Khankore #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Khankore
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Khankore #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by Khankore » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:35 am

Hello all,
I'm very new to the Fantasy World, but have been painting miniatures for a couple years now. I'm pledging to paint my entire 2500 point army for a league in which I'm a participant. As such, to keep me motivated I've created a Blog to record my progress and to narrate what I'm learning along the way. If you're interested then join me. I'll also post back here with my progress and updates.

http://www.miniaturemodelrepair.com

This is a great community and I'm pleased to be a member. Thanks again!

Casey
Last edited by Khankore on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Casey Stratton
http://miniaturemodelrescue.blogspot.com

Models: Too many
Painted: Not enough

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: Skaven - From Sprue to Finished - 2500 Points

Post by TigerDave » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:34 pm

That is some Skaven-y goodness there!! I love the colors - nice contrast, and excellent details! Almost makes me want to hang up my brushes and become an accountant.

Almost.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Very nice!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:02 pm

Welcome to The Weekly Paint! That's one great looking Skaven, looking forward to seeing more :)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:22 pm

Lovely Skaven, there's almost a comic book feel to me, which I like.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:25 pm

OMG more rats, there is definitely a plague in this forum.

Nice looking model and I like your painting skills, if your whole 2.5k army is going to look like this then it is going to look really sweet.
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

Khankore
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Khankore » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:12 pm

Lady_Soria wrote:Lovely Skaven, there's almost a comic book feel to me, which I like.
Thanks everyone, for your kind comments. I'll start a proper #theweeklypaint post when I have something done. Lady Soria, that's exactly what I go for in painting. I don't really like realism and tend to paint in the over the top style. Not as cool looking finished product as most of the gifted artists on this forum present, but it pleases me and that's what counts! hehe.

Casey.
Casey Stratton

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:19 pm

Khankore wrote:
Lady_Soria wrote:Lovely Skaven, there's almost a comic book feel to me, which I like.
Thanks everyone, for your kind comments. I'll start a proper #theweeklypaint post when I have something done. Lady Soria, that's exactly what I go for in painting. I don't really like realism and tend to paint in the over the top style. Not as cool looking finished product as most of the gifted artists on this forum present, but it pleases me and that's what counts! hehe.

Casey.
You paint extremely well, your style is simply different. You should be proud of yourself. :)
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:10 pm

The wood is most impressive. Really like the feel and color scheme.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:44 pm

What they all said ^_^

Love the ratty goodness!!

Year of the RAT Yay 8)
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Khankore
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Khankore » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:43 am

So we start - 18 Clan Rats and 2 Herders. Base coat started and off to the races...well, off to bed actually.

Casey Stratton

Dodenborg
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Dodenborg » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:38 pm

nicely painted, first pic came in whit a bang.

looking forward to see more of your rats, preparing for war
mere puppets we are, with imagination as our liberator

Khankore
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Khankore » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:28 pm

Okay, so I've finished base coating the rats and have the first wash applied. Should be finished by tomorrow night...Saturday at the latest.

So I posted on my Blog about this topic and the trouble I'm having, and maybe you folks can shed some light. I made a light box (using a tutorial from this very site) and promptly started shooting. I'm very disappointed with the results. They seem very faded and washed. Any suggestions? Here's some of the pics I took. (Also, the above pic was taken with my cell phone, which I'm happier with)

Thanks in advance!
Casey Stratton

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:40 pm

Looking great! Honestly, the first photo of the lightbox, from farther away, looks fine. The two closer photos are definitely overexposed - try just turning down your exposure to -1 or -2 (even most cellphone cameras can do this)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:45 pm

Great work.

What are you going to do about the bases? Do you have a theme in mind?

Personally I think the base probably adds about 30% more awesome factor to a nicely painted miniature.
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted