Munin's #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Munin's #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Munin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:54 am

Hey all. I figured that I might as well start a thread, if for no other reason than to give me motivation to actually finish some stuff.

Currently, I'm working on my Necrons. Specifically, I'm chipping away at a Triarch Stalker, the legs of which were my pledge last week. I've got them finished and attached to the main chassis:

Top view:

I am still working on the pilot and cockpit assembly. It is base coated and is almost ready for edging (the most time-consuming part of the process). The weapons mount has been magnetized such that I can swap out for any of the three weapons configurations (one of which you can see started in the next photo).

In addition, I decided to assemble some Deathmarks. Those I have base coated:
It's hard to tell because my insufficient lighting and crappy camera tend to wash out the colors, but this is actually the result of the first 4 steps - blacking, a heavy drybrush with "Warplock Bronze" (formerly Tin Bitz), a medium drybrush with a nice mid-tone gold color (my own mix, made to match the old Ral Partha Burnished Brass), and a wash of Chestnut Ink (for which I have no idea of the new color name). It makes for a nice, deep, rich brass color.

Ultimately, the Deathmarks will match the rest of my army, which looks like this:

Unlike the rest of my Necron infantry, I think I'm going to keep parts of his back, thigh, and calf plating black, because I like the look of that on the ones in the Codex. I'll try it and see how it turns out.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Munin's #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Dez » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:34 pm

Looks good, welcome to the weekly paint!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:36 pm

Thanks!

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Thalric » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:53 pm

I really like the Stalker. You did really neat work on the red highlights! I am looking forward to the finished model :)

And as someone who is new here as well, welcome to the weekly paint!

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:06 pm

Lovely work! I don't see many bronze necorns, it looks amazing!
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:47 pm

Lady_Soria wrote:I don't see many bronze necorns, it looks amazing!
And therein lies the saga of my undoing...

My other army is Imperial Gua...er, I mean "Astra Militarum." And one of the neatest things about that army is that you can go nuts with your camouflage scheme. I like the look of the Tallarns, but like an idiot I decided to go with a desert tiger-stripe theme. Like so:Image

Here's another, with a couple of them converted in various ways.

I really like the way they turned out, but they take half of forever to paint. So when it came time to start another army, I was like, "Nuts to this, I want something that's easy to paint." And what could be easier to paint than Necrons?

But then when I started looking at them and I thought to myself, "But everybody's got green gauss rods, I want to do something different! I know, I'll go with RED!" Plastruct makes the red rod in the right diameter, but it's not quite the right color (it's more magenta). So in addition to it needing to be cut and filed to length, it also needs a couple of coats of red ink. Between that and the multiple coats of drybrushing and inking on the infantry and all the infernal lining on the vehicles, my "quick to paint" army takes almost as long as my Guard.

Sigh.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:46 pm

OK, prototype Deathmark done:Image

Rear view:Image

As comparison against an Immortal (these use basically the same body parts).Image

I think it matches the theme pretty well, but the black carapace gives it some distinction such that it is obviously different. The only thing I'm not as happy about is the barrel of the rifle. While I like the red-and-black combo, I can still see red on the internal edges of the part that's black, which bugs me. But getting in there without screwing up and getting black down into the bottom of the red groove is really tricky. Plus also, from table distance you can't really tell, so maybe I'll relax and quit worrying about it.

Now I just have to paint the rest of them to match.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:30 pm

I really like the painting scheme! The black stands out while fitting into the overall theme! Well done!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:32 pm

I aggree with all my heart. It's probably the best necron painting scheme I've seen since they released their first codex (3rd edition). :)
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks!

I also got a chance to work on my Triarch Stalker a little bit more. I finished blacking in the Heat Ray (I already finished the Particle Destructor).

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:09 pm

Welcome to the painting thread.

Imperial Guard and Necrons look great. The Stalker looks awesome and as someone mentioned you clearly have a steady hand and can do neat painting and good edging highlight.

As far as comments go to get you up to that next level, I feel something needs to happen with the red parts of your Necrons. The red looks flat and looks like just one base colour. Since it is a rather bright red I think a highlight is out of the question. Therefore my suggestion is to try a wash (red or blue) to dull down where the red would be darker such around the rims of the big circle thing on the stalker, the end parts of the cords on the necron guns. That way it just adds a bit of depth to the areas and the look that the middle is glowing the brightest or hottest.
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:50 am

I'm loving that Deathmark scheme. I see where Farseer Oz is coming from, but I think you could add a glow effect. Just mix some white into the red, go gradually and paint it on thin.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:30 am

Damn, I'm loving that scheme on the Deathmarks. I'm with Farseer Oz regarding the red though, it needs to pop just a little more somehow :)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:32 am

Yeah, the flatness of the color is actually my camera screwing me here. I don't know whether it's a white-balance issue or a problem of insufficient lighting, but the depth of color close up for both the brass and the red is much richer than what shows up on camera.

So for the red orb in the middle of the Stalker, it's actually the following process - black, over which red gore is painted. After this, the following layers are applied, blending the color up, with each highlight covering less area: 50-50 red gore/evil sunz scarlet, straight evil sunz scarlet, 50-50 evil sunz scarlet and orange, straight orange, 50-50 orange and yellow, straight yellow, very thin white. Once all of this is done, I go back and wash it with a glaze of 50-50 evil-sunz scarlet and red ink. This gives a deep, dark red at the edges, blending up to a bright red with undertones of orange at the center.

FWIW, I did the same treatment in miniature to the little scope orbs on the top of the Deathmark's rifle, as well as the orbs that protrude from the carapace on his back.

Here's an example where it may show up a little bit better:Image
The orb at the front of the Annihilation Barge shows it (and it has another one of those central orbs like the Stalker, but it's sort of hidden under the Tesla Destructor), but again the photos kind of wash out the variation. I'm not sure how to light it such that the true color variation actually shows up. I think I need to make myself a light box and fashion some diffusers.

On the cables, though, you're absolutely right - those tend to be a single color and look kind of flat. I experimented with putting some of the same glow variation into the cables (most recently with the cables on the underside of the legs of the Stalker), but I've never really been happy with how it turned out. It always looked too orange, especially when it was done in close proximity to one of the red gauss rods, which have a nice, deep, translucent crimson color. I should mess around with that some more. Of course if I settle on a scheme I like, I'll have to go back and re-do all the cables for my entire army. :(

The picture of the Annihilation Barge does illustrate one of the things that makes the lining so time-consuming, however, and that's the extra transition layer. You have to look closely, but there's a second color in there between the red and the black. It's 2 parts black to 1 part red gore, laid down in a thin glaze about 2mm wide near the edge. You don't really see the transition from the black unless you look really closely, but it serves to help "build" the color transition to the edge. When I first started doing these vehicles I tried it both ways (red edge over the black both with and without the transition layer between) and I liked it much better with the transition layer. If you look closely at the green ones in the various Necron codices, they do the same thing with a very dark green.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:39 am

The variation is much more noticable on that orb :D And I know well the paint of that second, almost-imperceptible transition... I have some orange-edged Dark Eldar, and there's a transition of nearly-black brown between the black and orange... and in some cases, a super-edge highlight of yellow.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.