TheHoundmaster's #theweeklypaint 2015

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
TheHoundmaster
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: TheHoundmaster's #theweeklypaint 2015

Post by TheHoundmaster » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:15 pm

Like this?

The Warhammer Fantasy Guy!

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:32 pm

OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:31 pm

O_0 that is one of the coolest conversions for the Empire.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:36 pm

That wasn't you though, I lurk over at warhammer empire! I can't remember who made it but it was one of the regulars.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Vault

Post by Vault » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:17 pm

Well that's a pretty cool thing.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

TheHoundmaster
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by TheHoundmaster » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:54 pm

It wasn't me, but it is mine! It was given as a gift to me during the pleasant surprise!

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:14 pm

Speaking of gifts. Love the table.

And good to have you back.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:04 pm

lol that's awesome

That hammer... LOL ouch!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:39 pm

Since it was my birthday today I decided to do some painting. Felt really great to finally sit down and get some paint on a model. I really like how the wood came out, especially the roof. I'll have to wait until I can find my dark gray and my brass/bronze paints to finish, but its mostly done. I may try some weathering on the stucco, or maybe add some jungle vines. I'd also like to do some OSL on the lantern as practice. Tell me what ya think!

Since I got all my equipment out and on a table again I hopefully will be posting more soon.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Looks good. Very empire-y

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:07 am

That reminds me I have to paint my own watchtower outhouse as well! It looks great so far!

Also hope you had a nice birthday!
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:51 pm

So I stopped in to my local GW here in Dallas to grab some paint that I have apparently lost. I had a little chat with the store owner on the state of Warhammer Fantasy and where it is going as I had some concerns. Take this with a grain of salt as it isn't official GW info yet, but he is fairly certain this is the new direction they are going.

Basically the game will be moving to the same/similar system as Lord of the Rings.

Smaller battles, easier movement rules.

Circular bases. This means new rules for forming ranks.

New army books that contain a large number of armies but a low number of units. Think "The World of Men" having The Empire, Brettonia, maybe Dwarfs. "Chaos" having Daemons, Chaos, and Beastmen. "Elves" having Wood, High, and Dark elves.

These books will contain a small number of units for each army. Maybe 2-3 special characters, core choices, a couple elites and a couple rares.

More special characters and units will be available in specific army books like the army books we have now.

Now this could be a good thing. This could allow some different army compositions, some more formations for individual armies, etc.

This could also be a bad thing. One thing he mentioned is that not all armies will likely get their own books starting out. Lizardmen were specifically mentioned as definitely not "squatted" (as they are the #3 most purchased Fantasy line) but most likely not coming in the initial release.

Some models may not be available after this new reboot goes live. They should reappear when there is a release that includes them in the army book. I would look hard into getting some special characters while they are still on the shelves or in the online store. Some of them will be squatted (Goodbye Karl Franz).

There will most likely be splash releases in the same manner as Warmachine and Hordes. When a new army book comes out there will be Karl Franz v1. He will be available for 6 months, disappear from the shop, and in the fullness of time be replaced with Karl Franz v2 when the army book is updated again.

With regards to the Lore the way he explained it was as follows: "All the races have been sent back to their home planets." The implication here is that not all the races are from The Old World. Specifically mentioned as not being from The Old World were the Lizardmen (who were created by The Old Ones), Beastmen (who appeared when the chaos portals were opened at the poles), Daemons (obviously), and Orcs (as they are most likely just Orks).

The idea he suggested would be a sort of Bioshock-style many-doors approach. I'm not sure what would prompt someone to want to go to the home world of the Beastmen, but he suggested that the races of The Old World will reunite either in a new world or in a drastically different Old World.

I mentioned that I would be sad to see my large battles between rank and file troops go. He mentioned that there would most likely be an "escalation" (He used the version from LotR but I forget what its called.) style supplement that would bring back big battles like in 8th edition. It just won't come right away.

All in all its a pretty massive reboot for Warhammer Fantasy. Things are going to get scary here in a little while for those who love the lore of Fantasy and the model lines, but who knows? It could be fun.

If you have questions ask me. I probably asked him, but forgot the write it down here.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:59 pm

Well, that would make sense in a fashion. It would still leave your horde armies viable, while having your specials/rares appropriately costed. From what I've heard, War of the Rings is a great system. I did try LotR years ago...and didn't care for it.

I still have faith!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:07 pm

I've also heard only good things about the actual rule set of LotR. Of course we can always just play 8th edition and call it "The True Warhammer Fantasy" while scoffing at the changes.

Also wanted to note on round bases: The store owner mentioned that you will still be able to play with square bases in the new addition (no idea about the one after that) but all future releases would use round bases. Also they are bringing the LotR round base movement trays back and in line for Fantasy.