rustoleum gray in a rattle-can. It works great, and all the minis I've posted in this thread were primed that way. Easy-peasy.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:38 am

Speaking of which, I need to go flip my conversion lass over and prime her other side. To the Man-Cave!

Khankore
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Khankore » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:51 pm

Thanks! I'm going to assemble one of them today (just one for now - I don't want to get distracted too much from finishing the Darkriders) and follow your advise.
Casey Stratton

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:00 pm

I'm not dead, I've just been super busy of late. I hope to get back to painting in the near future. I've got a bunch of stuff half-done that I'd really like to get finished and off my table (and in play!) My gaming group has pretty much jumped over to Infinity with both feet, and everyone's in the process of acquiring and painting minis, so far with great results! One friend's Morats are freaking sweet and another friend is going Caledonian - his tartan patterns are SICK! I definitely need to up my game. :)

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:08 pm

can't wait to see some updates!

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:17 am

OK, time for some updates. In preparation for tomorrow's tournament, I needed to finish some stuff. I think I was trying to paint too much stuff at once (trying to batch things wherever possible), so I actually only finished two minis. But I got a ton of stuff accomplished in terms of prep work for the stuff I didn't finish that I'm pretty happy with my progress so far.

Of the two minis I did completely finish, one is my converted Ghulam with light grenade launcher:
I'm really happy with the way she turned out. I was super-stoked that the teeny-weeny Haqqislam symbol on her beret came out well.

The other mini I finished was my HVT (High Value Target), a mini that gets used in ITS as a potential objective for your opponent. This one is "Fusilier Angus" from the Dire Foes pack, the same one that came with the SpecOps mini I decapitated for the conversion above.
Here again, the Haqqislam insignia on the beret worked.
My favorite part of this one is the smarmy mustache. He just looks like someone you want to shoot.

Hopefully I'll remember to take some photos of all these minis in action at the tourney tomorrow. Wish me luck!