Thalric's Weekly Paint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Thalric's Weekly Paint 2015

Post by Thalric » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:20 pm

Thank you!

I finished building and magnetizing the Kastelans:

The pictures came out blurry and I didn't notice it until now, but they should do. First picture is with Power Fists and Flamers, the second with double Phosphor. Third one shows just the Phosphor weapons. Magnetizing them was pretty easy as there was no drilling needed. The twin-linked Phosphor weapons took a bit of preperation, but nothing too serious.
It will probably be a while until I get around to painting them though. My fingers are itching to paint my Ruststalkers soon, so they are first in line after the Gants and Rhino.

I have started to work on 10 more Gants and want to finish all 30 with Spinefists before starting on the Ruststalkers.

I am still not sure if I should go to the Spiel this week. ForgeWorld will be there so I might avoid shipping costs, but I don't know if they'll have everything in stock that I might want to buy ^^.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:48 pm

Go to Spiel, they'll have everything or mail it to you free (granted it's like Games Day). Just get there early :)

Also if you go and pick me up the Event Only Iron Warriors mini, I'd happily reimburse!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:08 pm

You're a lucky one Thalric having access to FW directly. If I could, I would buy the even only Alpha Legion guy. But, I won't go to Europe just for that. :P Beside, my German is really basic and half forgotten.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Thalric » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:22 am

Unfortunately I didn't go to the Spiel after all. I had to work the first two days of the convention and had no time to go after that. It is probably for best ^^ At least for my wallet. Maybe it will work out next year.

I am almost done with the next 10 Termagants. I just need to finish the bases, which I should be able to tonight.
I also basecoated the Rhino yesterday and I am looking forwar to a bit of variety from the Termagant monotony ^^ I am still motivated to get the whole unit done, but a small break is nice.

Since I haven't seen it here yet, is anyone painting/playing Tau? I just love the new models, especially the Ghostkeel battlesuit. I always liked Tau and only did not play them, because my brother already is. But my resolve is already dwindling again, because of those new models :P

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Thalric » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:18 pm

And hello once more :)

I have finished the next 10 Termagants, so there are only 10 more left in this unit.

10 new ones

All 20

I am really happy with how they look painted as a unit and I think they will look very nice once I get the chance to play my Tyranids again. Hopefully I'll have the whole unit finished by then.
But before I can tackle the last models, I'll do my entry for the Big Brawl and challenge this month, namely a Rhino for my Grey Knights and an AdMech Ruststalker Alpha. I had planned on doing the Ruststalkers soon anyways, so I am just doing the Alpha a bit early :D

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:18 pm

sweet can't wait to see both the ruststalker and your rhino

those termagants look great! really cohesive

I love the new Tau units - they're not really to my taste overall, but the new models are sweet
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Thalric » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:47 am

Thanks!

I am focussing on the Rhino at the moment and it is progressing nicely.
I am having a little problem painting the white parts. I have not painted white very much, but I usually have problems with it. I tried mixing in a little bit of gray to get smoother coats. That helps a little bit, but I think I am still missing something important.
Is there another trick to painting white areas?

As for Tau, I am not a big fan of the Kroot, but aside from them I really like the overall look of the army. The stand and shoot game does not appeal to me as much, but perhaps they will get a bit more mobility with the new codex.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:54 pm

When painting white I do one of two things: first, if it's a small area, I'll paint it with a light grey first (something like...um...Fortress Grey I think it was? I forget the new names). It coats much better than white. Once that is dry, go over it with white. That should give you the look I think you'll want.

If it's a larger area, just cut to the chase and do it with an airbrush. It's faster and easier to apply several thin coats with an airbrush to get the kind of coverage you'll want on a larger surface (like a vehicle).

And obviously, it helps if you've primed the mini white to start with! :)

But white is a pain to work with, no question. I painted some White Scars as a commission once, and I vowed never to do it again.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:59 pm

Haven't done a lot of white, but since I usually prime black as well, anywhere I want to put white down, I will start with a layer off ecru or offwhite, or even something like a tan khaki. I actually don't often use pure white, but stay with the offwhite as the pure white to me just seems too stark and unnatural (maybe the scale? not sure) Other than that, I just try to do thin thin coats, to get a better coverage. It's a real pita!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Thalric » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:08 am

Thanks for the tips! I think I'll try Ulthuan Grey.
An Airbrush is not an option unfortunately. I don't have one and I don't think I have the space to get and use one.

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Thalric » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:36 pm

I finished the Rhino yesterday but had to wait to take pictures until today, to get better light. It was still cloudy outside, but I think it is still a lot better than the alternative :)
I tried real weathering on the model for the first time, specifically a rusty and battleworn look. Am I the only one who dies a little inside when you have finished the model and it looks pretty good and then you go an make it look dirty and grimy? :D I was pretty scared that I would ruin the model in the process but in the end I am happy with the result. What do you think?

After the first layer it look pretty bad, but once I got the rust look going, it came out pretty good in my opinion :)
I also tried OSL for the first time. That did not turn out as good as I had hoped, but for my first try it looks okay I think.
Some more pictures front and top-down:

I hope you like how it turned out! I had a lot of fun painting it and it was nice to do something Grey Knight related for a change.
Now I really need to work on my Ruststalker Alpha to get him done before the challenge deadline. Wish me luck ^^
Last edited by Thalric on Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm

Yea, your weathering is pretty great.

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Thalric » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:50 am

Thank you!

I actually managed to play a game of 40k yesterday for a change. 1850 points of Grey Knights against Dark Angels. It was a really fun and close match and I was happy to finally get to play a game again, since the last time was before I moved. I forgot to take some pictures unfortunately :/

In other news, my Ruststalker Alpha for the challenge between afioretti, Dez and I is done. The design of those models is really amazing and it was a ton of fun to paint it. I am really looking forward to getting the rest of the unit done.
Here are a few pictures of the model:

I hope you all like it :)

Next up are some more Termagants to finish up the unit I have been working on.
Last edited by Thalric on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:06 pm

Yea, it's an awesome paint job. I love the base and the royal blue. Your painting is very crisp.

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2015”