Thalric's Weekly Paint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Thalric's Weekly Paint 2015

Post by Thalric » Sun May 31, 2015 4:51 pm

Thank you! I am looking forward to seeing your colour scheme! Are you working on it already? :)

I am still painting the Vanguard Squad. I finished 2 with Arc Rifles today, but I could not take any photos yet. Now only the Alpha and to with Plasma remain.
After that I am starting my Termagantathon. Anyone want to bet how many I can motivate myself to paint in a row before I need to paint something else? :D

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Thalric » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:05 am

Thanks for the info! :D

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Thalric » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Hi guys,

I wanted to show you the 2 Vanguards with Arc Rifles.

I am thinking about removing the white stripes on the coat of my Vanguards models. I like the idea but I am just terrible with the free hand :/ I can't get the line even.
Sadly, I couldn't motivate myself to paint much in the last few days. I am working on the 2 models with the Plasma Caliver and they are coming along. Hopefully they'll be finished tomorrow.

In other news, I went to my second tournament today, again with Grey Knights. It was 3 matches and I lost all three. My inexperience in the tournament scene combined with the absence of knowledge of the armies I was playing against was pretty brutal.
First match was against a Sororitas list. Melta, melta, Flamer, Flamer, Melta, melta, Flamer. Did I mention Melta and Flamer? Oh yeah and 9 vehicles. I got tabled by turn 3, but my opponent was very nice so no problem.
Second match was against Dark Angels Bikers with an Imperial Knight ally. That I lost by a close margin. Highlight of the match was his Knight killing my Dreadknight (with Invisibility cast upon) with a 6 on a stomp. That was unexpected :D But again a very nice opponent and the match was overall very enjoyable.
I went into the tournament, hoping that I would not have to face Necrons but they got me in the last match (You might remember that in my first tournament 4/5 matches were against them). I can only say again, that my opponent was very nice, but man do I hate playing against Necrons.
I had horrible dice rolls and he steamrolled me with his Phantoms. I managed to take out the Spider of his Canoptek Harvest in turn one (luky shot with an activated Psilencer), but it was very much downhill from that point on. A lot of ones on my part and sixes for his rending rolls killed of my Terminators and Dreadknights in short order so that in the end I got tabled by turn 4.

I'll take it as a learning experience. I played against a few new things and learned a lot. Our current meta seems to be pretty brutal and Grey Knights do have a tough standing.
I really need to get more Grey Knights and Skitarii painted up so that I can try out new lists.

Any tips would be appreciated ;)

Brookgrim
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Brookgrim » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:20 pm

I love the paint scheme and the colors on the arc rifle! The white stripes on the robe would look amazing if you cleaned them up, I'm sure you can do it with some time and patience. Add some depth in the robes with shading/highlights and it would just be inrecidble! Really good work, can't wait to see more models from you!

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Thalric » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

I have the next 2 Vanguard models. I really like the look of the Plasma Caliver.

I did not do the white stripe this time. I need to practice more on that and I also like the way the coat looks now. I also tried the wetblend. The results aren't as visible as I hoped, but I never really tried it before, so I have a lot to learn.

I'll most likely redo the coats of the other Vanguard models, to match these new ones.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:53 pm

those look really good either way

If you really want the edge stripe for now maybe you could do more like an edge highlight? just run your brush on the edge to give a little colour and possibly keep it straighter? anyway that's what I'd do, myself but just a thought =D
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Thalric » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:05 pm

Thanks!

I did a highlight on the edge, but it is not very visible in the pictures unfortunately. Or do you mean I should make the highlight wider?
I have never used masking tape before. I need to look into that :)

Thank you both for the feedback!
The alpha is coming along as well. I am almost done with the brass/copper parts. After that its just the coat and lots of small parts.

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Thalric » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:39 pm

Heyho,

so I finally finished the Vanguards Squad. I repainted the cloaks on the previously finished models to remove the white stripe. I might try it again in the future, but at the moment I am happier without it.

The first 5 (Alpha, 2 Arc Rifles, 2 Plasma Calivers):

And the other 5 (1 Omnispex):

I magnetized the Alpha, so that I could switch out the weapons. Here are a few pictures of all the options:

I got a little more practise in wet blending and it is getting better, but it is still not as smooth as it could be. But I am learning and that is all that counts :D

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:45 pm

Seriously, your guys are awesome! Seriously, your bases are very impressive. It's the look of the dry dirt that impresses me so much. It really look like a real dried lake of a now arid area.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:17 pm

MORE MORE! I love seeing painted Skitarii stuff, it makes me feel less bad that I haven't completed any of my own yet :)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Thalric
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Thalric » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:16 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback! I am happy you like them :)
I am starting on the Tech-Priest Dominus for my challenge this month, so one more AdMech model to come :D

The base is really simple but I too like the result. I paint the base in Pallid Wych Flesh, after that I use Martian Ironearth and then drybrushing Pallid Wych Flesh again.

Edit: Oh yeah and of course I'll clean up the blue spots on the bases. I just wanted to take the pictures while the light was still good.