Thalric's Weekly Paint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Thalric's Weekly Paint 2015

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:47 pm

Hello back! Just so you know, I had a motivationnal low during about 8 years, so I will easily understand how you were unmotivated for a few months. :)
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:37 am

Good to see you back again! :)
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 1 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 2 Primaris Intercessor

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:01 am

Welcome back!
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Thalric » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:46 am

Thank you for the warm welcome back!

My work area is finally back up, so I should be able to paint something this weekend :)
I also just found out, that a Blood Bowl League will start in a bit over a month in my city. As I mentioned I played the Cyanide game in different leagues for years and I always wanted to make the transition to the actual tabletop game. So now I am thinking about getting a team and joining the league.
The models would most likely be metal and I have never painted a metal model. I assume it is different from plastic or resin. Am I right about that? If yes, can you give me some tips regarding painting medal models?

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:44 pm

Blood Bowl is hilarious and awesome!

Aside from the difficulties with conversion, I think the only trick with metal models really only applies if they are multi-part models, and that's that sometimes you need to pin things. Most Blood Bowl minis (aside from Big Guys) are one piece though, so that shouldn't be an issue. Trimming flash and mold lines is a little harder, but with a good set of files and an X-Acto knife (or equivalent) you'll be fine.

After painting, you'll want to seal them well. Being heavier, metal models that get knocked over or banged together are more likely to chip. I recommend a coat of gloss sealer (because it's usually a litle bit thicker and more durable) followed by Testor's DullCoat. There's no difficulty applying matte over gloss, and it protects your models very well.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:49 pm

I'd also recommend converting your team out of plastic. I have an Orc team I made that way, and it was pretty easy. I have a Mordheim band I did the same way, using the Black Orc rules.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Thalric » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:07 am

Thanks for your advice!
I would not need to convert the models, I found a team that I really like, so rather I don't want to convert other models ^^
Unfortunately contact with the league operator has been a bit complicated so I am still not sure if I would be allowed to play the team I would want to play. Since Slann aren't part of the official teams, they might not be allowed. If they are not I'll most likely look for an (Pro-)Elf team.
But including ordering and shipping will most likely not leave me enough time to get them painted. Most likely I'll skip the first season and join next year. That way I don't have to rush myself.

I did some painting in the last days. Nothing major, just a little bit of work on the Termagant for my challenge to get back into it. I will start working on the Tech-Priest this evening or tomorrow.

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Thalric » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:27 pm

It took a lot longer than expected, but I finally finished my Tech-Priest Dominus.

First pictures taken in the new apartment. Still need to figure out better lighting.
I am also making good progress on 5 Termagants for my challenge this month.

I am slowly getting back into it :)

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:50 pm

I love it. The blue is bright but not overwhelming or out if place. Well done. :)
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:39 pm

Nicely weathered!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Thalric » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:34 am

Thank you both :D
I am happy how the model turned out, which boosts my motivation.

Luckily I can't complain about not having enough variety. I want to do something Grey Knight related soon. Probably a Rhino, but I somehow lost my tank brush in the move and need to get a new one first.
I used a Citadel one before, but it does not exist in their new range of brushes anymore.
Can you perhaps recommend an alternative? Would the large drybrush be an option perhaps?

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Thalric » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:57 am

Thanks!

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:21 pm

that is really really nice! very well done

also, what's a tank brush? I'd assume you just mean a large brush for the larger surface areas but maybe not lol
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:51 pm

I believe it's a large flat brush

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2015”