TheHoundmaster's #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
TheHoundmaster
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: TheHoundmaster's #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by TheHoundmaster » Wed May 20, 2015 3:40 pm

I'm glad it has found a good home. One of these days I'll have to meet up again and have a game on it with all your beautiful terrain and Skaven.
The Warhammer Fantasy Guy!

TheHoundmaster
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by TheHoundmaster » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:50 pm

So I'm moving in the middle of July in Texas -again- (what is wrong with me?) so all my Warhammer goodies are packed up. With moving comes all the additional costs (overlapping rents, deposits, boxes, etc) so I haven't been able to jump on all the awesome Dark Angels and Fantasy models that have been coming out. While everyone is stocking up on 8th edition Fantasy models I'm stuck with nothing. Speaking of Fantasy models lets talk....

My opinion is by no means original, nor is my situation so if you want to just move along feel free. I'm going to break down my thoughts on a few of the latest happening in Warhammer Fantasy.

Part 1: The End Times. I was worried when The End Times started. My first concern was scale. Models were getting bigger and bigger. In Warhammer Fantasy seeing a big model on the table was a sign that the model was the most important (or one of the most important) model on the table. If you saw Karl Franz on Deathclaw, an Arachnarok Spider, or a Carnosaur you knew what to target and destroy. The End Times saw the addition of the three new Khorne Bloodthirsters, The Glottkin and the three other versions in the kit, Nagash, the Verminlord and named Verminlord, the Mortarchs, and Thanquol and Boneripper. Additionally the other units added (which I won't list here) are also quite large. I understand GW's desire to move away from a large model count, but I don't think the answer is necessarily large models. Unfortunately the new Age of Sigmar box continues the theme. The Stormcast Eternals are -huge- compared to regular humans. The Chaos units fit into an existing Chaos force extremely well. They look right, they scale right. Seeing Stormcast Eternals in an army with Empire troops would stick out like a sore thumb.

Now lets talk about the biggest slap in the face I have ever experienced from a company (let alone a hobby company). They destroyed The Old World. This setting has been around since 1983. NINETEEN EIGHTY THREE. Its what they founded the company on. Its what spawned 40k. This is the whole reason I got into Warhammer Fantasy to begin with. The Old World was an interesting and rich place. Holy Roman/German Empire, Egyption Tomb Kings, Gothic Vampires, French Brettonians, on and on. The blending of real-world elements into Fantasy armies and settings is what brought me in. The years and years of lore hooked me. Gotrek and Felix is where a lot of people start in Warhammer Fantasy. That is gone now. Gone. The entire basis of my love for this game is gone. Of course, as many have said, just sit back in 8th edition and forget this whole new thing is happening. But I can't. I will never see another book set in the Old World. I won't see Old World artwork in my big red rule book. I won't see The Empire on a map. I won't see new models for The Empire as I knew it. Its hard to just sit back in 8th. Its giving up, but I feel like I've already been given up on.

Part 2: The Age of Sigmar. So we've all seen the new starter box. There are a number of complaints that I'm sure you've all seen. No point values, short rule sheet, no army size restrictions, etc. I don't mind the short rule sheet, or the new battle scrolls. I really like the quirky rules some units have (such as one of my empire models getting a bonus if I have a more impressive mustache than someone else. Which I do.) and don't feel they take away from the "serious" nature of the game. Lets remember that this is just a game. The issue that I see come up most often, and the one I think needs to be addressed, is the point system. There has to be SOMETHING to measure against. It can't be wounds, it can't be model count. Hopefully someone will work out a system that will catch on, but I see this as the biggest issue facing Age of Sigmar. It almost makes me want to roll up to the local GW with every single empire model I have and challenge all the new players using just the starter box. Of course I think this would get me kicked out, but GW has to understand that this just won't work in the long term.

So now Age of Sigmar is out and I doubt I will be seeing my beloved Empire again. I won't be seeing The Old World again. I feel like a piece of me is gone, and there is nothing I can do to get it back. I just don't see the point any more.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:05 pm

I think you're not alone into feeling like this and while I only entred recently into Fantasy, I have the same impression than you about the new rules and the elimination of the older fluff. When my friend finally got me into Fantasy (and with Ash and Clarence influence as well), what I wanted to experience is a mass combat and complex game with a lot of miniatures. Then I got this half cooked stuff. At first I thought I could like it, but the absence of point system totally turned me off. I don,t have two months to figure out if 20 sauruses are worth 30 or 40 Night Goblins. Besides, I'm hearing a ton of people saying that this game mostly finishes as a big blob in the center doing a chaotic melee without any traces of tactic or strategy. Seems that GW took the easy road and throwed their responsability in the face of the players : "We don't do enough money with Fantasy, so don't expect us to work a lot for you on this. Take your new models and be happy." That's how I feel being treated.

Now, my main fear is that GW takes the same road for 40k as I have ever been a 40k guy. I don't want to see 4 pages rules, nor the ability to take a mix of Tyranids, Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines in the same force. I don't want a chaotic and oversimplified game with no balancing or pt system or whatever. Currently, I feel 40k is the right mix of complexity, playability, fluff and fun. Sure, I hate Stength-D weapons, super heavies and the imbalances between codices, but the core of the game is still fun, interesting and immersive.

Edit : typos
Last edited by Kovlovsky on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:42 pm

Yeah...Malifaux is a great game :)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:51 pm

Another move. I feel your pain.

As for fantasy, I was just getting started.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Yeah... Age of Sigmar was kinda the final nail in Warhammer Fantasy's coffin for me. I always entertained the idea of starting back up if/when they paid attention to Bretonnians again... But now, the models I have seen look like medieval space marines. And while I kinda like the look...not for fantasy.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:56 pm

Sorry to hear you have to move again Hound =/ that's brutal in summer too

Idk what to think about AoS it's not what I was expecting. I'm probably going to ignore it frankly, as far as rules go, as I was just getting a handle on my doggone 8th edition book.

The models are cool looking but I'll be honest I'm completely confused about them - they do look like space marines kinda. And while I get the whole order vs chaos thing, those figures in particular look like something just thrown in randomly. I mean, are we supposed to just think angels vs demons here? I dunno. /me shrugs
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:04 pm

AoS miniatures look like Blood Angels versus Khorne Berserkers to me.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:32 pm

Slow day at work today, so I decided to browse the eBay app on my phone. While looking through my saved searches I came across something extra special for just $15. These guys are pretty hard to find, and usually go for $50-100 bucks for the set of 3.

In other Houndmaster news I've gotten moved into the new place and the new desk is set up. I will be unpacking my Warhammer tools, paints, and figures tonight so this will be a rather momentious occasion. I haven't seen some of these guys in over a year and I am excited to unpack. I'm also a little sad since I know that some of them are broken (specifically my War Altar) so I'll have some work to do repairing them. Either way I may have some pictures of my new hobby space on tonight.

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:17 pm

love deals like that Hound! great find

awesome about your new place hope it all gets sorted quickly and you can get back into some zen hobby time soon! :)

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:49 am

congrats on getting set up. I started unpacking my warhammer gear last night, as well.

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:03 pm

Well since its almost 2016 I figure its time to post again. This whole "being an adult" thing requires a lot more time than anticipated, so I've just now got around to a little painting. Here is a bog standard space marine for my Guardians of the Covenant. I gave him magnets because I was a bit bored.

Hopefully I'll have more to show after the Christmas holidays.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:47 pm

WB Hound!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:32 am

Good to see you painting...an magnetizing...I love magnets...

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:09 pm

He looks cool :D